Pool halls in Iceland?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jealous, would love to visit Iceland, it ls definitely on my bucket list. And indeed that pool/snooker hall looks great, might want to give spousey poo extra shopping incentives.

Hopefully this has settled down before your target trip dates.

✌️
Yes, either it will be a nice background, or shut down the airport. A fine line, ha ha.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Not pool related.
If you're into fishing, specifically fly fishing , you're going to heaven.
The guide service can outfit you. Brown Trout up to 30 Lbs. The scenery is beautiful.

If you're a foodie there are food tours and walks. Seafood and Lamb are everywhere, fish stew is always good.
Be careful of Hot Springs off the beaten path, some carry heavy bacteria. Stay with the most popular springs.
Nudity and topless may be seen in Iceland, wear sunglasses.
Bring sleeps masks. When the sun sets after 20 hours or so it never really gets dark.

https://icelandoutfitters.com/ion-beat/

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Apart from the pool, it looks like an interesting place to visit. I wonder how the volcano situation is right now.

IcelandAir offers free stopovers, so if you have the extra time, visiting Iceland is "free" if you go to London or Paris as the main part of your trip. The fares look competitive. Sadly for me, SFO is not a direct flight any more. In 1983 it was. No stopover but I did get a sweater I still wear.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That place looks amazing, even with that awful color cloth.

If you notice, the snooker tables are a proper color LOL
Pool is the red headed stepchild of cue sports, who gives a crap about standardized colors and playability as long is it looks cool.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing the color was purposefully chosen . . . it subliminally touches a lot of positive psychological buttons during seasons when there are scant few hours of daylight.

Arnaldo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spent about 8 or 10 days at NAS Keflavik, back in September of 1988. It was pretty darn cold (30-45 degrees or so, and windy), considering what time of year it was. I never got off base, as I didn't have a car, and was dealing with trying to get a broken plane fixed. Prices weren't bad on base, but the word was, that, everything in town was quite expensive. The locals said that eating at a fast food joint (think McDonalds) would run $15-$20, for one person. I was also told that living with a huge amount of debt was the standard way of life, in Iceland. Seemed crazy, at the time.

Of course, that was a long time ago, and things may be different now.

Anyway, everyone seems to enjoy their visit there, so have fun, and take a bunch of pictures!

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope you are watching the news, massive volcano eruption going on there right now. They are advising tourists to stay away.
Sorry, didn't notice someone else had pointed it out already.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yep, all over the news here. one time their "ejafjattnajökul" volcano hade an eruption that fugged up european and transatlantic air traffic for weeks!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is the live stream.
And here is a news video about the new eruption. I used to follow this channel back when the first volcano (much smaller) was going off in that area a year or so ago. They also talk about being a tourist in Iceland (and near the eruption) in other episodes.

This is an oozing eruption rather than an explosive eruption, so I doubt air traffic will be affected.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, either it will be a nice background, or shut down the airport. A fine line, ha ha.
It looks like it's going to be an excellent chance for selfies with a lava flow coming at you. Quite a well behaved volcano so far.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's great when AZBers cross the pond to visit Europe 👍🏼

Pool is fun, but check our our other sights as well.
I’m here now, 3rd trip in the last 4 or 5 months, I’ve spent more time in Europe than America. I’ll be here again in October & November as well.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think they use military time everywhere in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mostly yes they do. It’s a superior system.

I’ll meet you at 2200 simple as that

Or I woke up at 0700 or 700.

It’s absolutely clear what time your referring to.

Same as the metric system. Much better than imperial pints, quarts gallons etc. makes no Sense. 330ml is a specific size 1l is 3X that much. Simple math.

Same for speed 100km/hour is the speed limit any you have 150km to go. Simple to figure out your 1.5 hours away. 65mph and your 150 miles away is not easy for most people to calculate.

Best
Fatboy

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an oozing eruption rather than an explosive eruption, so I doubt air traffic will be affected.
Yeah, so far volcanic ash hasn't been a problem. But the wind is out of the south, so if the eruption keeps going, or gets bigger, Reykjavik may become a rather smelly place to visit.