The Legendary Pearl to Take On 14.1 Attempts

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I am going to correct the original post, but I wanted to mention that I have just been informed that Earl says that while his 408 is a well publicized number, in actuality, when he was 32 he ran a 480.

Lou Figueroa

Home_Alone.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: bbb

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bobby, it wasn't a typo -- it's what is out there.

If he has told you differently, as he has, that's another thing.

Lou Figueroa
Both numbers -- the 408 and the 480 are "another thing" in my view. I take them both with a grain of salt. The 480? when he was 32 (in 1993) . . . two years later, he played in the 1995 Maine Event produced by Grady in Portland,ME and played that now-prevalent 9-Ball-Straight Pool hybrid style with what I judged to be a lot of innocence regarding optimal or even efficient rack navigation pattern play.

I saw many of his matches in the Maine Event and that innocence was always apparent. Got into and out of self-imposed trouble a number of times saved by his remarkable shot making and high-mileage, multi-cushion CB traveling. That hybrid style can end very high runs more frequently than not.

Can't see him having hit numbers anywhere near those self-proclaimed ultra-high runs only two years prior to dicey 14.1 technique at Grady's event, but maybe some AZBers from the east coast have heard of substantiation by witnesses. All that said however, he's now had 25 years plus, of additional seasoning and exposure to the game's nuances, and may indeed lay down some very high numbers. And bless any 60 year-old's courage for his imminent attempts at very high numbers now.

Arnaldo

Last edited:

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's an Accu-Stats DVD of Earl playing the late Nick Vlahos in straight pool, and after Earl jumped out to a big lead Nick just tortured him, keeping him in jail while chopping off runs of his own to beat him easily.

The best part was in the interview after the match, where Vlahos said that while Earl was a great player and all that, he "just didn't understand the game" of straight pool. After watching the video it'd be hard to argue with that point.

Nick was a stone great matchmaker who kept mostly undercover and died way too young. Most talented all-around player I ever saw come out of the DC area, bar none, although Rags was before my time.
I may be in the minority with my opinion on this but I'll share anyway :)

I feel many make too much out of "straight pool knowledge". It ain't differential equations! There's some basic concepts that you need to know and apply, but there's no "deep secrets or technical knowledge that takes years to acquire". I don't believe Vlahos knows anything more about straight pool than Earl. If anything, he probably just has more mental discipline to execute his knowledge every time he's at the table and on every shot.

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hall of Fame player Earl "The Pearl" Strickland will participate in The Legends Of Pocket Billiards 14.1 challenge beginning December 28.

Though known primarily as one of the greatest 9 Ball players of all-time, Earl also has a 14.1 high run of 480. We will be announcing a start time when we get closer to the 28th. No doubt his participation in this event will generate some lively discussion. Goferit.

Lou Figueroa
Thanks and well done!
After the cup fiasco, nothing but best wishes for The Pearl!

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I may be in the minority with my opinion on this but I'll share anyway :)

I feel many make too much out of "straight pool knowledge". It ain't differential equations! There's some basic concepts that you need to know and apply, but there's no "deep secrets or technical knowledge that takes years to acquire". I don't believe Vlahos knows anything more about straight pool than Earl. If anything, he probably just has more mental discipline to execute his knowledge every time he's at the table and on every shot.
I agree. Of course knowledge helps, but all that matters is balls going into pockets at the end of the day. Earl is among the very best to have ever played this game at putting balls in pockets.

I can totally see a 90s Earl Strickland running 408 or even 480 or a soft table with relatively new Simonis cloth on it.