Cushion Billiard players in the Hall of Fame.

Stevexjfe

There have been a few of the greatest Cushion Billiard players inducted into the Hall of Fame with the likes of Willie Hoppe, Raymond Ceulemans and Sang Lee but there haven't been any Cushion Billiard players inducted into the Hall of Fame for the last 15 years, I think some may be missing from induction with the likes of Torbjörn Blomdahl who is turning 60 and Semih Saygıner (MR. Magic) who is 58 or Dick Jaspers who is 57 years old, just to name a few. I don't know I just feel the BCA Hall of Fame may be over looking the amazing careers of some of these players, no idea why.
What do you think, should these players be inducted?

Attachments

• Torbjörn.jpg
    Torbjörn.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Semih.jpg
    Semih.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Jaspers.jpg
    Jaspers.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough call for blomdahl and sayginer, imo.

Both GIANTS of the game, not only supremely skilled and knowledgeable, but massive contributors to the growth (re-growth?) of it, worldwide.

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
***** I think some may be missing from induction with the likes of Torbjörn Blomdahl (17 time World Champion) who is turning 60 and Semih Saygıner (MR. Magic) who is 58 or Dick Jaspers (11 time World Champion) who is 57 years old, just to name a few.*******
Here are 3 living legends of the 3 cushions discipline !!

Raphcleary, i have a little question for you : please, where can you read that Torbjörn Blomdahl is 17 time World Champion , and Dick Jaspers 11 time World Champion ?
Both are multiple time world champion, that's right, but I do believe that those numbers (17 & 11) are obviously wrong, overestimated... that's why i am so curious when it comes to your source of information ...

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are all still active top players. There's plenty of time to put them in when they retire. And I'd add Fred Caudron, Dani Sanchez, and Marco Zannetti to the list.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
only ceulemans is above blomdahl in terms of palmares. i think torbjörn may have one more gold medal in him, but who knows.

some year ago they made a TV documentary about him that aired on the biggest TV channel in sweden - it was called "the worlds best torbjörn". that was really cool especially since carom billiards is a miniscule sport in sweden (american pool is the main cue sport, followed by snooker)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The requirements for the BCA Hall of Fame include significant wins in the US, IIRC. The lack of major carom events in the US means that some of the players don't qualify even though they clearly meet all the other criteria.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... , where can you read that Torbjörn Blomdahl is 17 time World Champion , and Dick Jaspers 11 time World Champion ?
Here is the official UMB list of World Champions: http://files.umb-carom.org/Public/Docs/WorldChampionshipsmedalwinners.pdf

Blomdahl has won the 3-Cushion World Championship six times. The first was in 1987 in Cairo, Egypt and the latest was in 2019 in Randers, Denmark (grand average 2.122). That's a pretty long run.

Dick Jaspers has won the 3-C World Championship five times.

Raymond Ceulemans won the WC 21 times, 1963-2001.

Stevexjfe

Here are 3 living legends of the 3 cushions discipline !!

Raphcleary, i have a little question for you : please, where can you read that Torbjörn Blomdahl is 17 time World Champion , and Dick Jaspers 11 time World Champion ?
Both are multiple time world champion, that's right, but I do believe that those numbers (17 & 11) are obviously wrong, overestimated... that's why i am so curious when it comes to your source of information ...
Read it on Wiki, but I'll change it to multiple world champion, because I understand what you mean. If you include BWA World Cups as world championship along with UMB World Championship, I believe this is where the numbers are from.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Read it on Wiki, but I'll change it to multiple world champion, because I understand what you mean. If you include BWA World Cups as world championship along with UMB World Championship, I believe this is where the numbers are from.
The UMB listing includes three championships for Blomdahl based on World Cups.

Besides the official list, you might also want to consult Bert van Manen's bio of Blomdahl.

Stevexjfe

Here is the official UMB list of World Champions: http://files.umb-carom.org/Public/Docs/WorldChampionshipsmedalwinners.pdf

Blomdahl has won the 3-Cushion World Championship six times. The first was in 1987 in Cairo, Egypt and the latest was in 2019 in Randers, Denmark (grand average 2.122). That's a pretty long run.

Dick Jaspers has won the 3-C World Championship five times.

Raymond Ceulemans won the WC 21 times, 1963-2001.
Ceulemans: 21
Blomdahl: 7
Jaspers: 5

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ceulemans: 21
Blomdahl: 7
Jaspers: 5
Blomdahl is now at 7 -- the online list is slightly out of date -- because the UMB decided to recognize two World Cup series as World Championships. Those occurred at a time (1990s) when the pro tour and the UMB were having "significant differences of viewpoint". In effect, Sang Lee and Blomdahl each won a World Championship this month. Here is what Bert van Manen said on his Facebook page:

CropperCapture[115].png

Stevexjfe

Blomdahl is now at 7 -- the online list is slightly out of date -- because the UMB decided to recognize two World Cup series as World Championships. Those occurred at a time (1990s) when the pro tour and the UMB were having "significant differences of viewpoint". In effect, Sang Lee and Blomdahl each won a World Championship this month. Here is what Bert van Manen said on his Facebook page:

View attachment 667393
Yep, I updated it!