Rush and Concentration In Games ...

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are Rush and Concentration the main culprit in the pool games ? Do they do the most harm in competition ?
Concentration is everything...and everything done requires concentration aside from pool. And Rush!...best way to mess anything up is to rush it.
Posted at my shop years ago

Attachments

• 798196D1-2502-4CE3-B512-89FE2DA5034B.jpeg
    798196D1-2502-4CE3-B512-89FE2DA5034B.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 132

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Appleton's style of clock play is thee most ''well managed'' of all.
He's always down on the shot after looking at the front & back of the ball being pocketed (two perspectives).
Usually about 15-17 seconds left when he begins execution.

Guy Manges

Registered
He's always down on the shot after looking at the front & back of the ball being pocketed (two perspectives).
Chris Mellon, Melling is a good example... Guy

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Machine gun B... Guy
He was great. I seen him play many times over the years. His son Sal can really play too-I played him first round in a tourney once. I lost 9-6 or 9-5, I can’t recall. I just wanted to win 5 or 6 games and I did-was happy with that result, was about 13-14 years ago.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Focus is one of the most important things I have learned from many hours of watching the best in the world.
And the men who hold high places
Must be the ones to start.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds interesting.
Could you explain what it means to imagine the front or back of the being pocketed please ?
Images or diagrams will be good
Thanks

Island Drive

Silver Member
You look at the shot from the cue ball to the obj. ball.
Next you walk behind the obj. and look at the obj. ball to the cue ball.
With this information, player is able to feel the shot/angle and cueing needed to get from that ball to the next.
Darren, then makes his decision on the shot at hand/cueing needed to determine his walk up to the shot.
Similar I'd think to a golfer putting, looking at both sides of the shot, to make sure which choice is preferred.
This gives the player their best chance at executing the shot/cueing/with proper speed.
By doing this, when you miss, your able to adjust/improve as play progresses.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You look at the shot from the cue ball to the obj. ball.
Next you walk behind the obj. and look at the obj. ball to the cue ball.
With this information, player is able to feel the shot/angle and cueing needed to get from that ball to the next.
Darren, then makes his decision on the shot at hand/cueing needed to determine his walk up to the shot.
Similar I'd think to a golfer putting, looking at both sides of the shot, to make sure which choice is preferred.
This gives the player their best chance at executing the shot/cueing/with proper speed.
By doing this, when you miss, your able to adjust/improve as play progresses.
Thanks
Will try that soon
But on a side note, do u do this for every shot or only for tougher shots ?
as it feels really tiring to walk back n forth for every shot

Island Drive

Silver Member
Watch Appleton, pretty much all his shots, as it's Mandatory to be on the proper side of the next ball to get to the next ball on the correct side and so on.
You'll be constantly getting feedback on your decisions/results.
Good use of time in Match play, to help you accomplish your goals, all the while watching and learning, as conditions can and do change during play, especially with new cloth as it wears, and chalk, hand oils etc.
These elements affect your spin/draw and table speed.
Similar to a golf course with the grass growing throughout play, effecting your game and shot decisions.

tomatoshooter

as it feels really tiring to walk back n forth for every shot
Saves you that long walk back to the chair.

I like to shoot quickly but I'm learning that it's better to save time by missing less. It amazes me how much difference concentration and focus make, even on easier shots. Maybe because the physical action seems so simple and not a lot of effort, I think it requires a similar amount of concentration. Not true, it means there is more mental effort.