Masters, triangle chalk becoming outdated

Grimper

How clean what is, exactly? A good cube of Master or Triangle is no messier than expensive chalk.

And fuck Kamui or Toam, what a slimy disaster on any table
Your comment only shows how out of touch you are. Saying Masters is just as clean as Taom proves you have never used it.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Technically I do not:: I have a cue (several actually) that were designed and built as 2 pieces that I attach before use and detatch after use.

Even though 2 of them as sneaky petes.
But how on earth can you spend hundreds of dollars on cues when the pool room has them there to use for free.

I just don't get it

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Your comment only shows how out of touch you are. Saying Masters is just as clean as Taom proves you have never used it.
I have, but there's a different kind of clean. Toam might have less "cast-off", but I don't apply mounds of chalk. Quick swipe and go, it's not like you need a completely coated tip 1mm thick. I also don't like "sticky" chalk because it influences the balls and makes the table gross. Taom definitely lingers on the balls.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
But how on earth can you spend hundreds of dollars on cues when the pool room has them there to use for free.

I just don't get it

Some of my best pool has been played with a good house cue.

If you're buying chalk to enjoy the looks on display, kudos to you

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Why are you using the internet when you could just send smoke signals
I see you are continuing the logical fallacy of Reductio ad absurdum to make yourself feel better about a $30 piece of chalk

Only 144x the cost of a cube of Master

No point in judging how you spend your cash, enjoy it, but don't complain about an industry stalwart to make your expense feel less ridiculous

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I see you are continuing the logical fallacy of Reductio ad absurdum to make yourself feel better about a $30 piece of chalk

Only 144x the cost of a cube of Master

No point in judging how you spend your cash, enjoy it, but don't complain about an industry stalwart to make your expense feel less ridiculous
I was complaining about absolutely nothing just stating my experience
I see you like to insult people when they have different opinions and experiences than yours with chalk.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of my best pool has been played with a good house cue.

If you're buying chalk to enjoy the looks on display, kudos to you
A long time ago when few people had their own cues the house cues were well taken care of and most were straight.
Not so much today that I've seen, they are at best Tomato stakes.

TipWilson

Sticky finger story time from an APA league manager.

Nothing new...

"Respect the Property of Others.​

Something disappointing happened at the Singles Qualifier yesterday that I thought I'd mention here to turn it into a learning lesson for whomever needs to hear it.

I left a couple pieces of Taom chalk on a table next to my cues near Table #1. This chalk is distinctively labeled and shaped - it's cylinder shaped instead of the normal cube shaped chalk (typically Master) that is supplied at pool halls. It is not cheap. Each piece is $20-$25. If you see chalk like this in a tournament or league environment at a pool hall or bar - basically anything other than the standard chalk the house supplies - IT'S NOT YOURS. Even the house chalk IS NOT YOURS. There are a lot of eyes and CAMERAS in pool halls.

The house chalk is inexpensive... even though it really isn't "right", I think most pool halls fully expect some of that chalk to "walk away". In fact, I usually have some in my car (Master brand with APA label) and I'll be happy to give you a cube or two if you ask.

Higher end chalk like Kamui, Predator, Taom is a different story - if you see it laying around... it belongs to someone. They didn't pay 25 cents for it... they paid $15, $20, $25, $30 for it and they bought it and are using it for a reason. Price is one thing, but the way it plays is another thing - if their chalk disappears halfway through a tournament... they're going to be pissed about it. If they see you take it, you could be dealing with a very pissed off person and lose a chunk out of your reputation - and reputation in a pool environment is a big thing. Leave it the fuck alone - or even better, if it seems to be orphaned on a pool table or something, put a little effort into finding out who the owner is and return it to them.

In this case, this was not orphaned chalk. It was not sitting on the rail of a pool table. It was sitting on a side table next to custom cues and other personal belongings. And I know who took it - I asked the owner of the hall to pull it up on camera. As you may have guessed by now, I'm not happy about this. If it gets returned to me - either directly or anonymously (in a team packet, for example) I'll feel much better about the person who took it - but at the moment, I'm not happy and doing my best to tell myself this person just didn't put any thought into the possible value of what they decided to put in their pocket - monetary as well as other value. If things continue to disappear around this person (or anyone else for that matter) I wouldn't rule out temporary or even permanent suspension from the league. You've been warned."

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder how this performs...

V10 convert.
But last night I used a house cue for breaking and as usual, I could see the house chalk dust particulate flying around during swipe chalking.

For me, a chunk of v10 cost no more than a good burger combo. Except the burger is gone after 15 minutes of eating.
Try eating the chalk then! Lol

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sticky finger story time. Nothing new...

"Respect the Property of Others.​

Something disappointing happened at the Singles Qualifier yesterday that I thought I'd mention here to turn it into a learning lesson for whomever needs to hear it.

I left a couple pieces of Taom chalk on a table next to my cues near Table #1. This chalk is distinctively labeled and shaped - it's cylinder shaped instead of the normal cube shaped chalk (typically Master) that is supplied at pool halls. It is not cheap. Each piece is $20-$25. If you see chalk like this in a tournament or league environment at a pool hall or bar - basically anything other than the standard chalk the house supplies - IT'S NOT YOURS. Even the house chalk IS NOT YOURS. There are a lot of eyes and CAMERAS in pool halls.

The house chalk is inexpensive... even though it really isn't "right", I think most pool halls fully expect some of that chalk to "walk away". In fact, I usually have some in my car (Master brand with APA label) and I'll be happy to give you a cube or two if you ask.

Higher end chalk like Kamui, Predator, Taom is a different story - if you see it laying around... it belongs to someone. They didn't pay 25 cents for it... they paid $15, $20, $25, $30 for it and they bought it and are using it for a reason. Price is one thing, but the way it plays is another thing - if their chalk disappears halfway through a tournament... they're going to be pissed about it. If they see you take it, you could be dealing with a very pissed off person and lose a chunk out of your reputation - and reputation in a pool environment is a big thing. Leave it the fuck alone - or even better, if it seems to be orphaned on a pool table or something, put a little effort into finding out who the owner is and return it to them.

In this case, this was not orphaned chalk. It was not sitting on the rail of a pool table. It was sitting on a side table next to custom cues and other personal belongings. And I know who took it - I asked the owner of the hall to pull it up on camera. As you may have guessed by now, I'm not happy about this. If it gets returned to me - either directly or anonymously (in a team packet, for example) I'll feel much better about the person who took it - but at the moment, I'm not happy and doing my best to tell myself this person just didn't put any thought into the possible value of what they decided to put in their pocket - monetary as well as other value. If things continue to disappear around this person (or anyone else for that matter) I wouldn't rule out temporary or even permanent suspension from the league. You've been warned."
Then I take it you learned a valuable lesson. Just be glad it wasn't your unattended cues.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Back on the day, I had a chalk sharing program. Lots of places would have multiple cubes of
masters on a table. I would adopt the best looking and store it in my watch pocket for use the duration of play. I would usually leave with it. When I encountered an establishment that put the cheap 36 grit chalk out... I would leave them a Master cube.🤷
Then at one tournament I adopted a nice looking piece of Masters and took it from the rail to my pocket. Then the drama. Turns out it belonged to my opponent. Seems his entire family was there. As soon as I saw him searching, I returned it to it's rightful owner. Now the mob was getting ugly. I confessed to my affliction for stealing chalk and vowed to try to get better.🤷 Me winning the game left me in the "Scum of the earth" catagory with that gallery.:eek: