OMG, Enough about John Schmidt and record runs!

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Wow, that thread is over 300 pages long and continues to show up on the front page regularly.
A lot of cynical hate and threats in that thread! (As a former forum admin, the fact that that thread is still available is somewhat alarming tbh).
You folks really care too much about so little.
Focus on real accomplishments, the runs are trivial at best.
News flash: If ANY of the top 100 players in the world really put their mind and time to 14.1 runs, MANY would break 500-600 mark.
Jayson Shaw, for example, was tired of people "oooo-ing and awwww-ing" about "average pro" John Schmidt's life-long journey to finally beat Willie's record, so he spent a few weeks trying to beat it and showed it wasn't/isn't that big of deal to run 600+. (Jayson did it for attention too, lol).
But the rest of the pros, frankly, just don't care enough to do it. It's a waste of their time.
So you all need to quit bickering about it lol, you're comparing apples to oranges anyways-- different equipment and environments, etc.
And you keep making average pro player John Schmidt relevant. John who?
Again, try focusing on REAL pool accomplishments that the pro players themselves care about.
Do you really think a guy with a "Mr. 600" jacket intimidates Josh Filler or SVB lol?
Enough!

PS--- The world record for consecutive free throws made in basketball is 5,521 btw, made by an average person.
But you won't see the NBA's greatest-ever shooter, Steph Curry, wasting time trying to break that because, who cares lol. See my point?

Last edited:

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Wow, that thread is over 300 pages long and continues to show up on the front page regularly.
A lot of cynical hate and threats in that thread! (As a former forum admin, the fact that that thread is still available is somewhat alarming tbh).
You folks really care too much about so little.
Focus on real accomplishments, the runs are trivial at best.
News flash: If ANY of the top 100 players in the world really put their mind and time to 14.1 runs, MANY would break 500-600 mark.
Jayson Shaw, for example, was tired of people "oooo-ing and awwww-ing" about "average pro" John Schmidt's life-long journey to finally beat Willie's record, so he spent a few weeks trying to beat it and showed it wasn't/isn't that big of deal to run 600+. (Jayson did it for attention too, lol).
But the rest of the pros, frankly, just don't care enough to do it. It's a waste of their time.
So you all need to quit bickering about it lol, you're comparing apples to oranges anyways-- different equipment and environments, etc.
Again, try focusing on REAL pool accomplishments that the pro players themselves care about.
Do you really think a guy with a "Mr. 600" jacket intimidates Josh Filler or SVB lol?
Enough!

PS--- The world record for consecutive free throws made in basketball is 5,521 btw, made by an average person.
But you won't see the NBA's greatest-ever shooter, Steph Curry, wasting time trying to break that because, who cares lol. See my point?
No, I don't see your point.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
You're kidding, right?

Specifically, we're talking about the John Schmidt that has won titles in virtually every pool discipline. He won the US Open 9ball, the Derby City 1-pocket, the Super Billiards Expo 10-ball and the World 14.1 title. Awfully few have titles in all four disciplines.

Some like John and some don't, and there remains a few naysayers regarding his world record run. That said, only the uninformed will remember him as anything less than a very elite cueist.

The importance of the high run record can be debated, but Schmidt was a great player and I'm pleased I had the opportunity to watch him in his prime.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like I get the point 100%.

Also pool is a bit tragic. You can climb the rope to the top and ring the bell in many disciplines and not end up with a retirement. And once you no longer can ring the bell you are not going to stay in favor to the likes of the players that are currently ringing the bell. I’m impressed with John’s legacy but people were jumping straight from his non-transparent 626 to declaring him the best living straight pool player (if not of all time). Some eye rolling was warranted and Jayson’s transparent 714 absolutely proved what a current top 5 player could accomplish at that challenge with a fraction of the effort. Which I agree is a fun little sideshow but isn’t really worth dwelling on.

SEB

John is a hall of fame player…not an average pro. He won a US Open dude. A US OPEN. It’s the hardest tournament in the world. Go talk to most 800+ FargoRated players and they haven’t done that.

But on a serious note…yes, that thread needs to finally be shut down for good. The horse has been beaten to death long long long ago.

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason has the new record anyway so WHO CARES about John's previous record. How can people care so much about who finished second?

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
He won a US Open dude. A US OPEN.

From wikipedia:​

Titles and achievements​

Meh, he did ok for a few years, until better players from all over the world showed up.
For a US pro, I'd call his resume average at best.
He's a fargo 748 atm, sorry guys, that's the definition of an average pro.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
You're kidding, right?
Sorry Stu, I am not. He's a solid 750-ish player, but his accomplishments occurred during the non-competitive (generational talent transition) years of the early to mid 2000's.
Hell, Alaskan-stud and current fargorate 671, (now 40-yrs old) Richey Orem even WON the December 2006 Sands Regency that a young SVB was in lol.
Every dog has his day.
John is fine. Nothing special.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Oh,I forgot,this is the guy that could beat the pants off most of America with a house stick but even better with a 2 piece stick.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Now he, without any accomplishments of his own, is knocking a us open champ lol
Yeah major 🤡
One tournament win doesn't define a career.
Yes he won a US Open.
At age 33.
Not much else really before or after.
There are hundreds of much more accomplished US players over the past century.
He's an average pro.
Here's Corey Deuel's wiki page, for example:

Career titles​

• 2007 Super Billiards Expo Players Championship
  • 2008 Seminole Florida Pro Tour
  • 2008 Million Dollar Shootout
  • 2008 Seminole Florida Pro Tour
  • 2009 Mosconi Cup
  • 2009 Seminole Florida Pro Tour
  • 2010 Turning Stone Classic
  • 2010 Seminole Florida Pro Tour
  • 2013 U.S. Amateur Snooker Championship
  • 2013 Four Bears Classic 8-Ball
  • 2013 Derby City Classic One Pocket
  • 2014 US Bar Table 8-Ball Championship
  • 2014 Music City Classic
  • 2014 Chuck Markulis Memorial One Pocket
  • 2015 Smokin Aces Bar Box 9-Ball Open
  • 2015 Chinook Winds Open 8-Ball Open
  • 2017 ABN Dream Challenge Team USA vs. Russia
  • 2017 GT Jam
  • 2017 Four Bears Classic 8 ball
  • 2017 The Break Room's 8-Ball Classic
  • 2018 ABN Dream Challenge Team USA vs. Russia
  • 2018 Wyoming Open Triple Crown
  • 2018 High Dessert Shootout 8-Ball
  • 2018 Derby City Classic Bank Pool
  • 2018 Mosconi Cup
  • 2019 ABN Dream Challenge Team USA vs. Russia
  • 2021 Texas Open Banks Ring Game

And Rodney Morris:

Career titles[edit]​

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
John Schmidt is basically a one hit wonder who tried to stay relevant by trying for YEARS to break Mosconi's 14.1 record.
Nobody would even remember who he was without the years of his "Mr. XXX" gimmick bs.
His "Predator 626" cues crack me up. They came out AFTER Shaw destroyed Schmidt's unproven 626 run so easily.
Quit putting this average pro (Schmidt) on a pedestal, it's undeserving and way over-hyped.
I bet there's a dozens of pros that would play him 14.1 all day long straight up for big cash lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACL