GB v PHILIPPINES
Rubilen beats Kelly and Philippines lead 1-0 over GB

Now Shaw v Biado in shortest race they ever played

AUSTRIA A v JAPAN
Funny girl Yuki on hill 3-2 over Jasmin Ouschan

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kelly is a clutch player with or without an injured hand. that straightback bank was brilliant. jayson vs biado up next again i think

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Losers Qualification match (Losers go home, Winner qualify for quarterfinal)

Germany (Josh Filler/Hohmann/Pia Filler) vs USA (Styer/Tate/ Larson)
1st set Women singles (race to 4)-April Larson v Pia Filler

Bracketshttps://cuescore.com/tournament/bracket/?id=17808250

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Winners qualification
Taiwan, Philippines, Japan already through to quarterfinals
Underdog Slovakia may continue their giant killing spree from WCOP couple of years ago. They already upset Holland and now lead Spain 2-1 😆😄
spain slovakia.JPG

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know how Team USA selected it's players? It's pretty cool that Joey Tate and April Larson are getting a chance at the big stage, but it doesn't really make much sense to me that they were selected. Based on Fargo Ratings, April is rated #6 of all US females and Tate isn't even listed in the Top 100 of US Men. I know many top players aren't available but it seems like the US is treating this as some type of exhibition tournament.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
List of 24 confirmed teams
Favorites would have to be :
Austria
Taiwan
UK
Germany
Philippines
Spain

Am surprised WPA World #5 (was #2 before) is not playing for Finland. Also Zielinski missing for Poland.
Why no Alex and John Morra for Canada? No Oi for Japan :LOL:

View attachment 660013
Good call, your 6 favourites are in the quarter finals together with Japan and Poland

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
GB v PHILIPPINES
Rubilen beats Kelly and Philippines lead 1-0 over GB
I know it's a short race, but this is surprising given the mediocre form Amit showed at the World Games in July.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know how Team USA selected it's players? It's pretty cool that Joey Tate and April Larson are getting a chance at the big stage, but it doesn't really make much sense to me that they were selected. Based on Fargo Ratings, April is rated #6 of all US females and Tate isn't even listed in the Top 100 of US Men. I know many top players aren't available but it seems like the US is treating this as some type of exhibition tournament.
Isn't that what it is? I like the fact that these kids get a chance to play on a big stage. I hope that pressure pushes them to the next level. We just have a variety of promotions putting on conflicted events, no real ranking system( Fargo could count I suppose), no consolidated tour. I hope they do more and add more up and coming players from every country!

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Isn't that what it is? I like the fact that these kids get a chance to play on a big stage. I hope that pressure pushes them to the next level. We just have a variety of promotions putting on conflicted events, no real ranking system( Fargo could count I suppose), no consolidated tour. I hope they do more and add more up and coming players from every country!
No, this is not an exhibition lol! What gives you that idea? This is a real tournament with real prize money and accolades as far as I'm concerned. The other teams all seem to have done their best to field actual pro players to try to win this tournament. Our team looks like an after thought. I just don't get it.

Sure, it's a great experience to get these kids on the big stage but why aren't we trying to win? We have the players to win, we just didn't supply any.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
First:
I really like watching 9 ball.

Second:
We had a lot of discussions about 9ball break, racking, pocket size and so on and so on...
After watching the tournaments in Klagenfurt I wonder, if 10ball might be the way to go for professional pool or at least the discipline that is interesting to watch without all the break shananigans.
As usual, a well-considered post from you.

One observation I made when Matchroom changed the break at the European Open was that, with the advantage that normally comes with the break so greatly diminished, the nine-ball break and run stats would drop toward the level of ten ball and the game will look a lot more like ten-ball.

The jury is still out and I'm giving this a chance for the simple reason that Matchroom usually gets it right, but ten ball is more likely to catch my fancy than in the past if the nine-ball break and run stats don't rebound as players practice and learn the new break in use at Matchroom events. Personally, I think the break and run rate will rebound from the pathetic level seen at the European Open as long as Matchroom stops tweaking the break --- I hope I'm right, but if I'm wrong, ten ball might one day be viewed as the "break and run" game and the one with more pace than nine ball, and if that happens, it will gain fans.

All that said, I still hate shootouts and doubt I'd ever attend an event that uses the shootout format.

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, this is not an exhibition lol! What gives you that idea? This is a real tournament with real prize money and accolades as far as I'm concerned. The other teams all seem to have done their best to field actual pro players to try to win this tournament. Our team looks like an after thought. I just don't get it.

Sure, it's a great experience to get these kids on the big stage but why aren't we trying to win? We have the players to win, we just didn't supply any.
Who would we put up that didn't have a better opportunity to make the same money or more elsewhere? Who picks the team? Why is this event important? So many questions.

realtor1618

Registered

I don’t think we have the players to win a tournament like this at all. Outside of Shane, how many world class players, men or women, do we really have. Other countries have men and women that are world champions. We have Shane and not a whole lot more. Especially on the women's side. We would be a long shot no matter what team we put together in my opinion.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there are good players that just dislike this format. many teams lack their best players. plus svb had prior commitments.

personally i have more oversight with the format for a teams cup, which is kind of a novelty tournament anyway. also the shootout is less likely in best of 5 sets