Looking for a simile

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to come up with a simile / parallel example in a more popular sport to help illustrate that there are levels of subtle difficulty and appreciation that are beyond what is obvious to a novice observer.

I am at a location with non-pool players (poker players), whom are interested in pool but don't know much beyond the fun of making balls disappear. A few have asked me about three cushion and what the point is... and why it is even fun. The best answer I could give is, "It is fun and challenging if you are a pool nerd."

I don't know... maybe something like Nascar? We see cars drive in circles but why would anyone appreciate that... because etc. etc... You get my drift

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I want to come up with a simile / parallel example in a more popular sport to help illustrate that there are levels of subtle difficulty and appreciation that are beyond what is obvious to a novice observer.

I am at a location with non-pool players (poker players), whom are interested in pool but don't know much beyond the fun of making balls disappear. A few have asked me about three cushion and what the point is... and why it is even fun. The best answer I could give is, "It is fun and challenging if you are a pool nerd."

I don't know... maybe something like Nascar? We see cars drive in circles but why would anyone appreciate that... because etc. etc... You get my drift
The book “The Pleasure of Small Motions” may help convey your points: That pool is far more magical, than just pocketing balls.

Instructional author Phil Capelle is currently writing about just this very thing and why pool is better than most other popular sports.
Go to Billiardspress.com

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I

It is like anything...those who know know things those that don't know don't know...you know?

Bike racing, cooking, medicine, hooker....pick what you want.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
A few have asked me about three cushion and what the point is... and why it is even fun. The best answer I could give is, "It is fun and challenging if you are a pool nerd."
How about "the point is to hit both balls, hitting the second one after hitting three cushions" and "the fun is in learning to do that"?

pj
chgo

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poker has some of the same elements
Probability and risk reward

And I would have my guard up as plenty of pool players play poker.

btal

Registered
Instead of a simile I would offer this. Whatever the age (9 to 99), if you've never experienced a rush of adrenaline, join a pool league .......... 100's of thousands have. They play tournaments all the time. Not one sport (that I'm aware of) that requires minimum physical prowess can be played into one's 80's or 90's. Many of those 'ones' have felt the pressure of team play and come back again and again to get that new shot ....... of adrenaline. Many have 'never' ever felt the 'pressure' of sports - at all.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think the simile should be derived from hunting, although this comes from someone who has never hunted. A shot well performed in pool or hunting gives a very special sense of satisfaction and one that is missed is an opportunity lost that may not arise again. In fact, in pool, a duck means an easy shot and I've heard players looking over a table that offered many such shots announce that they were going duck hunting. Those who have a sense of urgency when they hunt should be able to easily translate it to the pool table.

Hence the simile is that "pool is like hunting."

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want to come up with a simile / parallel example in a more popular sport to help illustrate that there are levels of subtle difficulty and appreciation that are beyond what is obvious to a novice observer. I am at a location with non-pool players (poker players),
Ask them what stakes they play at poker. If they say $50/$100, take the bigger number, multiply by 100, so $10k, and play them a match 15 ahead for $10k. They will soon learn to appreciate the subtlety of your game or you will learn to appreciate the subtlety of their hustle.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there are levels of subtle difficulty and appreciation that are beyond what is obvious
It is like anything...those who know know things those that don't know don't know...you know?

Bike racing, cooking, medicine, hooker....pick what you want.

leaving "hooker" in for posterity..and agree that things just gotta "click" for us
I played a little pool as a kid, but I didn't really "get it" til 2016, been a ride since
you acting as an ambassador for the sport is a noble thing, I appreciate that
I can't think of a universal simile (except the universe)..to me, pool is like..pool.

but maybe you could take a more personal approach..
find out what your friends are already into, and try to liken cue sports to it
you mentioned nascar, if you're buddy's into that, talk about concentration
if your pal is into sewing, mention the consequence of a millimeter
etc., etc.

the cool thing, is that if you get someone really hooked on it, they'll do what you're doing..
and so it grows...

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s nuance and expertise available in everything from sports and music to working a sandwich line at a Subway fast food restaurant.

I don’t think anybody should need an analogy to understand that. If they are curious what the nuances of pool are then I think it’s best to just mention the levels of play from ball pocketing, to cueball control, to patterns, to advanced kick/bank/masse/jump shots, to the importance of machine-like fundamentals, precision cue tip placement, deflection, swerve, speed control, physics and geometry.

If their eyes gloss over then you did your job making them appreciate the subtleties exist. If they start interrupting you with jokes, you’re trying too hard and are beating the dead horse.