Rankings of Custom Cue Makers

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
So what you're saying is . . . .

That according to Thomas Wayne's postings as I interpret them he is the best cue maker alive, at least for the first 100 spots :)

Just my opinion, Thomas certainly never "said" that to my knowledge. For all I know he might be more humble than that and only think he fills up the first ten spots.

golubushka

Silver Member
Another interesting thing, is that for current cue makers, the current market value of the maker's cues...(like maybe in the FS section here), might be a pretty good way to start to order the list...(so it's supply/demand based too)...so what would be near the top...Barry, Black Boar, Searing, Hercek etc., (Ok I'm just guessing because I haven't really been following the market lately anyway)....

Edit: So PFD, Black and Tascarella would be lower in the list than the above makers...and SouthWest and Gina higher than these makers etc...

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I collect mainly "vinatge" cues...as far as current makers from the *collector* point of view...everyone knows what's hot in the last 5 years, (and which makers are backed up on orders for years etc.)...but which cues will hold their value 5 or 10 years from now, well maybe that's another matter...(e.g. I have a few Tascarella cues that I have collected along with my vintage cues)...

Gee what did a Gus go for in the 80's...(was it a few hundred $$$???)...and then we all know what they go for today...was does a Barry go for today, and what will it be worth down the line (heck if I know) etc....

As far as cues from the *player* point of view, well then I'm not the guy to comment at all on that...

Well maybe this was a little different perspective on this subject anyway....

I saw Gus deliver a brand new basic cue-2 shafts with Ivory ferrules 59" to Neptune Joe Frady in the mid 80's for $425.00 :eek:

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
1 Kenny Murrell
2 Andy Gilbert
3 Mike Webb
4 lomax cues
5 bd cues
6 Shane @Elite cues.
7 Richard Chudy

EJmagnum186

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will say.
Runde
Mike Webb
Joe Calalucca
Paul Drexler
Tony from BB

And out of respect for all the other fine cue makers out there, I only list these names because I have owned cues from these people and was happy with my cue......for all the other cue makers, I simply have not purchased yours yet.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
There's a lot of really good cuemakers out there. Some are icons, some will be before they die. I couldn't rank the top 5, let alone the top 15.

TonyB2377

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a poll for the top 15 cues that you want to kick yourself in the ass for selling over the years. :D

Marine1955

For myself my personal top 15 active cuemakers are the following:

Ernie@Ginacue
Richard Black
Joel Hercek
Paul Drexler
Barry Szamboti
Tad
Jerry McWorter
Bill Schick
Pete Tascarella
Richard Chudy
Judd Fuller
Thomas Wayne
Richard Phillipi
Chris Nitti
Ed Prewitt
Hey you said Berry Szamboti is he the son of Gus Szamboti?? I haven't heard of Szamboti in years not since I was a Kid nearly. Good choice of Makers.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We'll I don't see Guido Orlandi up there, but I'm betting not many know of his Cue Making expertise and/or his Conical Joint, which in itself can change any cue's hit. But Guido isn't a proud or egotistical man & couldn't care about a title. He is a Christian man, who is enjoying life & enjoys his craft & his customers. The Conical Joint is his MasterCraft Creation, None better..

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your rankings of custom cue makers? Lets say top ten-fifteen in order. Just trying to get an idea of what everyone thinks. I know some of the obvious ones but after my top 3 I have no clue...

AD
Whosever cue I’m playing with and winning on a given day. That includes house cues.

Last edited:

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey you said Berry Szamboti is he the son of Gus Szamboti?? I haven't heard of Szamboti in years not since I was a Kid nearly. Good choice of Makers.
No, Berry Szamboti is a smoothie you can get at Jamba Juice. The poster just really likes smoothies.

Awesome dredge. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Any cue maker that does what they say and delivers when promised that you like to play with.
2. Any cue maker that does what they say and delivers when promised that you do not like to play with.
3. Any other cue maker.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
1. Any cue maker that does what they say and delivers when promised that you like to play with.
2. Any cue maker that does what they say and delivers when promised that you do not like to play with.
3. Any other cue maker.

Nineteen year old post back to life, guess it was not a DNR.🤯

jgirard

Registered
We'll I don't see Guido Orlandi up there, but I'm betting not many know of his Cue Making expertise and/or his Conical Joint, which in itself can change any cue's hit. But Guido isn't a proud or egotistical man & couldn't care about a title. He is a Christian man, who is enjoying life & enjoys his craft & his customers. The Conical Joint is his MasterCraft Creation, None better..
I jumped on this thread to throw Guido's name into the ring. I have an old flat-faced joint with a 3/8-10 pin cue I bought from him at a tournament in New York around 30 years ago. I sent it to him 3-4 years back to have it restored to original condition. Without question the best hitting cue I've ever held in my hands. I just emailed him yesterday to have him make another shaft for me but it would appear his email is down. Guido is a class act. My "higher end" cues are for sale... That plain old cue from Guido will be buried with me.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nineteen year old post back to life, guess it was not a DNR.🤯
True. But it might be interesting to revive and bring up to date. A few named on the previous lists are no longer taking orders and Dennis Dieckman passed away a few years ago. Who would be current choices for cuemakers who would take an order and actually deliver a cue some time in the future?