How to use this tip tool?

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've attached a photo of a tip tool. What's the purpose of the center portion between the two prongs? When I purchased it (online), I thought there were blades in there so you can spin the tip between the two prongs and it would shave off the mushroomed portion of the tip. But there is no blade. It's just smooth metal on the inside of the prongs. Seems like a POS to me...anyone want it? lol

Attachments

• 61rEaj9RpKL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    61rEaj9RpKL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 83

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've attached a photo of a tip tool. What's the purpose of the center portion between the two prongs? When I purchased it (online), I thought there were blades in there so you can spin the tip between the two prongs and it would shave off the mushroomed portion of the tip. But there is no blade. It's just smooth metal on the inside of the prongs. Seems like a POS to me...anyone want it? lol
these are ok just to scuff/shape. those inner sides i think are to burnish after sanding the sides of the tip.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cut the "forks" off with a hack saw, and use the rest of it.

i sometimes drop this tool on the pool hall floor, put my foot on the forks and scuff the tip by holding the cue upside down, spinning it. like making a fire, only just a few revolutions. fast and uniform (90 deg) scuffing that way

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use it and like it but it has to be the old metal ones, not the new plastic ones.

If the tip is installed correctly it should not come off. None of mine ever have but I do a light burnish. I don't cram it down like I am trying to take out the mushroom.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I havent read the replies but i would advise you to throw it away and buy a last4ever tip tool
jmho
icbw

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
That Tool is like Swiss Army knife, do man things, IMHO nothing well.

Chalk & 220 sand paper shape,, and deglaze Tip. New Dollar bill is go burnished for mini mushrooms.

UltimateTool is not something I would own, had one gift to me, scratched ferrel, gave it away.

Last edited:

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like others said it is meant to burnish the sides of the tip but it will scratch the ferrule try at your own risk.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like others said it is meant to burnish the sides of the tip but it will scratch the ferrule try at your own risk.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Come on people.... it's not the inside tip burnisher that scratches the ferrule. It is the sandpaper on the OUTSIDE of the forks that do the scratching when you remove mushrooms (sanding the side of the tip). Like any tool, you need to use it properly.

kev_eh

Can someone point to a thread on proper use of these tools for cue tip care? I've looked around, but found a very mixed bag of demos, and nothing really detailed, step-by-step. Whichever is the best method/tool would help narrow it down. Many thanks!

xX-Wizard-Xx

Can someone point to a thread on proper use of these tools for cue tip care? I've looked around, but found a very mixed bag of demos, and nothing really detailed, step-by-step. Whichever is the best method/tool would help narrow it down. Many thanks!
forget about the prongs and the sandpaper on the side ... use for Nickle or dime shaping and roughing the surface .... the other functions are not safe to use on the cue