Fargo question- could be a dumb one…

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I'll let any 650 play the 9-ball ghost on a standard 9' Diamond and bet against him (or her). I'd say a player would need to be 700ish to beat the ghost consistently.
My thinking is in the middle. I'd say to be at a level to consistently beat the ghost in a race to 9 on a 9' diamond, one would need to be 675+. I'd bet even money or better below that imo. I doubt I can beat the ghost anymore and my Fargo supports that.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rambling Grampa story alert:
Playing Mixed Scotch Doubles with the wife. We broke and ran down to our last two balls and my wife scratched attempting a difficult shape. They had 7 balls all well spread with no problem balls. He took ball in hand and played safe. I couldn't figure why as he didn't need to improve any of their balls. He leaves me behind his ball near the side rail and close to the side pocket. One of our balls was a couple of inches off the same side rail and around the second diamond. My two rail kick system showed the 8 was in the way but if I shortened it enough to clear the 8 it had a chance of being a 3 rail kick. I called it and made it. With it brushing their ball that had the other one of ours blocked. Moved it just enough and we got out. Oh the look on his 👀 face. The transition from Smug to uh what the....was priceless

I think this sounds like total league mentality, keep playing safe and getting a few balls in each turn, which is OK for low level players. What I don't get is why, with ball in hand already, waste it to play a safe to possibly not get ball in hand again. Most of the time against good players this strategy of not making balls ends up going badly.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Seriously?? You break and get ball in hand. Balls made without scratching stay down, if you scratch they spot. Run out(slop and combos count) or lose. 9 on the snap is a win. The ghost is a helluva player, he never misses. ;) Beating the ghost to 9 on a big table is not easy.
Yep? I never did this game, heard about it so long ago, forgot what it was.
I tho would prefer to do the Rempe one with 15 balls on a 9'.

Now, every day.... I'd rather spend my time grooving my mechanics/swing/cueing/swinging straight and ball speed on my GC.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I think this sounds like total league mentality, keep playing safe and getting a few balls in each turn, which is OK for low level players. What I don't get is why, with ball in hand already, waste it to play a safe to possibly not get ball in hand again. Most of the time against good players this strategy of not making balls ends up going badly.
I think my point was😉, underestimated opponent skills can be fatal.
In my story (true by the way 😉) I could only guess as what his safety could gain that they didn't already have. With their strong player playing safe with what he perceived to be our strongest player shooting next. Obviously he didn't think they could make 8 shots in a row. Perhaps he was going for a three foul win.🤷 That goes with the smug expression after his safety, that he thought was "lock-up".

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep? I never did this game, heard about it so long ago, forgot what it was.
I tho would prefer to do the Rempe one with 15 balls on a 9'.

Now, every day.... I'd rather spend my time grooving my mechanics/swing/cueing/swinging straight and ball speed on my GC.
Let your old lady/gf be the ghost. Make same form of bet that you won't like if you lose. The heat is on playing Casper. You miss, you lose.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think my point was😉, underestimated opponent skills can be fatal.
In my story (true by the way 😉) I could only guess as what his safety could gain that they didn't already have. With their strong player playing safe with what he perceived to be our strongest player shooting next. Obviously he didn't think they could make 8 shots in a row. Perhaps he was going for a three foul win.🤷 That goes with the smug expression after his safety, that he thought was "lock-up".

3 Foul win in 8 ball is impossible unless they were using some odd made-up rule set LOL I can't think of any "normal" rules that has a loss on fouls in 8 ball. I just don't understand having ball in hand, not making any other ball, and just playing a safe. It's like dropping something, picking it up, only to drop it again and pick it up again. Just useless.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
3 Foul win in 8 ball is impossible unless they were using some odd made-up rule set LOL I can't think of any "normal" rules that has a loss on fouls in 8 ball. I just don't understand having ball in hand, not making any other ball, and just playing a safe. It's like dropping something, picking it up, only to drop it again and pick it up again. Just useless.
Yes just the only thing I could imagine he had in mind. Just in case I did foul again I was saving my smug look for when the ref told him "there's no 3 foul in 8 ball." To the tune of ,"There's no crying in baseball."😁

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just reading this post makes me realize what an incredible percentage Gorst had in this match. This is with one of the strongest players on earth coming back at you. He would probable shoot 100% against the ghost half the time.
Run-outs from first shot after Gorst's break:
By Gorst -- 29 of 46 (63%)
By Ko -- 4 of 13 (31%)

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll let any 650 play the 9-ball ghost on a standard 9' Diamond and bet against him (or her). I'd say a player would need to be 700ish to beat the ghost consistently.
Are you talking about per game? That is interesting.

dquarasr

Registered
Yes just the only thing I could imagine he had in mind. Just in case I did foul again I was saving my smug look for when the ref told him "there's no 3 foul in 8 ball." To the tune of ,"There's no crying in baseball."😁
A better play would have been to make a few balls then maneuver their balls to tie up the 8 or your remaining balls and force you to break them out.

But you might be good enough to do that, too, and still get out.

Zhero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I think it really depends on how you define "beating" the ghost. To be able to consistently beat the ghost in a race I'd think you need to be 700+ fargo on a 9-foot.

I think a 650 player can beat the ghost occasionally and generally stay within 2-3 racks during a theoretical race.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t have a fargo. Never will.

Watched a few matches and kinda figured out that when I’m in stroke I’m 675ish. +/-10. From what I can see by watching other guys in that range I have a bit to a lot more knowledge, but that’s about how I play. I’ve seen guys with less knowledge out play me-talent is why.

And to address this thread yeah 9B ghost 40-50% on a soft GC is about right for me. Kinda lines up with the other comparisons I’ve seen on other estimations.

I haven’t been in stroke in years and it’s possible I might never play that good again. However I have played at that level and I don’t believe I’ve ever played 700 speed for more than a a few short periods in my life. Not sustainable considering all factors. High or upper 600’s sounds spot on.

That’s how I see it,

Fatboy😃

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think "beating the ghost" means you play better than the ghost. Like you run out more than 50% of the time. The length of the race is irrelevant.

Normal ghost: free break, spot up if you scratched, take ball in hand on the 1 ball, lose if you don't run out

Pro ghost: same but no ball in hand after the break and scratches on the break lose

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think "beating the ghost" means you play better than the ghost. Like you run out more than 50% of the time. The length of the race is irrelevant.

Normal ghost: free break, spot up if you scratched, take ball in hand on the 1 ball, lose if you don't run out

Pro ghost: same but no ball in hand after the break and scratches on the break lose
never heard of 'pro ghost'. its always a set of some kind where i come from.