Eagle Eye Takes Aim at 14.1 High Runs

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
These from the WPA are a bit different than the BCA "Amateur" Specs

The purpose of these specifications shall be to set standards for equipment used at all WPA World Championships, WPA World Tour events and other WPA sanctioned and/or recognized events. These specifications do not necessarily apply to tables manufactured for commercial home use. At its sole discretion, the World Pool-Billiard Association can sanction tournaments on tables not in compliance with these specifications.

9. POCKET OPENINGS AND MEASUREMENTS​

Only rubber facings of minimum 1/16 [1.5875 mm] to maximum ¼ inch [6.35 mm] thick may be used at pocket jaws. The WPA-preferred maximum thickness for facings is 1/8 inch [3.175 mm]. The facings on both sides of the pockets must be of the same thickness. Facings must be of hard re-enforced rubber glued with strong bond to the cushion and the rail, and adequately fastened to the wood rail liner to prevent shifting. The rubber of the facings should be somewhat harder than that of the cushions.

The pocket openings for pool tables are measured between opposing cushion noses where the direction changes into the pocket (from pointed lip to pointed lip). This is called mouth.

Corner Pocket Mouth: between 4.5 [11.43 cm] and 4.625 inches [11.75 cm]
Side Pocket Mouth: between 5 [12.7 cm] and 5.125 inches [13.0175 cm]
*The mouth of the side pocket is traditionally ½ inch [1.27 cm] wider than
the mouth of the corner pocket.

Vertical Pocket Angle (Back Draft): 12 degrees minimum to15 degrees maximum.

Horizontal Pocket Cut Angle: The angle must be the same on both sides of a pocket entrance. The cut angles of the rubber cushion and its wood backing (rail liner) for both sides of the corner pocket entrance must be 142 degrees (+1). The cut angles of the rubber cushion and its wood backing (rail liner) for both sides of the side pocket entrance must be 104 degrees (+1).

Shelf: The shelf is measured from the center of the imaginary line that goes from one side of the mouth to the other – where the nose of the cushion changes direction – to the vertical cut of the slate pocket cut. Shelf includes bevel.

Corner Pocket Shelf: between 1 [2.54 cm] and 2 ¼ inches [5.715 cm]
Side Pocket Shelf: between 0 and .375 inches [.9525 cm]
This is all redundant when it comes to 14,1 high runs.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
And harder to control the cue ball and the movements of the object balls and extra scratches. So the pockets are legit, the cloth is legit and the balls are legit the stream is great quality and The world greatest players playing and the stream is free. Oh well no reason to break it down anymore as we are trying to help our sport and the players in which we all should try to do.
Pockets are legit? Said to be 5" in this picture, not you're saying smaller than 5"? Legit pockets are smaller in the throat, not the same width as the mouth, throw a tape on that throat, show how wide it is, or Isn't according to you. Legit pockets my ass, but that's ok, your event, BS the viewers all you want, they're just a bunch of nobody's that will believe anything you say. And a 311 high run on a Diamond, don't that put you in the highest run ever on a Diamond?
20211106_144057.jpg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pockets are legit? Said to be 5" in this picture, not you're saying smaller than 5"? Legit pockets are smaller in the throat, not the same width as the mouth, throw a tape on that throat, show how wide it is, or Isn't according to you. Legit pockets my ass, but that's ok, your event, BS the viewers all you want, they're just a bunch of nobody's that will believe anything you say. And a 311 high run on a Diamond, don't that put you in the highest run ever on a Diamond?
View attachment 624915
This is an abnormal pocket facing angle, clearly altered on this table by a highly skilled table mechanic, for the express purpose of maximizing the high runs obtained in this contest. I see no issue with this, as long as this fact is openly stated by those staging this event.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand these pockets are just under 5” mouth measurements in the corners, but could you please provide us with the PFA (pocket facing angles) for the corner pockets?

That degree number will tell the tale more than anything as to how these pockets are playing. Any number less than 140° would explain why the corner pockets are playing considerably more generous than a standard corner pocket is supposed to play on a pool table. - Thanks

Bobby has chosen not to release additional photos and measurements, basically feeling that nothing will make some people happy so why bother.

All I can tell you is that he sent me photos of the pockets with calipher measurements and I’m good with them but will honor his wishes given they are his photos. And as I’ve said, just for my own peace of mind I talked to one of the best table mechanics in the Midwest and he said our pocket specs were within allowable limits. This mechanic owes me nothing (I don’t even own a table) and has no vested interest in our event.

So bottom line is that it’s Bobby’s call.

Lou Figueroa

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This is an abnormal pocket facing angle, clearly altered on this table for the express purpose of maximizing the high runs obtained in this contest. I see no issue with this, as long as this fact is openly stated by those staging this event.
And neither do I, but to insist on how legitimate the pockets are as a way of hosting a legitimate event on a legitimately stock GC3 when its CLEARLY NOT is in my opinion just trying to fool the public into believing something that simply isn't true!

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess based on these shots, that these tables were also not in spec.
Thanks for these, useful to see. The 3rd one was indeed a surprise.

I haven't watched a whole lot of w/Jayson, but I'd like another look at the only bank I saw him shoot - it was cross corner to (viewer's) left bottom pocket, the banked ball hit the first long rail maybe 1/2-way between the 1st and 2nd diamond. Banked way long, hit the foot rail about even with the score counter, but still caught the point on the long rail and dropped. I'd go look for it...but not sure where it was, maybe somebody has it. I'm thinking it maybe was the end of a rack 14 sometime yesterday?

If I remember correctly, it was the key ball to get on the break ball just above it; no problem to cut, but too thin to (easily) get on the break ball.

Anyway - an incredible performance. And not just the shooting, the persistence is world class too.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Bobby has chosen not to release additional photos and measurements, basically feeling that nothing will make some people happy so why bother.

All I can tell you is that he sent me photos of the pockets with calipher measurements and I’m good with them but will honor his wishes given they are his photos. And as I’ve said, just for my own peace of mind I talked to one of the best table mechanics in the Midwest and he said our pocket specs were within allowable limits. This mechanic owes me nothing (I don’t even own a table) and has no vested interest in our event.

So bottom line is that it’s Bobby’s call.

Lou Figueroa
The TRUTH shall set Bobby free, throw a tape measure on the throat of them caverns and let's see how wide they are😅🤣

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And neither do I, but to insist on how legitimate the pockets are as a way of hosting a legitimate event on a legitimately stock GC3 when its CLEARLY NOT is in my opinion just trying to fool the public into believing something that simply isn't true!

We have talked about this.

Lou Figueroa

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m not sure what’s more impressive. The multiple near 400s or that a pool player got up at like normal people time.

Kidding aside, he’s gotta be hungry for a 400. Let’s go Jayson!
If he was hungry for a 400 he had several ducks he could of sank when he went for the combo in the 390s. He is hungry for 527 and 627.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Is Jayson shooting today?
That Scotsman is firing away as we speak...type.

I was just watching him and wondering how much he’s enjoying it. It looks like he’s having a good time.

He’s getting some cash to just run balls, he’s getting tuned up for a pool players paradise (DCC), got a new lifetime high run and he’s smoking through racks on a generous setup. It must be pro player heaven.

I play on 9’ diamonds 90% so when I hit a 4.75” GC or the occasional 7’ diamond or the mother of all fun tables, the valley - I’m happy as a clam. I can only imagine that’s magnified 10x for every 100 Fargorate points, and jayson is like 300 above me so that’s 30x the fun at least. Like a pig in sh!t😎😜😜

realkingcobra

Silver Member
We have talked about this.

Lou Figueroa
Yes we have, but as long as Bobby keeps insisting "legit" pockets instead of admitting they're "slightly" modified, I'm being invited to correct his BS. Measure the throat of the pocket, post the results, and call it a day, it IS what it IS then, the truth!!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pretty remarkable how he's able to get such high runs when he often ends up inside the rack after his break shot.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
It's pretty remarkable how he's able to get such high runs when he often ends up inside the rack after his break shot.
I think that's a common outcome with the high ball break shot. Notice he hits the top rail a lot and drifts up table too with the follow - he's learned to not whack it too hard and wind up on the bottom rail.