shaft diameter

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing cue shaft diameter. I'm very curious. Ages ago the standard generic diameter was 13mm (.512"). Nowadays I have no clue. Metric or Imperial system please give me some numbers for what YOU play with. I'd like to get as many as possible. FYI: 1 mm = .03937 of an inch. Or, .010" per 1/4 millimeter. Thank you very much for your participation.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
12.0 for me.

I think the trend in pool has been to thinner shafts. At the other end of the range, artistic billiard players tend to larger diameters for their masse shafts like 14mm.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would you guess the most, second most and third most would be Mike?
Your hand size is an important factor. The shaft should fit snuggly in the bridge, but still glide smoothly. I have bigger paws, so a 12.75 min diam suits me.

The the style of bridge might dictate the taper. An open bridge may work best with a slow rise or conical taper, while a close bridge may feel best with the straight pro taper. Cheers

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Your hand size is an important factor.
I am willing to bet one will find a direct correlation between the size of one's hands and his cue shaft. Big hands will tend toward larger shafts and vice versa because what will seem a pencil in one becomes a pine log in the other.

What I have long wondered is whether spin is applied better with a thinner cue, and whether a thicker cue delivers more control/better accuracy. In posing these questions, I am not referring to the effect of taper but simply to the size of tip.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
What I have long wondered is whether spin is applied better with a thinner cue, and whether a thicker cue delivers more control/better accuracy. In posing these questions, I am not referring to the effect of taper but simply to the size of tip.
The size of the tip does not change the location of it's edge in relation to the miscue limit of the CB.

Only change is how low you bridge and/or how much to need to angle you cue to reach that threshold.

Now... A larger tip could more easily contain a notable flat spot that would allow you to cue a tiny amount off center to the CB but still strike the CB center.