Interview With Road Agent, Bobby Hunt - Part 3 Added

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
About dropped out of my chair while watching the first installment. At the end of that one when he stated describing Eddie O'Connell.
He hit out of the park describing Eddie, and the way he went about action. I ran with Eddie about a year and every road trip we took, he had it locked up before we even left to get in the car to head out. He had owned a nice room in Greensboro that had great action going on daily, but one night there was a fight in the parking lot and someone pulled a gun and left one of the participants dead. City shut the place down and Eddie had to sell. It reopened under different ownership, but never the same. I was running in and out of Greensboro and Eddie was moving me around taking people off and just having fun and making the nut to survive. He called me at Collisiem Billiards for me to come over and pick him up one early Saturday morning and we head out. First thing I ask him where are we going and who are we taking off. We are headed to Charlotte to watch action today. Another one of our friends had called Eddie and told him that he (Tim Daniels ) and Billy (Wade Crane) were headed to play Denny Cercy. One hell of a match , Billy was getting the better of that match for the first few hours, then a fight broke out towards the front of the room and both guys pulled guns on each other. Everybody ducked for cover . The owner of the room got between them and pulled his own gun and the heat sorta just went out of the air. For some reason Billy didn't play as well after that happened. They both stopped the play and made it happen at a latter date. Eddie asked me about what I saw when all that was taking place. I looked over at him and asked, if that was all staged just to jar Billy, because he was playing so well. Eddie winked and said I was catching on quickly. Thanks for posting all of this brought back some memories I hadn't thought of in quite awhile.
Everyone likes to read good action stories.
I don't like to read anything about jarring someone else, especially when guns are pulled out and it's planned.
That is a piece of shit move.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone likes to read good action stories.
I don't like to read anything about jarring someone else, especially when guns are pulled out and it's planned.
That is a piece of shit move.
Yep , I agree with you, if it was planned it was a shit move. What I didn't post before was, the owner of the room was a major bookie there in Charlotte NC. He was also the backer of Denney and was backing Denney that day. Did he plan it when Billy was handing Denney a major loss ?
I'm not really sure to this day, but Eddie asked me the question later on and after I had thought about it, it did fit in pretty well. The years I spent on the road , I saw many things go down that were shit moves. There were many times those moves were made to take home the money. Main thing I tried all of my days was to make sure I wasn't one making those moves happen.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being a pool bum is a easy trap to fall into. Any form of a bum. Especially when you are lazy. Which is me. I’m a lazy person naturally. I have to have the discipline to get my ass to do something or else.

I’ve had periods of being a bum in my life for 2-3 years here and there. Not suitcase broke because I won’t let that happen, but a few times I’ve accomplished zero for a couple years or a year. Never longer.

He was absolutely right it’s important to get something going and keep it going. It’s not just about $-it’s also about making something happen and not just doing nothing.

Best
Fatboy
Probably should have sugar coated it a bit about the bum biz, but that was the way Eddie put it to me. Too add , the discipline that I put towards my game at a young age, carried over to my discipline towards my business carrier . Lots of things could be learned from the road, not just about pool, but the in's and out's of dealing with people.
Best
Chip

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
The only thing that even comes close are the golf hustlers like Tommy Bolt when there was more to be made on public courses than as a professional. Great job..
I'm wondering if Titanic Thompson ever played pool? Ben Hogan said Titanic was the best golf ball striker he'd ever seen. I know Titanic did about everything else: golf, horseshoes, bowling, poker and etc. He could throw a skeleton key into the lock on a door, knock over a Coke bottle with throwing a card, get a strike with the bowling ball coming out of the gutter.... Amazing dude

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably should have sugar coated it a bit about the bum biz, but that was the way Eddie put it to me. Too add , the discipline that I put towards my game at a young age, carried over to my discipline towards my business carrier . Lots of things could be learned from the road, not just about pool, but the in's and out's of dealing with people.
Best
Chip
I ran around with Joe Villapondo and learned lots and a few other guys. What I learned doing that I carried into the biz world. I got schooled by many players when I was coming up and those lessons were far more valuable than anything I learned in school.

To this day I remember those lessons and still play by the rules I was taught and how to act in certain situations. When to talk, when to stfu.

I can’t repay the guys who helped me. But I got a couple guys I know in their early 20’s I’m giving that knowledge to and helping them along. So far so good. I told them what I was told-“someday teach a kid what I’m teaching you”. So I’m paying my debt to my teachers.

Hustling, business, tactics to create action are all important to me. I’m thankful I learned what I did. Sure I’ve been hustled, robbed, fell for traps. I’d be lying if I said otherwise. I learned from all those too. It’s a process and the life I chose.

And yeah I’ve heard of the gun play move-I’d never cross that line. Pimps use that move on their hoes to “get something on the bitch” so they can control them 100%. To me that’s as bad as it gets. How do I know? I been around. But that’s a line I’d never cross.

Sure I’ve done bad things. But I do have lines and standards. I’d never rob a person that was senile or had dementia in telemarketing. That’s way lower than I’d go.

Guys who resort to that aren’t hustlers they are losers/criminals and don’t have true hustlers blood.

A good hustler or con man doesn’t have to be a criminal. It’s a fine line.

Fatboy<——-has his limits

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl and I were talking about this , bout 20 years ago , he mentioned when he slipped into the room in Charlotte to play Denney , it cost them about 40 grand and he left safely.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl and I were talking about this , bout 20 years ago , he mentioned when he slipped into the room in Charlotte to play Denney , it cost them about 40 grand and he left safely.
Earl knows how to survive. I don’t know him well, but over the years we have spoke many times and I have 2 take aways. Don’t underestimate the obvious-he can play. And don’t underestimate his brains, he’s a sharp guy. He’s very aware of where he’s at and what he’s doing. He’s always been 100% with me and what he says is usually spot on. There’s a couple trivial things my opinion and his vary just a little.

Best
Fatboy

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I really enjoy watching the videos. I have never heard of the people he mentioned but very interesting. My question now is how is he getting along with life being a road hustler? No retirement, etc.

Kentucky Rack Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Wow, loved stumbling onto this thread, Never met Bobby, but the stories are great. Brings back old memories of growing up in the 70’s and the pool scene. Even our small town in Kentucky had 2 pool rooms and a college University Center. Action all the time. Great interview Thanks for sharing.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I really enjoy watching the videos. I have never heard of the people he mentioned but very interesting. My question now is how is he getting along with life being a road hustler? No retirement, etc.
Bobby is getting along fine these days. Thanks to jumping out of a helicopter in Vietnam before it was a little closer to the ground, the gov takes pretty good care of him.

I see him a few times a week at our local pool rooms, plus we do a fair amount of commentary together on the Yale Billiards Sharkstream during tournaments and match play.

Bobby is in his early 70's now and even though he can still beat pretty much all the guys who come through the door, he still laments over how time has pushed his game down a ball or two. Yesterday, he was there when a good friend of ours gave me 3 games on the wire going to 7 in 9b and I only won 1 out of 3 sets. It can always be worse, Bobby!!! :cry::sick::geek:

Thanks for noticing the Storytellers interviews.

best,
brian kc

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Yep , I agree with you, if it was planned it was a shit move. What I didn't post before was, the owner of the room was a major bookie there in Charlotte NC. He was also the backer of Denney and was backing Denney that day. Did he plan it when Billy was handing Denney a major loss ?
I'm not really sure to this day, but Eddie asked me the question later on and after I had thought about it, it did fit in pretty well. The years I spent on the road , I saw many things go down that were shit moves. There were many times those moves were made to take home the money. Main thing I tried all of my days was to make sure I wasn't one making those moves happen.
Love to hear some stories, if you want to PM instead.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Brian, those are great! Long though so I bookmarked them long ago to watch later. Most of these interviews with old players suffer from their difficulties to speak clearly and my hearing problems. I don't have the patience to watch those video's. No problem here!! Good clean production and great stories. I watched all three back to back with no fatigue or difficulties.

Somebody asked about Titanic Thompson's pool abilities, I happen to have a book that is roughly his life story. When he met Fats, Fats left no doubt they weren't in the same class playing pool lightening Ti's wallet $30,000 the first time around. The story goes that Fats took Ti for a million before they were done but then they teamed up, hit the highway, and Ti recovered his losses along with Fats' making the same amount. Seems like Ti was low A or weak shortstop speed at a guess. At cards and dice, I think everything except pool, Thompson was superior. According to the book Ti was a world class golfer too even without trickery. A few decades too early, there was no money in pro golf. He won a lot more gambling than he could on the tour.

Hu