You can take lessons from the best pro ..

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
While I'm in no position to comment on his teaching skills, I think Nick is probably the most knowledgeable person in America on the subject of pool in the last 50 years. At times in his career, he was the best in the world in each of bank pool, one pocket, straight pool, nine ball and eight ball. His all-around knowledge is just mind-blowing.
I was at California Billiards back before it moved to Fremont CA. Nick was at the next table giving a lesson. Not only is he extremely knowledgeable, he is a genuinely nice guy.

-dj

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'd like to get to be coached by SVB , Earl Strickland and yes Nick Varner , if I could click my heals and get my wishes Frank McGown and Grady Mathews I sure miss Frank ha ha
None of these are in any special order .
Frank McGown and Al Balukas (Jean's dad) were business partners in one or two ventures, and, if memory serves, Frank was among Jean Balukas' early influences. I saw Frank play on many occasions, and he was definitely one of the old masters.

Rusty in Montana

Frank and I got to go hunting a few times I'm not sure why we never went fishing though we talked about it a few times and we played pool I must admit I couldn't beat him no matter how hard I tried ! I wish I'd of recorded the stories he told me about his hay day of pool playing .

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's different kinds of lessons. There's a kind of instruction that's given to a beginner, then instruction for more advanced players, and then you've got instructions involving gaming situations and how to play certain games.

I watched Mizerak give a one pocket lesson to a guy. It was great. It was not a bunch of if you're here do this or if you're there do that, it was a philosophy of the game.

How to evaluate balls, your side of the table, his side of the table and so on. He wasn't teaching the what to do but the how and why you were doing it so you could use the same evaluation on any shot. I guess that's the way you would expect a real teacher to teach, the student has to know why he's doing this.

I used to play with the Diliberto a lot not lessons just practice but they always seem to turn into lessons. There would always be points where I would do something and he quiz me on why I did it that way and then we would talk about it.

This was not to be critical just to maybe give me another perspective on the situation. He also would show me things that worked for a player of my skill level. In other words not necessarily what he would do, but what I should do.
Finally..the correct answer. Now for the beginning player, Scott Lee for the beginning player and above. God rest his soul.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
0B290EC1-5437-4FA7-BEED-A468AF022138.jpeg

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
Only just noticed the female part of the original post. A great choice would be BCA Master Instructor Fran Crimi of New York.
The distinction between great player and great teacher was my first reaction too. I'm sure Fran Crimi would be an outstanding instructor.

As for pro players, I'm guessing Allison Fisher, Karen Corr, and Nick Varner are strong teachers.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he still gives lessons my choice would be Ray Martin.
If you’re looking for the best bang for your buck to improve your fundamentals, your stroke and your skill level, you’re not going to be able to beat working with one of the top full-time instructors like a Mark Wilson or Jerry Briesath.

If you’re already a very good player and not likely wanting or needing to tweak your fundamentals, then an accomplished pro such as a Ray Martin or Nick Varner may be your best bet.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My choise would be WU, Fong Pang Chao and Darren Appleton.
Hmm. On second thought I would change Chao to 3-Cushion player Frederick Caudron. He have some Youtube videos that are really nice. Many pool players would benefit to learn carom games too IMHO.

Reactions: bbb

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took a lesson from Dallas -- a great experience.

Lou Figueroa
Years ago, while in Rockford, IL taking lessons at Cue-U, I was going to meet him but for some reason it never happened. I would have loved spending a couple of hours with him

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago, while in Rockford, IL taking lessons at Cue-U, I was going to meet him but for some reason it never happened. I would have loved spending a couple of hours with him

Like I said, it was a great experience:

Lou Figueroa

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like I said, it was a great experience:

Lou Figueroa

Great read! That whole thread had a different feel to it than today's AZB. I wish we could get that back.

I laughed a bit about Dallas's thoughts on the side pocket break and how he expressed them. I have been with a few masters of this and that over the years and the look in their eyes or a soft chuckle spoke volumes sometimes. I think the side pocket break was OK under all of the specifics of the challenge but I can imagine an old school straight pool player recoiling in horror! Blast them open like that and have to turn the table over or just plain miss and you are gunna watch your opponent run balls for awhile!

I like watching the old masters with the confidence to pick apart a rack a few balls at a time. If they have to turn over the table their opponent still has to be able to develop the rack and of course safeties are easier when you don't rip open the rack. The challenge is always fun and interesting but it isn't really straight pool.

Hu

DDiabolico

DDiabolico
Niels Feijen for technique and pattern play
Alex Lely for technique and mental game
Probably Albin for safety play and as sparring partner

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky, Dallas West, Mike Sigel, Ray Martin, Allan Hopkins, Jose Garcia, Jim Rempe, Kevin Clark, etc.

All I care about is getting better at 14.1

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you want to learn, work on. If you have weak or no fundementals then there is Rand G and there is everyone else. If you have good fundementals that need a little tweaking with some other work to improve then Randy G, Mark Wilson, and Jerry B.

If you game is solid and you want to work on things like position practice and strategy then all three above would be great choices along with a host of others. I would recommend staying away from top players. They tend to have a lot of skill and knowledge but are usually not the best teachers.
I have worked with all of the above. Good teachers. They do a good job of picking out problems and explaining what to do to improve. Would rather learn golf from Tiger Woods or his coach?

I have seen most of Tor Lowry's videos. He has a ton of knowledge. I am curious to know if he is as good as he appears on his videos.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Frank McGown and Al Balukas (Jean's dad) were business partners in one or two ventures, and, if memory serves, Frank was among Jean Balukas' early influences. I saw Frank play on many occasions, and he was definitely one of the old masters.
What happened to Jean?