EU Sanctions and the Mosconi Cup

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please, no political rants.

Many sports are banning Russian teams. Some sports are allowing Russians to play, but no anthem, flag or spectators. If this leads to individual Russians being banned, whither Fedor?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Has a player ever been barred from pro pool competition on the basis of nationality alone? If so, I sure don't remember it. A general edict barring all Russians from entry into the United States also seems very unlikely to me. We'll see how things develop, but Russia was just banned from the World Cup.

Fedor plays pool as well as just about anyone in the world right now, let alone in Europe. Even American fans want to see him play at the Mosconi, which is meant to be a gathering of the most elite players from Europe and America.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tkach posted saying she just was informed the Russian players aren’t allowed at the European Championships.
9E403E5E-CAC7-4752-A810-88253D9E8E83.jpeg

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has a player ever been barred from pro pool competition on the basis of nationality alone? If so, I sure don't remember it. A general edict barring all Russians from entry into the United States also seems very unlikely to me. We'll see how things develop, but Russia was just banned from the World Cup.

Fedor plays pool as well as just about anyone in the world right now, let alone in Europe. Even American fans want to see him play at the Mosconi, which is meant to be a gathering of the most elite players from Europe and America.
The civilized world is pretty united in making it difficult for Russians to move about the world freely.
They're invasion of Ukraine is unpopular to say the least and the world wants Russia to pay for it every way possible.
Even the Swiss, famous for their neutrality, has weighed in against them.
Don't be surprised if Russian players are not welcomed in any tournaments.
In fact, I expect it to be so.

Last edited:

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine if American athletes were banned when Bush attacked Iraq or when Obama illegally destroyed Libya. I hope Fedor remembers who was shitty to him.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The civilized world is pretty united in making it difficult for Russians to move about the world freely.
Theyr invasion of Ukraine is unpopular to say the least and the world wants Russia to pay for it every way possible.
I think you're probably right. It's a shame so many people are getting their lives destroyed by this asshat, Russians included. Their tiny shitty economy is already on the verge of collapse and hopefully the sanctions put further pressure on him causing a withdrawal. Natural gas, oil and steel pay for half the government's budget, so once the world puts the screws to that coupled with the current restrictions, I'd bet Putin's mother will be ready to whack his ass.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Theyr invasion of Ukraine is unpopular to say the least and the world wants Russia to pay for it every way possible.
You may be right, but I hope you're wrong.

Will the US Open tennis bar its defending champion Daniil Medvedev because he's Russian?

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Tkach posted saying she just was informed the Russian players aren’t allowed at the European Championships.
View attachment 631192
Not clear what this attachment means. The Euro Championships does have a team event in which Team Russia would normally participate, but it also has individual events in 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball and straight pool. Can Russian players play in the other events or are they banned from those events, too.

kling&allen

Registered
You may be right, but I hope you're wrong.

Will the US Open tennis bar its defending champion Daniil Medvedev because he's Russian?

It's currently impossible to transfer money to a Russian bank account from outside Russia so that's a complicating factor. As is the inability for Russian civilian aircraft to fly in the West.

Reactions: sjm

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not clear what this attachment means. The Euro Championships does have a team event in which Team Russia would normally participate, but it also has individual events in 8-ball, 9-ball, 10-ball and straight pool. Can Russian players play in the other events or are they banned from those events, too.
Hopefully, Kristina, Fedor and others from the banned countries will be allowed to play, but I am sure country emblems, names and country colors will not be allowed.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like they are banned from singles also. Gorst and Tkach are no longer on the players list for any of the events.

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
I think you're probably right. It's a shame so many people are getting their lives destroyed by this asshat, Russians included. Their tiny shitty economy is already on the verge of collapse and hopefully the sanctions put further pressure on him causing a withdrawal. Natural gas, oil and steel pay for half the government's budget, so once the world puts the screws to that coupled with the current restrictions, I'd bet Putin's mother will be ready to whack his ass.
And you would be 180° wrong.
Wag the dog.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom was willing to enforce Billy’s ban for Mosconi Cup at WPA’s behest within the umbrella of WADA and IOC. Seems like not only might Fedor have a challenge gaining ranking points but I can imagine Matchroom enforcing a Russian ban at WPA’s behest too.