For all the negative Shane talk...

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
There isn't a long line to play him some all around.
Big table and bar box, especially bar box 8 ball.
Heck you might even add Chinese 8 ball table too.

3 different tables maybe 4 different games.
No steam split "exhibition", just cash from each backer.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I personally think Shane doesn’t care what anyone thinks or says about him. He has been a straight champion for many years and has nothing to prove to anyone.

Out of all the American players Shane is hands down the most successful and respected players that we have.

He shouldn’t be held accountable for anything that he doesn’t do himself. Nor should anyone have a say in it.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There isn't a long line to play him some all around.
Big table and bar box, especially bar box 8 ball.
Heck you might even add Chinese 8 ball table too.

3 different tables maybe 4 different games.
No steam split "exhibition", just cash from each backer.
Who is promoting this event no one wants to play SVB in?

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane had a hard 3 days at the office against Jason. Bounced out of the US Open against the best players in the world. Lots of best, down to a number of hottest. He was also just back from a trip thru the Philippines. Tired? Hell, I don’t know, but he ain’t done😉
Folks that immediately jump on board with shit to talk about him when these days happen must be short of stuff to do.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally think Shane doesn’t care what anyone thinks or says about him. He has been a straight champion for many years and has nothing to prove to anyone.

Out of all the American players Shane is hands down the most successful and respected players that we have.

He shouldn’t be held accountable for anything that he doesn’t do himself. Nor should anyone have a say in it.
I know Shane very well, for many years. I will not put his personal biz in the street. However I’ll address what you said as it’s kinda right and kinda not 100% right.

Shane doesn’t care about the haters, no successful person does. We all have them and it comes with success. So we just tend to ignore them in general. This can be applied to every successful person I know, in all walks of life.

However Shane is human and does want to do his best and win and be the top American pool player-which he has done a good job of. So to that extent yes he does care about the general consensus of his public image and what the majority of people think of him. That’s called pride, and again shared by most-not all successful people.

Shane is a class act, he pays careful attention to his public image and works to be respected and #1 as that was his dream from his childhood.

He has succeeded. Because he cares overall and is a proud man. Rightfully so.

Dropping a session to Shaw? So what? He’s tired. Not old and run down. He’s playing the best pool of his life up til day 3 of Denis a couple weeks ago.

As I mentioned before he’s not 40 yet. There’s plenty more of Shane to come. He wants to cement himself in with the short list of greatest of all time. And he’s doing a damn good job of that.

We should all be proud of his accomplishments and any knockers-go play him and get a taste, then speak up……crickets.

Best
Fatboy

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane is a class act, he pays careful attention to his public image and works to be respected and #1 as that was his dream from his childhood.
I think Shane is a great pool player, but an awful human being.

Does that make me a bad guy?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it gets weird I'll bow out, but I've never heard someone say that about Shane, so my curiosity got the best of me. I've played with the man for hours, hung out, went to eat, etc. Never seen anything I don't care for with him. Always willing to learn new things. :)
Same for me over the last 15-16 years.

Just a troll stirring the pot. I choose to ignore them. I know SVB first hand very well. That’s all I need to say about that topic.

Hope your well 😃

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Imagine the state of pool in the U.S. if Shane chose a different occupation.
He set the bar for all players under him, he's elevated their game, not another has achieved his level.
There is Shane on the perch and the others are looking up.
Everyone trying to take him down, hoping to be mentioned in the same sentence as an equal, the same level, wanting to be the next Shane.
News bulletin, they're not.

I'm not impressed easily, pocketing balls and running a few racks doesn't impress me.
What impresses me about Shane is his Mental Fortitude, desire and passion, work ethic, ability to withstand mental and physical distraction, creative thinker, safety and kicking game.
Sustaining focus and concentration, maintaining tunnel vision for the task at hand.
A champions champion, they don't come around everyday.

When I look at the players under Shane I say "eh'', I can turn the channel, not impressed.
Yes they can turn in a great performance, day in and day out, not impressive to me.
They play well, but they aren't standing on top of the mountain.
Imagine pool in the U.S the last 15 years with our # 2-10 ranked players as our best, no Shane.

I'm not a Shane lover, hugger, hater, been around the game my entire life, I love pool/billiards/
Imagine the state of pool in the U.S. without Shane to chase.
Where would the bar be set by players under Shane? I say very attainable by quite a few.
None have matched the bar set by Shane, or come close.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shane's a living legend. He's not the best, but he's surely still top five and has been for fifteen years, and that deserves a whole lot of respect.

He can still beat anyone at a moment's notice in a big spot. A long race, by the way, doesn't qualify as a big spot in my books, no matter how high the bet is. These long races are getting old in a hurry and as, presently, they are merely PPV splits with guaranteed money, they mean less than they ever have.

This year, Shane won in the biggest spot of them all, the final of the World Pool Championship. He's due all the respect in the world for that extraordinary accomplishment.

Yes, Shane's in a mini-slump, and I'm not going to engage in the nonsense that he's tired, burnt out, distracted or would rather be fishing. Showing up fully prepared to succeed is a basic component of great play. The fields are too deep right now to mass-produce titles, but those who win at any of the majors (WPC, World 10-ball, UK Open, Eurpean Open, US Open, and the International) have made the grade.

Last edited:

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Shane very well, for many years. I will not put his personal biz in the street. However I’ll address what you said as it’s kinda right and kinda not 100% right.

Shane doesn’t care about the haters, no successful person does. We all have them and it comes with success. So we just tend to ignore them in general. This can be applied to every successful person I know, in all walks of life.

However Shane is human and does want to do his best and win and be the top American pool player-which he has done a good job of. So to that extent yes he does care about the general consensus of his public image and what the majority of people think of him. That’s called pride, and again shared by most-not all successful people.

Dropping a session to Shaw? So what? He’s tired. Not old and run down. He’s playing the best pool of his life up til day 3 of Denis a couple weeks ago.

As I mentioned before he’s not 40 yet. There’s plenty more of Shane to come. He wants to cement himself in with the short list of greatest of all time. And he’s doing a damn good job of that.

We should all be proud of his accomplishments and any knockers-go play him and get a taste, then speak up……crickets.

Best
Fatboy
Nice post fatboy,
I don't get why he is so criticised. You can't play great all the time. He seams like a real nice guy. He has done a hell of a lot for pool.
I also don't get why it's all about mosconi cups. That's not just down to him.
I reckon, there is a lot more he will win. still got many years ahead of him!!!

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Who is promoting this event no one wants to play SVB in?
I'd imagine whoever wanted to be against him.
Some stakehorse out there thinks Fedor or Filler or Kaci, Ko can beat Shane in an all around on different tables.

Monti

It’s funny. I’m fairly new to pool, played in bars but didnt realise I was crap until about 5 years ago. That’s when I started playing properly and following the pool world, finding out about names like Earl Efren and Svb

If I didn’t know pool existed before hand I would be saying Svb is in the conversation for top 3 players pretty much all the time and there is no conversation when it comes to best current American

All I can say is that if there are so many of these haters putting him down, he must have been completely owning it before I came along!

Monti

That came out slightly wrong, obviously I don’t mean me coming along has pushed him of his pedestal 😀. I meant me coming along as a part of the pool fraternity!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best
Fatboy
Well said Fatboy.
Shane is a true champ in every sense of the word.
He is an admirable credit to pool, unlike some others.
This last matchup, I bet Shaw ONLY because of the 15 game spot I had.
I'll admire and cheer Shane from now on, in whatever he chooses to do in life, especially fishing !!!