The Legendary Pearl to Take On 14.1 Attempts

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip...
Edit: like Lassiter. Apparently his patterns were “not textbook” and he claimed to have a high run “of not missing for two and a half hours.”

Figure he took like 4-5 mins a rack? What’s that like 350 - 400? I believe that too.

...snip...

Funny you mentioned Lassiter. Danny mentioned him in the Strickland vs Ervolino 1995 match. He said Lassiter was the best 9 ball player, but he stunk at straight pool. Played it exactly like Earl in 1995. He then said he stuck with the game, and 2 years later, he was the best at that game as well. He then Said if Earl sticks with it, he can learn it and do the same.

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I totally get your point. Obviously his high run is not on video. But I am inclined to believe that an Earl Strickland in his prime - a level of pool very few have come close to (and some will say no one has reached) - powered through enough racks with enough luck to hit the 400s.

Of course I have no way of proving this. But I can see it happening. I’m sure it wasn’t pretty if it was anything like these past few days. But a prime Earl? I can see it.

Edit: like Lassiter. Apparently his patterns were “not textbook” and he claimed to have a high run “of not missing for two and a half hours.”

Figure he took like 4-5 mins a rack? What’s that like 350 - 400? I believe that too.

Actually the run total was exactly 500 and he quit. It was on his personal table with several witnesses. I'm very good friends with the Family and Wimpy never gave a shit about records or trophies only cash.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Funny you mentioned Lassiter. Danny mentioned him in the Strickland vs Ervolino 1995 match. He said Lassiter was the best 9 ball player, but he stunk at straight pool. Played it exactly like Earl in 1995. He then said he stuck with the game, and 2 years later, he was the best at that game as well. He then Said if Earl sticks with it, he can learn it and do the same.
Ditto. Lassiter played the patterns with mediocrity, but he did win the straight pool event at Johnston City five times, so he was as dangerous as anyone. Still, I don't agree that Lassiter ever surpassed Irving Crane's level of play in straight pool.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Looks to me like more than strategy is lacking - he also needs to slow down, focus more on each shot and manage his impatience.

He’s a world class sprinter, but 14.1 is a marathon.

pj <- like I know something
chgo
My take is; he thinks the table is a joke. Earl is the guy who wants no side pocket s 10 foot 4 inch pocket s. I have watched enough to see what the pocket s take. Turns my stomach. But perfectly acceptable for exhibition uh records. His missed shots and disregard for precision with Whitey seems to come from inattention due the 5 gallon buckets in the corner s.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Did you see how bad that CB rolled off at about 1:10 when he was shooting the ball in the side and playing for that ball in the corner that the CB ended up frozen to? He didn't even blink an eye. Made it so the bangers had no idea anything was wrong.
2 and a half hours? Shoot I heard of Bobby Hunter going uh well it was in weeks without missing. Maybe 2 and 1/2. From a reliable source..

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl looks exactly the same the past 3 days. No improvement on his patterns. I don't know how he could have run 408 or 480.
Another comment from the 1995 match is Billy said he never, ever, saw Earl play straight pool. Danny said he asked Earl to lend his name to the game and play in all the straight pool events the prior 10 years, and Earl always refused.
Easy to answer -- neither of the alleged 400-plus runs ever happened.

Arnaldo

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Our statistics expert could give the odds on imaginary numbers. The Khaki Guy. ;)
Just remembered the lies, damn lies and statistics.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy to answer -- neither of the alleged 400-plus runs ever happened.

Arnaldo
You think Earl lied about these feats? Are there any witnesses?

Maybe he did- I have no way of knowing for sure. However, for as straight as he shoots, is it really that doubtful he could have run so many balls at nearly half the age he is now?

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You think Earl lied about these feats? Are there any witnesses?

Maybe he did- I have no way of knowing for sure. However, for as straight as he shoots, it is really that doubtful he could have run so many balls at nearly half the age he is now?
14.1 is played like poetry in motion, if you don't know what that poetry in motion is today, you didn't know what it was 40 years ago either, sorry!

tomatoshooter

He doesn’t look like he’s got the intensity in his eyes.
Makes me think of the 1983 Caesars Tahoe Classic vs Steve Mizerak. Earl was a man on a mission that day and would not be denied. Just a crazy look in his eyes like balls on felt was a crime against humanity and he must put an end to it. That day he achieved that purity of focus and execution that is so unbelievably rare, even generational athletes experience it only on a couple of occasions in their lifetimes if they are lucky. That's one of the greatest athletic performances ever, like Wilt Chamberlain's 20,000 women...I mean 100 point game. If you want to show someone what "the zone" is that's what you show them. I mean Earl, not Wilt, but yeah, that works, too.