Using The Rail For More Position Options

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, pro player Tin Man (Demetrius Jelatis) and I just posted a new video that demonstrates how to take advantage of the rails for more position-play options. Check it out:

Contents (with timestamp links):
0:00 – Intro
0:24 – Back-Cut Options
1:30 – Forward-Cut Options
3:25 – Game Situation Examples
6:00 – Rail Target Drill
7:53 – Examples Using Drill Skills
8:43 – Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

rharm

Registered
Great video, love the sound effects. I know Tin Man loves using side spin and rails, these examples show how useful they can be.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
once again an excellent video very educational and well produced
Demetrious you play great👍

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That position on a corner pocket shot where you have an angle going in to the rail is one of the most important in pool. It comes up a couple times in most every rack. Drills like the one below can help to ingrain the shot and the position. Make the balls in rotation, always getting one rail position. Once you clear the 4, put all four balls back up and keep going.

9A538740-0643-4017-AB95-2A1B6D3F68FD.png

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
That position on a corner pocket shot where you have an angle going in to the rail is one of the most important in pool. It comes up a couple times in most every rack. Drills like the one below can help to ingrain the shot and the position. Make the balls in rotation, always getting one rail position. Once you clear the 4, put all four balls back up and keep going.

View attachment 620806

Well stated. And I agree ... that is a great drill.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

View attachment 620806
Well stated. And I agree ... that is a great drill.

FYI, I just added a quote of your post at the bottom of the leaving an angle for position resource page.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
FYI, pro player Tin Man (Demetrius Jelatis) and I just posted a new video that demonstrates how to take advantage of the rails for more position-play options.
You partnered up with the right guy for this type of thing IMO. Demetrius is smarter than your average bear and picks up on various intricacies and has various insights that many/most instructors quite simply never do come to recognize or realize. Bold statement but I believe it to be true based on what I've seen.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Very well done, gentleman, and useful drills for those looking to refine their skills.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very nice video that put some of yours earlier work to nice practical package.

Thanks. I'm sure some people (especially on YouTube and Facebook) think it is too "detailed" or too "technical" or "covers too much," but they are probably the people who can benefit the most.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You partnered up with the right guy for this type of thing IMO. Demetrius is smarter than your average bear and picks up on various intricacies and has various insights that many/most instructors quite simply never do come to recognize or realize. Bold statement but I believe it to be true based on what I've seen.

Demetrius is definitely better than most top players I've met concerning expressing some of the intricacies of the game, but I don't agree with you about "many/most instructors" not being aware of this stuff. Good instructors (especially the top ones) are excellent students of the game and know more than you give them credit for. They are also very good at expressing things and helping students learn.