Masters, triangle chalk becoming outdated

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
These threads are always amusing. I use Magic Chalk currently, given how little I actually play, the two cubes I bought four years ago have lasted quite nicely. I've used Blue Diamond, OB and Predator before, and I think I have a cube (or a cylinder, I guess) of Great White in the bag.

I'm not married to any of them, but if I need to buy more, I'll probably buy a couple more cubes of Magic again. I get the feeling it stays on better than Masters. Its no big deal, and the Magic Chalk isn't terribly expensive, if two cubes last me as long as they do. I can and do use Masters if need be, I'm not militant about it. I just like the other stuff a bit more.

I keep my chalk in my pocket, so I don't have to worry about it walking off on its own. I don't wear any sort of fancy dress pants while playing, so again, no big deal.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
If you want to take a flyer on fundamentals and hope that you can get 10 shots out of a swipe of expensive chalk, then hooray for you. It's still ridiculous and overpriced
This is what I've never understood about the Taom V10 discussion. Why on earth someone would opt not to chalk just because there's a theory that says you shouldn't have to as often? Sure V10 is expensive, but why skimp and risk the miscue..? By extension, if you're going to play on the cautious side and chalk for every shot, then why bother buying chalk that promotes less frequent use as one of it main selling features...? Yes of course it's less messy, but how does that improve your actual performance?

I bought the V10, and it was a dump assed way to burn $100. It works as fine as Triangle, and as Masters at an exponent of their price that I can't calculate. I'll live with that shame, and if the fool hearty decision ends up on my grave stone. Then I'm happy it's the worst thing I've ever done.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Having read, some of the long running thread on taom chalk.

I personally love the old masters stuff. I know SVB uses it. And ronnie and judd, still use the green triangle In snooker.
My question is: how many like myself still use it? Or have you moved over to the modern stuff?
There is nothing wrong with masters. It's tried and true. Good chalk, good sound, good grit. It's dirty. That's it's only downside. Proper chalking (and not over the table) mitigates this, but out in public idiots do what idiots do.

I'm a taom v10 convert but I will never talk shit about masters. Taom is night and day cleaner and stays on a bit longer if you forget to chalk. One cube lasts frickin forever. But in the end chalk is chalk. Taom just has a few quality of life improvements.

xX-Wizard-Xx

This is what I've never understood about the Taom V10 discussion. Why on earth someone would opt not to chalk just because there's a theory that says you shouldn't have to as often? Sure V10 is expensive, but why skimp and risk the miscue..? By extension, if you're going to play on the cautious side and chalk for every shot, then why bother buying chalk that promotes less frequent use as one of it main selling features...? Yes of course it's less messy, but how does that improve your actual performance?

I bought the V10, and it was a dump assed way to burn $100. It works as fine as Triangle, and as Masters at an exponent of their price that I can't calculate. I'll live with that shame, and if the fool hearty decision ends up on my grave stone. Then I'm happy it's the worst thing I've ever done.
i bought v10 and gave the 1 away i used and sold the other .... thought it was a dumb way to spend $25. i realized i would rather have the $25 than to have the V10. if it was $8 or something it might be worth it for the "cleanliness", but $25 is placing a premium on the PSR drilling.

TrxR

I dont understand where people getting that V10 is creamy like kamui? I find it quite dry and takes very little to cover. I like being able to keep it in my pocket without making a mess of my pocket like masters did.

I never had a problem with Masters functionally but found it got on everything it touched . I got V10 because I wanted to try something different. I dont drink , smoke , have any kids , drink coffee and I have quit eating fast food. So I figured I could afford it. I've also tried predator chalk and find it very messy.

The other thing i hated about masters is i had my own people kept taking as they thought it was house chalk and the house chalk was always drilled out or broken so i had to carry my own.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
i bought v10 and gave the 1 away i used and sold the other .... thought it was a dumb way to spend $25. i realized i would rather have the $25 than to have the V10. if it was $8 or something it might be worth it for the "cleanliness", but $25 is placing a premium on the PSR drilling.
I don't disagree with you... The $20usd I spent per "cube" is nutty. For me it was more about novelty. I mean come on, $20 a piece...?

I can say I did throw one in the case and played with it at my local hall. Never been so stressed about where my chalk is in my life...lol

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
every sport has the majority of players looking for something that makes them play better instead of improving their play itself.
that majority will never get better and will always be looking for the miracle product that doesnt exist except in their minds.

Jack Fate

got some v-10 about 8 months ago
Always use it on my break cue, it has that integrated tip , stays on nicely
I also use masters
I also use triangle
I also use predator
On my playing cue
If I left the house to play I’d not take the v-10
Currently the v-10 is about 1/2 used up & probably won’t buy another
The predator is some dirty gritty stuff

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These threads are always amusing. I use Magic Chalk currently, given how little I actually play, the two cubes I bought four years ago have lasted quite nicely. I've used Blue Diamond, OB and Predator before, and I think I have a cube (or a cylinder, I guess) of Great White in the bag.

I'm not married to any of them, but if I need to buy more, I'll probably buy a couple more cubes of Magic again. I get the feeling it stays on better than Masters. Its no big deal, and the Magic Chalk isn't terribly expensive, if two cubes last me as long as they do. I can and do use Masters if need be, I'm not militant about it. I just like the other stuff a bit more.

I keep my chalk in my pocket, so I don't have to worry about it walking off on its own. I don't wear any sort of fancy dress pants while playing, so again, no big deal.

Don't think you will be able to find any more Magic chalk outside of secondary market, have not see it or sale as a new item for a bit.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a top secret batch of Taom V-16. It comes in a plain brown wrapper and doesn't look real pretty in this proto-type batch but it will make you play 17.36% better than anything you are using now, last for years, very clean, and gives off the aroma of orange blossoms when you use it. The lab already has V-20 in earliest lab trials, early testing is bacon smelling to distract and shark your opponent. Have to be very careful though, it can be a two-edged sword! I managed the score the entire batch of the V-16 chalk when the lab tech went out back for a smoke. Needless to say, supply is very limited. I will part with some of the chalk at a very reasonable price considering a full time player should get a minimum of five years use out of a piece!

I bought a gross of Master blue chalk many years ago, sixteen cents a cube. It had became obvious that it was going to last longer than I would so I started playing around with some of it. Dried it for three or four hours in the oven at low heat. As soon as it was cool enough I quickly put it in vacuum tight containers.

Now my Master blue played more like Master green which I have always found to be a little drier. Played well, hard to keep on a tip. Then I noticed a cube of the blue I had forgotten on the back patio down in basically New Orleans. This stuff was wet enough to wring water out of, never the less down to the pool hall it went for the sake of science. Went on with a not so wonderful gummy consistency, but it really stuck to the tip. The tip, my hands, the cloth, seemingly anything it got within a yard of!

After careful testing I concluded that the knuckleheads that made Master chalk had settled on the worst possible moisture content! Anything else, more moisture or less, was better.

As a side note, I was wrapping my chalk in green or yellow electrical tape both to keep my chalk separate from house chalk and also to minimize moisture transfer. I wouldn't use much more than an eighth inch off the top before I would donate a piece to the pool room. In the very low rent area Buffalo's was in, a suburb of New Orleans patrolled day and night by ladies of easy virtue and other denizens, it was amazing how many people would chase me a hundred feet or more when they found a piece of my chalk they thought I had accidentally left behind!

If I was competing or seriously gambling I wouldn't bat an eye buying fifty dollar a cube chalk that helped my performance. I have paid over a thousand dollars for a tenth of a second working with cars. However, I chalk at the beginning of a rack and right before I put a lot of spin on the cue ball. Used like this, Master works great for me. I had accumulated samples of all kinds of wonder chalk, I gave them away to a friend that likes to try things.

Somehow these round and octagon shaped chalks tempt my dark side. A power chalk seems to have real potential to sell to the bangers. There is only one thing I fear, "FIRE, FIRE, We have ignition on table six!"

Hu

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Don't think you will be able to find any more Magic chalk outside of secondary market, have not see it or sale as a new item for a bit.
I've always purchased it thru ChicagoRJ, or whatever his current screen name is here on AZB nowadays. If/when it comes up again, I'll start with him. Maybe I'll be trying something else, heh.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
. Why on earth someone would opt not to chalk just because there's a theory that says you shouldn't have to as often? Sure V10 is expensive, but why skimp and risk the miscue..? By extension, if you're going to play on the cautious side and chalk for every shot, then why bother buying chalk that promotes less frequent use as one of it main selling features...? Yes of course it's less messy, but how does that improve your actual performance?

Jayson shaw right now doing his 14.1 challenge ,said to be using taom, notably not chalking up every shot.
🤷‍♂️

And again no claims ever of the chalk improving your own performance, merely a preference

Big fan of the Taom because it keeps my home table/balls significantly more clean than other chalks.

However, if you don't play at home then chalk is chalk and the cheaper stuff likely does fit better with most pre-shot routines.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Bingo. With Taom I hardly ever have to vacuum my table; I was vacuuming every other day with Master and the cloth still felt dirty.