The Legendary Pearl to Take On 14.1 Attempts

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Willie play on quite a few occasions; exhibitions, the Legends of Pool, matches with Fats and a couple of other times. He was well spoken, presented himself like the champion he was and went about his business like a professional. BUT, he did not suffer fools kindly! He was quick to show anger (yes he could be bad tempered) at any change in plans at the last minute or any extra requests that he did not already agree too. And when the gig was over he was ready to leave. He did not like hanging around to gab with fans, sign autographs or pose for photos.

My big regret with Willie was a long interview I did with him (one on one) during one of his visits to the Los Angeles in the early 90's. We were doing a "Willie Mosconi Open" at Hard Times and he was the guest of honor. Chuck Markulis had paid him $5,000 to come out and do exhibitions each day for three days. Early one morning he met me in the lobby area of the motel we were both staying at. We say down and had a long discussion about his childhood, growing up in Philly and how he became a pool player. He talked about some of his most important matches and who he had to play. Willie really opened up to me and I was thrilled to have all this on tape. The guy who shot/taped the whole thing came in from San Franscisco just for this purpose. All went well until.........later that day the video guy came to me at Hard Times and told me the battery had run out on his camera and he only had a few minutes of the interview recorded. He wanted me to do it again. Needless to say I was floored by this and angered as well, since the guy should have charged his camera battery before we started. There was no second interview (Willie would have never sat for a second interview if I told him what happened) and my wonderful talk with Willie Mosconi was lost in a cloud that evaporated into thin air.
I was in la in the early 90’s for Willie. I met him only then, what a weekend that was. 90 I think was the year.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The HyperTexts contain this line in their list of high runs: "Arthur "Babe" Cranfield, straight pool, 420 balls, in Syracuse on a 10' table, before a sizeable audience, per George Fels"

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8fts have been around a lot longer than the WPA has by well over a 100 years.

On March 3, 1990, the World Pool-Billiard Association was sanctioned by the general assembly as the international governing body for pool. The acronym WPA was selected so it would not conflict with the existing Women's Professional Billiard Association (WPBA). Membership in the WPA has grown since its inception

yes i know. we had an 8ft in youth rec center and another one in my primary school rec room. don't know why they are included in the term regulation size table but somehow they are.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was in la in the early 90’s for Willie. I met him only then, what a weekend that was. 90 I think was the year.
You were at the Willie Mosconi Open held at Hard Times. By then I had to remind Willie if he was repeating a trick shot he had already made during his exhibitions. He asked me to stop him if he started to set up the same shot again. His wife Flora came with him. She was a wonderful woman. He was blessed to have her always by his side. Willie was probably about 80 then.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad so see The Pearl is doing this.
One of the best players of all time.
Even for the greatest 14.1 players of any era and of any age, an extremely long 14.1 run, on any size table with any size pockets only happens if you can get absolutely no bad rolls on your break shots!

That is precisely why the old school 14.1 players had very controlled paced break shots as opposed to the more explosive break shots seen with some of the modern 14.1 players.

Don’t let the bigger pocket specs fool you as far as thinking that makes the extremely long runs easier - as that only increases the chances of scratching on the breakout shots.

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You were at the Willie Mosconi Open held at Hard Times. By then I had to remind Willie if he was repeating a trick shot he had already made during his exhibitions. He asked me to stop him if he started to set up the same shot again. His wife Flora came with him. She was a wonderful woman. He was blessed to have her always by his side. Willie was probably about 80 then.
But for Flora and several doctors extremely devoted to him and benevolently issuing strict health maintenance orders, Willie would have never made to his 80s.

After suffering a stroke in 1956, Mosconi obeyed doctors orders and warnings, and slowed down on his tournament appearances in order to recover.

He returned to the game at nearly 100% by 1957, when he once again won the BCA World Championship. Mosconi retired from tournament play in 1966 but remained active in promoting the game.

Prior to his near-fatal stroke Willie had been smoking three packs of cigarettes a day and drinking 25 cups of coffee daily:

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=DS19740114.2.81&e=-------en--20--1--txt-txIN--------1

Arnaldo

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

See posts, photos and more on Facebook.
www.facebook.com
www.facebook.com

Earl will be putting on an exhibition today at 3PM EST which we will live stream.

Lou Figueroa

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will there be someone doing commentary besides Earl?? LOL Hope there is audio either way..

Oh. I just heard some balls dropping!!!

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl can be a little fruity and maybe wound kinda tight, but he ain't a bad guy. None of us are perfect.

I personally believe he's a great entertainer and great for pool. When he's in stroke and in his groove, I've never seen anyone make the game look so easy.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday Earl said something like who shoots this straight at 60 years old, nobody! Not even Efren, it ain't even close.
He ain't wrong.
Also said they should put him on a table off by itself during tournaments so he doesn't disrupt the other players. Says he doesn't want to bother them and needs to be able to put on his show while he competes.
I couldn't agree more!

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday Earl said something like who shoots this straight at 60 years old, nobody! Not even Efren, it ain't even close.
He ain't wrong.
Also said they should put him on a table off by itself during tournaments so he doesn't disrupt the other players. Says he doesn't want to bother them and needs to be able to put on his show while he competes.
I couldn't agree more!
The only player who shoots perhaps as straight as him at nearly the same age is Bustamante

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who's given this a shot, and what's the high run of each who have? I did not see in on the FB page.

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who's given this a shot, and what's the high run of each who have? I did not see in on the FB page.
I looked back through old posts. I think it's:

SVB: 308
Ruslan Chinahov: 266 (Cut his time short, two 266's out of 9 attempts...strong)
Earl?