Cochrans in San Franciso, some of their Best Players!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
McGoorty told a story, in Byrnes' book about him, about how he was losing a money match and took himself off to the restroom and had a few shots of booze. He came out and ended up winning the money. He said it was the worst thing that could have happened, because he convinced himself that he played better loaded.

If you've never read Byrnes' book about McGoorty, do yourself a favor and do so, it is a fascinating look at a bygone era, and not just pool, 3C, and hustling.

Thanks! I have heard about the book many times but never bought, might be a good time!

I played well drunk, afraid I had a lot of practice and experience doing just that. Close to forty years dry now. The only time I miss alcohol a bit is when I finish a hot dusty job. An ice cold beer would go down good! One wouldn't hurt, two wouldn't help, three and I would probably be on my way!

Like most things pool related I gave some attention to my game drunk and sober. What I found was that I shot harder and more aggressively sober, gentler and smoother after lubrication. I was probably winning more drunk because I was shooting more drunk. After a few weeks consideration I decided that the best thing I could do was swap to my style when drinking all the time. Of course best would have been to quit drinking or quit in anything but great moderation. Easier said than done. It was a decades long joke with a friend that neither of us could even spell moderation!

Hu

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! I have heard about the book many times but never bought, might be a good time!

I played well drunk, afraid I had a lot of practice and experience doing just that. Close to forty years dry now. The only time I miss alcohol a bit is when I finish a hot dusty job. An ice cold beer would go down good! One wouldn't hurt, two wouldn't help, three and I would probably be on my way!

Like most things pool related I gave some attention to my game drunk and sober. What I found was that I shot harder and more aggressively sober, gentler and smoother after lubrication. I was probably winning more drunk because I was shooting more drunk. After a few weeks consideration I decided that the best thing I could do was swap to my style when drinking all the time. Of course best would have been to quit drinking or quit in anything but great moderation. Easier said than done. It was a decades long joke with a friend that neither of us could even spell moderation!

Hu

McGoorty is one of the best pool books ever written.

Lou Figueroa

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
hey tahoe dirt you must of known wino from the east bay. i havent heard anything about rich for decades and wondered what happened to him.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
hey tahoe dirt you must of known wino from the east bay. i havent heard anything about rich for decades and wondered what happened to him.
Richard Winesettle aka Wino came to my poolroom in Bakersfield several times in the 70's and we got it on each time. He was a good shortstop, just like me, so it was a close game every time. He bought a book from me about ten years ago and I sent it to him, but someone must have grabbed it out of his mailbox or ? He contacted me to send him a replacement book and I told him the one I sent was delivered to his address and he got mad and that's the last I've ever heard from him. He was from Antioch, CA.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If you've never read Byrnes' book about McGoorty, do yourself a favor and do so, it is a fascinating look at a bygone era, and not just pool, 3C, and hustling.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&tn=Mcgoorty
I have some extra copies in various editions and conditions. There was an original hardback and at least two paperback editions. There is also one in Spanish -- I wonder how well McGoorty's sayings translated. "You missed that shot? A drunk Girl Scout could have made that if you held her up to the table."

Edit: There are at least five versions of the book, including a very cheap paperback. The hardback does not have pictures. The two paperback versions that do have pictures are the one from Citadel Press, subtitled "A Billiard Hustler's Life" on the cover and the one from the Library of Larceny series. Expect to pay $25-$35 for either of those. The version from Sports Illustrated was supposed to have pictures and the captions are there, but the pictures are not.

Last edited:

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
McGoorty is one of the best pool books ever written.

Lou Figueroa
I liked McGoorty. Also enjoyed Grady's book and Jay's book (1) as well. Have read many of these. But have not read the Kid Delicious book. Living vicariously as I apparently do not have the talent and heart in real life.

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I liked McGoorty. Also enjoyed Grady's book and Jay's book (1) as well. Have read many of these. But have not read the Kid Delicious book. Living vicariously as I apparently do not have the talent and heart in real life.
I enjoyed McGoorty's recap of the various players he met. He really pulled no punches. I remember particularly Jake Shaefer Jr "personality of a door nob" and Joe Procita and his wife LOL.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed McGoorty's recap of the various players he met. He really pulled no punches. I remember particularly Jake Shaefer Jr "personality of a door nob" and Joe Procita and his wife LOL.

Sounds like Hal Houle. He seemed to have known everyone from Greenleaf on, had traveled with Greenleaf. He talked about them all, and stuck a knife in them! I suspect the living were feeling a sharp stabbing pain in their ribs, "damn, Hal is talking about me again!" The dead weren't turning over in their graves, they were doing a slow spin!

Hal would get to talking on the phone and I could sit there for several hours. Time well spent.

Hu

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some extra copies in various editions and conditions. There was an original hardback and at least two paperback editions. There is also one in Spanish -- I wonder how well McGoorty's sayings translated. "You missed that shot? A drunk Girl Scout could have made that if you held her up to the table."

Edit: There are at least five versions of the book, including a very cheap paperback. The hardback does not have pictures. The two paperback versions that do have pictures are the one from Citadel Press, subtitled "A Billiard Hustler's Life" on the cover and the one from the Library of Larceny series. Expect to pay $25-$35 for either of those. The version from Sports Illustrated was supposed to have pictures and the captions are there, but the pictures are not.
I have the Citadel Press version. Is there much difference in the text between the versions? If you could only own and read one, which version would you pick?

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I wonder if it would be possible to get a poster print of the picture they used in the version that said "A Billiard Hustler's Life".

Great book, and love the cover on that particular version of it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have the Citadel Press version. Is there much difference in the text between the versions? If you could only own and read one, which version would you pick?
So far as I know, the text did not change. I'd get either of the paperbacks with pictures, Citadel or Library of Larceny. I think the pictures are somewhat different between the two.

Here's the cover of the Citadel printing in case others are wondering. I have contacted the Citadel subsidiary rights person. It turns out that Citadel (part of Lyle Stuart) was sold twice. The current owner, Kensington Books, does not have the rights to this title and does not know who holds the rights.

CropperCapture[58].png

L.S. Dennis

So far as I know, the text did not change. I'd get either of the paperbacks with pictures, Citadel or Library of Larceny. I think the pictures are somewhat different between the two.

Here's the cover of the Citadel printing in case others are wondering. I have contacted the Citadel subsidiary rights person. It turns out that Citadel (part of Lyle Stuart) was sold twice. The current owner, Kensington Books, does not have the rights to this title and does not know who holds the rights.

View attachment 654303Jj

View attachment 654303
The copy I have is entitled ”McGoorty the story of a billiard bum” By Robert Byrne. Lyle Stuart, Secaucus, New Jersey.
Not a single picture in this book

L.S. Dennis

My issue is entitled, “McGoorty the story of a billiard bum”

by Robert Byrne, Lyle Stuart, Secaucus, New Jersey.
And yes no pictures of any kind in this edition.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The original hardcover.

Lou Figueroa
Yes, the original hardcover doesn't have any pictures.

The paperback from Lyle Stuart came out in 1984. That's the one with the shady carom players and the naked babe on the cover. And some pictures.

I have managed to contact the artist who did the 1984 cover. He remembered doing it. He is on vacation right now but will look to see if he has the original when he gets home.