What is the Best Cue Ball? We have the Red Measles, but let's hear your opinions.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
or just play ten minutes whichever ball you have and you will not notice anything different.

if you do its mental.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
People started carrying their own cue balls around here because many of the bars still had oversized or metal flake cue balls.
Those were the ones that really play differently. :ROFLMAO:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Sheldon, in my yrs, there were at least 5 different bar balls that I recollect. One of the most unusual was the Light Oversized cue ball.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
is it a genuine aramith measle cue ball or one of those cheaper imitations?
I'm thinking the measle balls we use must be the cheaper imitation. Today with the cue ball from the Dynasphere Bronze set, I could draw it twice as far, see it bend much more with over spin off the rail, etc. A much better cue ball, but I miss the measles to see the spin. I've ordered the blue dot Centennial cue ball and we'll see how it does. I could not find the black dot Aramith cue ball. I'm wondering if the Predator Arcos II cue ball might be great.

Last edited:

chenjy9

Practically speaking, the measles ball because it is cheapest. Stylistically, either the black measles ball or the Arcos II ball with the black triangles.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Do you mean the red circle? There is a red dot cue ball, but you don't see many of them.

All the best,
WW
I've seen a couple different red dot/cue balls in my yrs. (I think different intensity of red). Been a long time, so I can't be much more explicit. I do remember one of em being very heavy.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The red measles ball is the best, closely followed by the blue circle, but you can't go wrong with either. They tried the red circle at Super Billiards Expo one year (guessing around 2013), and the players complained so loudly that they switched cue balls in the middle of the tournament. I hadn't seen that happen before and haven't seen it since.

The measles themselves, by offering so much feedback about the stroke applied to the cue ball, have offered one of the greatest training aids in recent pool history.

Reactions: bbb

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramith red circle (real ones not fakes) are supposedly made closer to their carom phenolic. They are also slightly (like a gram or less) lighter. It's a good idea to get one if you plan on playing in tournaments as they mostly use this. Personally I prefer the cue balls that came with my Cyclop hyperion set. Perfect weight and stays unbelievably clean. I'd assume the Dynasphere cue balls are also really good.

I'm not the biggest fan of the old Aramith tv measles ball with the red dots, it's a good cue ball but it gets dirty.

The newer version of the Measle ball stays cleaner and does not hold chalk marks like the older ones did. The newer ones

are also whiter in color than the older Measle ball or the red circle ball.
The red measles ball is the best, closely followed by the blue circle, but you can't go wrong with either. They tried the red circle at Super Billiards Expo one year (guessing around 2013), and the players complained so loudly that they switched cue balls in the middle of the tournament. I hadn't seen that happen before and haven't seen it since.

The measles themselves, by offering so much feedback about the stroke applied to the cue ball, have offered one of the greatest training aids in recent pool history.
I’ve got some black circle measle balls on backorder from my Aramith dealer, as apparently everyone is currently out of them. We love Our Red Dot Measle balls, especially since they improved them in recent years and they now don’t hold chalk marks nearly as bad as they used to. I assume the new black circle ones will be just as good.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Another way to use a measles ball for training: I use a black sharpie to put a dot above one of the red dots on the measles ball. Then I put that measle where I want to hit the cue ball, e.g. center ball and low for a draw shot. Then I chalk my tip and aim at the measle. After hitting the shot, I examine the measle to see if my chalk mark is in the center of the measle.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Another way to use a measles ball for training: I use a black sharpie to put a dot above one of the red dots on the measles ball. Then I put that measle where I want to hit the cue ball, e.g. center ball and low for a draw shot. Then I chalk my tip and aim at the measle. After hitting the shot, I examine the measle to see if my chalk mark is in the center of the measle.
Great idea for sure!

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
You might want to order the Jim Rempe cue ball. It's marked permently so you won't have to draw a line on the cue ball.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
You might want to order the Jim Rempe cue ball. It's marked permently so you won't have to draw a line on the cue ball.
I have a Rempe and for that specific task it is great.. but the measles shows how spin develops over time you can see the change in real time..

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Rempe and for that specific task it is great.. but the measles shows how spin develops over time you can see the change in real time..
We have the measles balls, but I've ordered a Centennial cue ball and the Predator Arcos cue ball. I will try to determine the best cue ball. I already know the cue ball (no markings on it) from the Dynasphere Bronze set is better than the measles, more spin, draw is about 50% better, but I love the markings on the other cue balls to play with.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I like the Arcos cue ball with the diamonds on it a lot. Not paying $50 for one though. I have the Aramith black measle ball that is a close second. Would like to get my hands on the cue ball from the Dynashphere Rhodium set, but not sure if you can get them separate.