Are there any videos of Dr Dave playing in a match or league setting on YouTube ?

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, to use an analogy in an entirely different sports venue, pro golfers rely on using instructors.
And these instructors are seldom former professional golfers that competed and won tournaments.

There are always exceptions but by and large the top name pro golf instructors are very knowledgeable.
Dave Leadbetter, Hank Haney, Peter Kostis never played pro golf. Butch Harmon only won 1 tournament.

To be an instructor requires knowledge & the ability to impart, to effectively communicate it to the student.
This requires conciseness, ability to articulate what occurs and why & talent to visually illustrate by example.

Dr. Dave is obviously a humble person but any of us that have played for awhile recognize a truly great pool stroke.
Like Vinny’s break in The Color of Money, it commands your attention. That’s Dr. Dave’s pool stroke…it’s top shelf.

He might not enter a tournament and win it but he’ll put a lot of players out much earlier than himself. And I betcha
when he is old enough, he could successfully compete and win on a Senior Circuit. He should play 10 ball or 8 ball.
Pro players have too much dominance with the opening break in 9 ball competition. Dave needs a chance to shoot.
While I have no doubt that Dr. Dave is an excellent instructor, I think his legacy will be his analytical researches applying the Scientific Method to answer questions about things like the physics of pool, effectiveness of various chalks, mearuring the difficulty of tables and the like. There are and have been a lot of excellent instructors, but no one else, that I am aware of, is doing the kind of work he has.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly these questions always seem to come up about instructors. What's the Fargo rate? How many major tournament wins? What Dr. Dave has given free to the pool world is unmatched by any freakin' body. That he sells videos? Not for nothing but his videos are produced to the highest quality and are top of the line in subject matter too. While I have plenty of his videos, I hope to attend a Dr.Dave workshop too. Yeah, I'm a fan, I don't care if SVB can beat him up.
Yes.....and most of the time the agenda is "he or she can't play top level pool so why use them as an instructor....or pay attention to his or her content"!

Doctor Dave and his work are appreciated by most. It is cool to go through his videos.

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm more interested to know how someone could stay interested in the game for so long without competing regularly. I don't compete all that often myself, but just knowing there's an occasional event or two out on the horizon gives me some motivation to practice. Do you even have a regular sparring partner?

I'm actually impressed you can run a rack at all with how rarely you have competed. That takes a lot of knowledge, dedication, and extraordinary self-awareness.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm more interested to know how someone could stay interested in the game for so long without competing regularly. I don't compete all that often myself, but just knowing there's an occasional event or two out on the horizon gives me some motivation to practice. Do you even have a regular sparring partner?

I play in a VNEA league (and the associated tournaments on occasion). That gives me my competition fix.

I don't have a sparring partner, but I work on personal challenges (and money challenges that I offer periodically) to motivate myself:

I think these challenges have boosted my game to most.

I'm actually impressed you can run a rack at all with how rarely you have competed. That takes a lot of knowledge, dedication, and extraordinary self-awareness.

Thanks. Again, the league competition and the personal challenges help improve my game. And as you know, I am a dedicated student of the game (and of my gam in particular). Teaching pool also helps keep me sharp because it gives me constant reminders of the good things I should be doing and the bad things I should not be doing (by seeing them in my students and helping them to improve).

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in a VNEA league (and the associated tournaments on occasion). That gives me my competition fix.

I don't have a sparring partner, but I work on personal challenges (and money challenges that I offer periodically) to motivate myself:

I think these challenges have boosted my game to most.

Thanks. Again, the league competition and the personal challenges help improve my game. And as you know, I am a dedicated student of the game (and of my gam in particular). Teaching pool also helps keep me sharp because it gives me constant reminders of the good things I should be doing and the bad things I should not be doing (by seeing them in my students and helping them to improve).
Do you ever play 14.1 on your own or in competition?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you ever play 14.1 on your own or in competition?

I have never competed, but I did run my age (57) when I posted the Straight Pool “Run Your Age” and “Run 100 Minus Your Age” Challenge. That was the only few days I've ever really tried to play straight pool. I plan to attempt to run my age again every year during the month of my birthday (October). I'll also try to run 100 some day, but that would honestly probably take quite a bit of work for me.

soyale

I have never competed, but I did run my age (57) when I posted the Straight Pool “Run Your Age” and “Run 100 Minus Your Age” Challenge. That was the only few days I've ever really tried to play straight pool. I plan to attempt to run my age again every year during the month of my birthday (October). I'll also try to run 100 some day, but that would honestly probably take quite a bit of work for me.

i'm surprised to hear that you don't play more 14.1, especially if you ran 57 after trying for only a few days. I was looking on your channel for more 14.1 strategies and traps but couldn't find any and this explains why.

There's so much information about the game on this forum but most of it has to be scraped out of the middle of a massive argument. it would be nice to have the cliff notes in a digestible visual medium, which you happen to excel at. Davenotes, perhaps. Thanks again for all you do. When will you be at Felt, next? i want to come watch you play

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
i'm surprised to hear that you don't play more 14.1, especially if you ran 57 after trying for only a few days. I was looking on your channel for more 14.1 strategies and traps but couldn't find any and this explains why. There's so much information about the game on this forum but most of it has to be scraped out of the middle of a massive argument. it would be nice to have the cliff notes in a digestible visual medium, which you happen to excel at. Davenotes, perhaps.

I have done almost no instructional videos related to straight pool because I've never really played or studied the game much. One of these days, I should do a Video Encyclopedia of Straight Pool (VESP) project with Bob Jewett and/or Bob Keller. I just worry that it would be a ton of work and not many people would be interested (small market). I have some straight pool things on my "future YouTube video" list, but my "list" is quite long and I am constantly reprioritizing it based on current interest.

Thanks again for all you do.

You're welcome. I aim to swerve. 🤓

When will you be at Felt, next? i want to come watch you play

I don't get down to Denver much, and almost never to play. I already have enough stuff keeping me busy in Fort Collins. If you want to see videos of me playing, I have a bunch under "Example Videos of Dr. Dave Playing Pool" near the bottom of the page here:

soyale

I have done almost no instructional videos related to straight pool because I've never really played or studied the game much. One of these days, I should do a Video Encyclopedia of Straight Pool (VESP) project with Bob Jewett and/or Bob Keller. I just worry that it would be a ton of work and not many people would be interested (small market). I have some straight pool things on my "future YouTube video" list, but my "list" is quite long and I am constantly reprioritizing it based on current interest.

You're welcome. I aim to swerve. 🤓

I don't get down to Denver much, and almost never to play. I already have enough stuff keeping me busy in Fort Collins. If you want to see videos of me playing, I have a bunch under "Example Videos of Dr. Dave Playing Pool" near the bottom of the page here:

that's understandable. i'll just keep observing from a distance. keep it up!