Colleges in the US that have an active pool team/community?

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aka: deemed a success by all participants.
I didn’t get paid for the 5 ball or 9 ball on the last game when we were asked to leave so some Georgia Tech and Gamecocks out there still owe me a couple of dollars. Other than that it was a complete success.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn’t get paid for the 5 ball or 9 ball on the last game when we were asked to leave so some Georgia Tech and Gamecocks out there still owe me a couple of dollars. Other than that it was a complete success.
IMG_20211015_183516_01.jpg

Approved!!

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cornerman, Poolbum and I represent UMASS/Amherst and Hampshire College (of 30+ years ago), and it's a lifelong club of three. I'd say it's a pretty fine set of passionate bangers (two state champions and an ACUI National runner up). Anybody else here from the Five Colleges?

Fred, do you know if the rec center still has the tables? I think I remember 11 9-footers.

Last edited:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Cornerman, Poolbum and I represent UMASS/Amherst and Hampshire College (of 30+ years ago), and it's a lifelong club of three. I'd say it's a pretty fine set of passionate bangers (two state champions and an ACUI National runner up). Anybody else here from the Five Colleges?

Fred, do you know if the rec center still has the tables? I think I remember 11 9-footers.
We had an impressive group of collegiate players in that room. I still remember Jim Owens and his stories of 14.1 $$$ games in private rooms around New England too.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most organized college pool competition is gone, I think the national tournament ended several years ago, maybe 5,6 years ago. Even the top pool school program (really the only one) that Mark Wilson ran ended recently.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most organized college pool competition is gone, I think the national tournament ended several years ago, maybe 5,6 years ago. Even the top pool school program (really the only one) that Mark Wilson ran ended recently.
Here is a thread about the ACUI tournament going away in the summer of 2020.

There was sort of a replacement at the Junior Nationals with an Under-22 division in 2021. I don't know if that continued in 2022. Here are the results of all the 2021 junior tournaments:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... There was sort of a replacement at the Junior Nationals with an Under-22 division in 2021. I don't know if that continued in 2022. Here are the results of all the 2021 junior tournaments:

There was an Under 22 juniors event this year. Here are the results:

1st Landon Hollingsworth
2nd Nathan Nunes
3rd Adrian Prasad
4th Kodi Allen
5th-6th Eric Roberts and Joey Tate

At least half of those were under 18. I don't know the path for entry, but I assume that there is some way for the members of collegiate teams to qualify.

Hey everyone,
My name is Jason Davis and I am a sophomore at Dartmouth College. I run the Dartmouth Billiards Student Organization, and we are looking to find other schools that want to play us in interuniversity competition. The only school that I have contacted is UNH, and they have an active community, but not an official team. Let us know if you are interested in playing. Here is an email you may use: jasonadavis2021@gmail.com

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you know if Northwestern still has their team?
Author & Billiards Digest columnist, George Fels taught the pool/billiards class and then brought fellow author & Billiards Digest columnist Larry Schwartz, on board to teach students at NWU, but I don’t think they have a competitive team.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Penn West University- California, formerly Cal U of Pennsylvania, had/has a small billiards club with a room of 3-4 tables. Last I knew was 10 years ago.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Villanova

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's a list from a few years ago:

All of the colleges with billiards teams are listed below. There are also quite a few schools with billiards physical education programs.

Babson College,
Boston University,
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo,
Cornell University, (which you already know about)
Emory Billiards,
Idaho State University,
Illinois State University,
Iowa State,
John Hopkins University,
Northern Michigan University,
Northeastern University,
Penn State University,
Penn State-Harrisburg,
Purdue University,
Roanoke College,
Shippensburg University,
Texas A & M,
Texas Tech,
University of Central Florida,
University of Dayton,
University of Houston,
University of Iowa,
University of Michigan,
University of Texas,
University of Texas-Arlington,
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater,
USF-St. Petersburg,
Washington College

Arnaldo ~ Highly annoying know-it-all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow! USF in St Pete have one?

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The list is pretty old actually, so I don't know if they still have a program, Most of the schools on this list I reached out to, and their programs were not established.
Jason: You and the OP would do very well to contact Mike Massey with your questions and outreaches:

miketrickshot@gmail.com

Mike knows everything about what's going on everywhere in the country billiards-wise.

He's a very friendly guy. Being personable, savvy, informative, and up-to-date is his bread and butter. He's seen and played more large and small US (and international) venues than anyone -- ever.

Arnaldo ~ He'll get back to you for sure, even if he feels up front that you might not be a business (lessons, DVDs, exhibitions) prospect. He's savvy enough to never write anyone off who has taken the time to communicate with him.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 70's Purdue reportedly had the biggest pool room in the entire state of Indiana. I played there a few times, and among other things I remember that they didn't allow nine ball.

We got around it by inventing a new game: Rack all 15 balls, power break, run any 6 balls in any order you want, and then run the remaining 9 balls in numerical order, with the highest numbered remaining ball being designated the "nine" ball. I thought it was a pretty neat game, but it never caught on when I got back to Maryland and tried to introduce it there.

They also had a couple of 9' snooker tables with the softest snooker pockets ever. Nick Varner might have run a few 147s on it for all I know.

In the 70's Purdue reportedly had the biggest pool room in the entire state of Indiana. I played there a few times, and among other things I remember that they didn't allow nine ball.

We got around it by inventing a new game: Rack all 15 balls, power break, run any 6 balls in any order you want, and then run the remaining 9 balls in numerical order, with the highest numbered remaining ball being designated the "nine" ball. I thought it was a pretty neat game, but it never caught on when I got back to Maryland and tried to introduce it there.

They also had a couple of 9' snooker tables with the softest snooker pockets ever. Nick Varner might have run a few 147s on it for all I know.
Do you have a contact that I could reach out to?