Carbon Fiber Shafts should be Banned

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talking smack again❓
I really don't know why you pretend to push back. Your posts speak for themselves and do not paint a favorable picture of you.

This dialog always ends in the same place: You pretend you have some basis to refute my inferences and when questioned... you then type the emoji of poop or share some hardly related tidbit from your memories.

But I'll play along:
No. NOT talking smack, merely repeating the truth, as shared by you. You stated the school system let you down by failing to teach you.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I really don't know why you pretend to push back. Your posts speak for themselves and do not paint a favorable picture of you.

This dialog always ends in the same place: You pretend you have some basis to refute my inferences and when questioned... you then type the emoji of poop or share some hardly related tidbit from your memories.

But I'll play along:
No. NOT talking smack, merely repeating the truth, as shared by you. You stated the school system let you down by failing to teach you.

Well that is history last time I was in school Vietnam War was just heating up.

Think too much money spent on education today is blown on non clsssroom support people.

Hell poor teachers today have to dig into own pocket for supplies for class room, Or beg parents to buy.

Education in most of USA is failure conspired to many other countries.

BTW what does this have to do with CF Shafts?

Nothing you just enjoy being an asshat.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My comment was more around the kid still learning how to hold his cue.....whether he is using a maple shaft or CF is not really going to matter at that point.

But yes, if getting serious enough about the game that you are investing hundreds or thousands of hours into practice.....an LD shaft makes sense. As stated......if a CF shaft is not in the budget......a used predator or OB laminated shaft can be had for around $100 (with everyone switching over to CF). I believe Dr Dave demonstrated that deflection was only marginally better for a CF shaft when compared to a good LD laminated shaft.
Wood shaft doesn't need to be laminated to be LD. Mezz and Meucci both use solid maple then lighten the front-end. End mass is what determines a shaft's LD properties.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That greatly depends upon the people who guide the future of pool.

Find me a billionaire backer, and you'll see carbon fiber and phenolic break tips rendered utterly useless in all big-money tournaments. If such a thing comes to pass, pool players of the future will laugh about the "fake pool cue fad" that was dominant in 2022.

If such a thing does come to pass, the next fad will be a "back to basics" fad, and people will start becoming more aware of the sights and sounds of pool.

Does the idea of a carbon fiber shaft fitted to your favorite cue-maker's masterpiece turn your stomach? Be honest.

I heard that there's a cocobolo substitute that provides better performance than cocobolo - it's jet black, but you can color it any way you like, and the nanotechnology properties of cocofake-o will improve your game 50%!
Those “Guiders” came up with a purple 5 ball.

God only knows what’s next…..

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But I'll play along:

And I would argue his parents let him down ;)
My comment was more around the kid still learning how to hold his cue.....whether he is using a maple shaft or CF is not really going to matter at that point.

But yes, if getting serious enough about the game that you are investing hundreds or thousands of hours into practice.....an LD shaft makes sense. As stated......if a CF shaft is not in the budget......a used predator or OB laminated shaft can be had for around $100 (with everyone switching over to CF). I believe Dr Dave demonstrated that deflection was only marginally better for a CF shaft when compared to a good LD laminated shaft.

I disagree, a CF shaft is not superior to a wood shaft, if it were, then all the pro’s would be using it.

You could pick 10 world class players who use CF and have them shoot with wood shafts for a month and at the end of that month they would be no different than they were before the test.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is a heavier cue better than a lighter cue or is a 13mm shaft superior to a 12mm shaft?
How about a leather wrap offering a better grip versus a linen wrap or even none at all?

You could recite lots of comparisons and contrasts in pool cues & advanced technology.
Doesn’t it always come down to what any pool player likes the best for their style of play?

Maple shafts, Ash shafts, laminated, LD, old growth timber, size, taper, type tip, weight &
balance, ferrules, CF shafts & sizes…..lots of variables so just pick what you like & play it.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm an enigma wrapped in a paradox smothered with secret cosmic sauce.

Yeah I guess I'm being a little too aggressive by saying that CF should be banned. A better approach would probably be to say that I would like to see some old-school tournaments where only real wood cues are allowed. Maybe it could be called "The Traditional Circuit," and the only way to break an old record would be to do it with the same equipment that the players of yesteryear had available to them.

My thought was really just to push back against what I see as a profit-driven obsession with new technology in pool. I think it's worth thinking about whether these changes have improved or harmed the aesthetics of the game, especially considering how popular it is to play, and how unpopular it is as a spectator sport. My thoughts are too detailed to fit into a digestible comment, but for instance one frustration I have is that I have to start my conversations with newer players who may want to get serious about the game with a discussion about a bunch of pool cue technology that a high school student probably can't afford in the first place.

I'm not being quite as self-contradictory as it may first appear - one of my concerns is that all of this new pool cue technology makes the game inaccessible to players who can't afford all of the fancy equipment it takes to play on a level playing field with those who can afford it. Sure, the kids can play at a disadvantage, but that's not as fun as playing on a level playing field. My collection of fancy pool cues gives me a clear and obvious advantage against someone playing with a house cue, or with a reasonably-priced maple cue, but that doesn't feel right to me.
It is skill, knowledge, strategy and judgement that determines who prevails in a pool match and maybe a smidgeon
of luck that comes in two forms: bad luck (your opponent’s) & good luck (your own). Technology does not decide the
outcome. The player using a $10,000 Searing cue does not have an advantage over someone playing with a Sneaky
Pete cue. A great pool stroke is still a great stoke regardless of the pool cue or cue shaft used. Consistency is the key
to victory and billiards history is filled with incredible champions and records that were attained long before CF arrived.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other day I got a chance to shoot with one of these pieces of crap, and all I can say is: UGLY.

I always knew that they looked ugly, but they also sound truly awful. My pool-loving soul recoiled at the very first impact of the cue against the cue ball, and that horrendous hollow "plink" sound.

Carbon fiber shafts and phenolic break tips are the aluminum baseball bats of pool - sure, they perform well, but they look like crap, they sound like crap, and they are a sign of everything wrong with billiards in America.

In England they have respect for tradition, and great snooker players make a lot of $$$ using snooker cues made out of real wood - no gimmicks, no B.S., no eyesores, and no plinking pieces of carbon fiber garbage.

I'd rather shoot with a broomstick than with a carbon fiber shaft.

Carbon fiber shafts should be banned from every money game - agree or disagree?
So you don’t like them so they should be banned lol. That’s just silly. You do you let everyone alone. I bet you think golfers should still be using hickory shafts to Keep with tradition!!!!! 😂

mr5994

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wood shaft doesn't need to be laminated to be LD. Mezz and Meucci both use solid maple then lighten the front-end. End mass is what determines a shaft's LD properties.
I don't disagree. I mentioned laminated wood shafts because the vast majority of wood LD shafts happen to be laminated.

mr5994

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree, a CF shaft is not superior to a wood shaft, if it were, then all the pro’s would be using it.

You could pick 10 world class players who use CF and have them shoot with wood shafts for a month and at the end of that month they would be no different than they were before the test.
CF shafts weren't on the market when the pros were coming up in the ranks. If we take another look 10 years from now at the top players in their late 20's and younger who have had CF technology available to them while building their game......you are going to see almost exclusive use of CF shafts.

My point was.....for a new player starting out who has aspirations of becoming a top player......given a choice between an LD shaft and a traditional maple shaft.....he just as well pick the LD shaft.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that is history last time I was in school Vietnam War was just heating up.

Think too much money spent on education today is blown on non clsssroom support people.

Hell poor teachers today have to dig into own pocket for supplies for class room, Or beg parents to buy.

Education in most of USA is failure conspired to many other countries.

BTW what does this have to do with CF Shafts?

Nothing you just enjoy being an asshat.
You've had since the Vietnam war to figure out elementary items and you ended up where you are?

Ow.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
It doesn’t matter because 99% of those that suck with a wood shaft will also suck with a CF shaft.

Pool players are getting as bad as golfers trying to buy a game. Will drop $500 on the new hot shaft but won’t spend a dime for a lesson.

Brilliant common sense observation.👍

Minnesota Phat

So you don’t like them so they should be banned lol. That’s just silly. You do you let everyone alone. I bet you think golfers should still be using hickory shafts to Keep with tradition!!!!! 😂
Yes I do think that golfers should still be using hickory shafts, and they should wear wool kilts, and they should play the final hole of the day to the sounds of loud bagpipes, as was once a proud tradition in golf, before the upstart Americans ruined everything with their newfangled Swing music and their abominable steel shafts.

MurrayNevada

Yes I do think that golfers should still be using hickory shafts, and they should wear wool kilts, and they should play the final hole of the day to the sounds of loud bagpipes, as was once a proud tradition in golf, before the upstart Americans ruined everything with their newfangled Swing music and their abominable steel shafts.
And don't forget the leather sewn golf balls.
golf.jpg