UNI-LOC joint - the real story

paul j

With all you experts, available,please answer this question? If the cue joint is seated (disregard the type of joint) does the tightness of the twisting motion effect the hit, feel etc?

DeeDeeCues

With all you experts, available,please answer this question? If the cue joint is seated (disregard the type of joint) does the tightness of the twisting motion effect the hit, feel etc?

Yes. The tighter it is assembled, the more force on the faces, reduces chances that it will loosen during play and increases the assembly strength.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. The tighter it is assembled, the more force on the faces, reduces chances that it will loosen during play and increases the assembly strength.
Will tightening the joint *a lot* cause wood threads to strip? I kind of gingerly tighten my radial joint cue. Should I snug it up firmly?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will tightening the joint *a lot* cause wood threads to strip? I kind of gingerly tighten my radial joint cue. Should I snug it up firmly?
crank it down tight. only way to strip it is if you don't start it correctly. as long as you don't cross thread it you can't over tighten it. on flat-faced joints you want those faces TIGHT together.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

You run far more risk of destroying a wood thread with it loose. Tightening it snug but not gorilla tight is a good idea as is the habit of checking the joint for snug when you pick up a cue now and then during play. Some joints seem to loosen during play, some to tighten. Of course some do neither.

Some old rules of thumb referred to length of thread engagement compared to diameter, another was that seven threads needed to be in contact. Some cue threads don't meet these conditions and I would think these joints are more likely to move around.

Hu

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. The problem I have with a tapered interface is that it is impossible to matter the taper and the face, unless one is compliant.

Also tougher to machine than I think it's necessary.
I'm not a Machinist or an Engineer, I've just worked with both and sold/recommended tools for both for a few decades. Know enough to be dangerous.

I threw this up because of the comments on alignment. I'm not sure if those posts were referring to aligning up the threads to prevent cross threading or alignment after fully assembled.

For sure this joint is more difficult to machine, requiring much closer tolerances to properly work, but its a solid design. Thinking of Morse and Jacobs tapered tooling. If I remember correctly when Layoni was introducing his cues on here, he said the only purpose for the threaded stud was sometimes users found the joint loosening from not being joined properly, and sometimes users found it difficult to take apart. The screw simply takes the place of a drift and lead hammer to assemble and take apart.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not a Machinist or an Engineer, I've just worked with both and sold/recommended tools for both for a few decades. Know enough to be dangerous.

I threw this up because of the comments on alignment. I'm not sure if those posts were referring to aligning up the threads to prevent cross threading or alignment after fully assembled.

For sure this joint is more difficult to machine, requiring much closer tolerances to properly work, but its a solid design. Thinking of Morse and Jacobs tapered tooling. If I remember correctly when Layoni was introducing his cues on here, he said the only purpose for the threaded stud was sometimes users found the joint loosening from not being joined properly, and sometimes users found it difficult to take apart. The screw simply takes the place of a drift and lead hammer to assemble and take apart.

I suspect that you know that oilfield drill stem that has tens of thousands of feet of it drilling through solid rock with over a thousand joints sometimes, has a tapered joint of sorts. I have been in the lead tong position on a drill floor and made quite a few of those connections myself and still don't understand how they connected in the oil field. Had the drill stem used as a quick connect stiff leg on an old wrecker too, pretty stout all around. Would seem to have potential as a thread for a pool cue joint but I have to admit I don't understand it. It takes more turns to tighten than I would have thought but less than the same engagement of straight threads I believe. DIIK!

Hu