A new model for 14.1 High runs?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
So if you set a new 25/1 Record, in the big picture with is the pay day? Dollar & Cents.

Would’ve better off on the PGA Tour, if it is money your chasing.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The model presented assumes $0 toward administrative costs.

Who is going to maintain records and vet claims and make decisions on the half of the effort...for free?

The idea is dead in the water, unless the effort will have competent and funded people to float it.

gerryf

The model presented assumes $0 toward administrative costs.

Who is going to maintain records and vet claims and make decisions on the half of the effort...for free?

The idea is dead in the water, unless the effort will have competent and funded people to float it.
the original idea seems to have gone through a few iterations, and they're not all consistent.

But the basic one, is that I can set up a GoFundMe for a John Schmidt record run today, for free. John can arrange with a room owner for table space, and use of a webcam and stream. If John wants to split some of the money with the room owner or his scorekeeper or his racker, that's his call. If John wants to arrange external sponsors or backers, who would then get publicity or a share of the prize, that's his call as well. If John wants to set up his stream with paid advertising, that's his call.

Then John Schmidt on his own time tries to break a record. When he does, i gather that I confirm it and tell GoFundMe to release the funds.

If John doesn't break the record in the time allotted, everybody gets their money back minus the processing charge.

Not a lot of overhead for me unless I'm missing something.

Someone messaged me about the cost and complication of obtaining BCA certification, but talking about it with others, there seems to be a sense that it doesn't matter. If Player X posts a video on Youtube showing himself running 1000 balls, it will be the de facto record. Seeking BCA certification only seems to make sense when there isn't a freely accessible video.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the original idea seems to have gone through a few iterations, and they're not all consistent.

But the basic one, is that I can set up a GoFundMe for a John Schmidt record run today, for free. John can arrange with a room owner for table space, and use of a webcam and stream. If John wants to split some of the money with the room owner or his scorekeeper or his racker, that's his call. If John wants to arrange external sponsors or backers, who would then get publicity or a share of the prize, that's his call as well. If John wants to set up his stream with paid advertising, that's his call.

Then John Schmidt on his own time tries to break a record. When he does, i gather that I confirm it and tell GoFundMe to release the funds.

If John doesn't break the record in the time allotted, everybody gets their money back minus the processing charge.

Someone messaged me about the cost and complication of obtaining BCA certification, but talking about it with others, there seems to be a sense that it doesn't matter. If Player X posts a video on Youtube showing himself running 1000 balls, it will be the de facto record. Seeking BCA certification only seems to make sense when there isn't a freely accessible video.
I don't see the course above sustainable. For a one time go, and for Schmidt, highly likely to work though if done in the short term.

And re BCA: it is beholden to no one other than itself and to think it will continue to vet runs and render opinions on their legitimacy is a huge hazard.

I'd think some sort of appearance of certification/ legitimacy is crucial.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Time allotted? What kind of time-frame are you referring to?

gerryf

I don't see the course above sustainable. For a one time go, and for Schmidt, highly likely to work though if done in the short term.

And re BCA: it is beholden to no one other than itself and to think it will continue to vet runs and render opinions on their legitimacy is a huge hazard.

I'd think some sort of appearance of certification/ legitimacy is crucial.
I agree. I think prizes targeted to particular players are simplest to run. Schmidt, Ruslan, et. al. Second is prizes targeted at regions. Poland, Philippines, etc., Third is open prizes.

The admin overhead for targeting at specific players is pretty simple. The other's would require more work.

On the one hand I can see BCA happily involved in vetting records, but only if their profile is raised in the process. I suspect that BCA would be less happy about doing that as time goes on though. But I agree it's not something you'd want to rely on.

gerryf

Time allotted? What kind of time-frame are you referring to?
I think for a prize event you'd have to have at least three to six months?? I wouldn't be surprised if Schmidt or Ruslan or Filler could break the 714 in a week or two, but life sometimes gets in the way of doing the fun things.

gerryf

I agree. I think prizes targeted to particular players are simplest to run. Schmidt, Ruslan, et. al. Second is prizes targeted at regions. Poland, Philippines, etc., Third is open prizes.
Of course there is another option. JOHN SCHMIDT vs. DANNY HARRIMAN 14.1 Challenge. The first to set a new record walks away with the money!

That would likely stir up some interest.!

You could have each stream on a screen, and view them simultaneously, but even better, have a 'cage' match, with John and Danny in the same room but on adjacent tables!!