SJM at the 2022 International Open

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
matchroom has about a small positive rating among the viewers. maybe better than that.

they can hit a home run and show they are listening with almost no cost. just make the balls traditionally colored. especially the 5 ball.
it says hey we will work with those that pay our bills. instead of saying we run the show and do what we want.

Mich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never realized "slow" play was such a big deal. I actually believe that when a Player does have a difficult shot/decision the shot clock is a detriment. Watching players run around the table is ridiculous. In all my years watching pool the only player I thought was "slow" was Gregg Fix. You can ask SJM and Bob Jewett about him. :cool:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In all my years watching pool the only player I thought was "slow" was Gregg Fix. You can ask SJM and Bob Jewett about him. :cool:
Kaci isn't much faster than Fix, who is the undoubted standard bearer for slow play of the entire nine-ball era.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
so what happens if one player or more decides to take an extraordinary amount of time between shots?
and refuses to play faster.

the answer is that the tournament director has to penalize or banish him,. and that is his job.

so you have three options to keep pool running smoothly so that interest isnt lost as far as delaying the game.

1. penalize slow players after a warning.
2. banish them if they continue
3. have a shot clock and punish all for what just a few do.

take your pick and choose wisely.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never realized "slow" play was such a big deal. I actually believe that when a Player does have a difficult shot/decision the shot clock is a detriment. Watching players run around the table is ridiculous. In all my years watching pool the only player I thought was "slow" was Gregg Fix. You can ask SJM and Bob Jewett about him. :cool:
Or me. Greg was one of the slowest players I ever saw. Only one slower I remember was Frank McGown playing Straight Pool. Many of his 125 point games lasted well over four hours. One other super slow player who comes to mind was Dick Lane. He really tortured you while he was beating you to death! :(

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i new mcgown fairly well. played too slow for me so i rarely did much with him. but he liked to lose betting on things. he liked me as we fished the same rivers around there.
i would go to billings to play his partner and majority owner of the corner pockets george frank, he was a go off to me.

mcgown was a nice guy and enjoyed getting beat when gambling. seemed like he wanted to lose.

but you didnt play him straight pool as he never missed on those big pockets and you sat in the chair for maybe an hour before you got to the table.

there have been many slow tournament players throughout history, but not many cash players as no one would play them often enough for them to make any money. and they took so long to play each game even with the nuts they couldn't make a days pay.

dont let the few slow players ruin pool just because they may play great. it happened in poker once people found out it was beneficial and there was no penalty.