Mosconi cup

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shot Styer missed was very reminiscent of the 5 ball Zielinski missed in the recent straight pool tournament. Easy to do when you’re trying to manufacture position with a firm stroke.
Exactly, especially on the soft rubber and current pocket dimensions.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Population to pick from:

Team Euro: 900M

Team USA: 330M

Make it even and expand Team USA to all of the Americas.

Then we could have some of the following talent to pick from just to name a few:

Alex Pagulayan
John Morra
Jesus Atencio

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might be European, but I don't care at all what team wins, I want to see great pool and in my opinion this was like watching paint dry. For the most part it felt boring, Skyler and Jayson showed some personality, the other players felt like robots, (let's just pass by Earl in silence..) No elegant play, for the most part just choppy poke the ball stuff. I can't see this beeing very exiting for others than the die hard pool folks.
Is this really the future of pool?
Pool is a fringe sport in the US.

Pro pool enthusiasts represent a very small part of the pool playing public anyways.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Also, when did Russia become part of Europe??

What other countries did Barry Hearn Annex for Team Europe?

something_pool

Registered
Oscar is a great player
Who are you getting to replace him? And Bergman and Dechaine aren't choices, nor is Thorpe who's in the penalty box still.
Oscar was a great player, but he has no chance against the top guns from Europe at this point in his career. I don't know if Billy Thorpe was still banned from this Mosconi cup due to the drug test issue, but if not, I would have put him in as a captain's pick. Chris Reinhold or Josh Roberts would have also been better picks. Joey Tate showed promise at the US Open, so even he would have given us a better shot, IMO.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I think all of Western Russia is in Europe. The whole thing used to be Eurasia
Russia is a transcontinental country, a state which is situated on more than one continent. Russia spans the northern part of the Eurasian continent; 77% of Russia's area is in Asia, the western 23% of the country is located in Europe.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oscar was a great player, but he has no chance against the top guns from Europe at this point in his career. I don't know if Billy Thorpe was still banned from this Mosconi cup due to the drug test issue, but if not, I would have put him in as a captain's pick. Chris Reinhold or Josh Roberts would have also been better picks. Joey Tate showed promise at the US Open, so even he would have given us a better shot, IMO.
I'd back Oscar vs any of those guys....even though on paper Billy is a favorite.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Population to pick from:

Team Euro: 900M

Team USA: 330M

Make it even and expand Team USA to all of the Americas.

Then we could have some of the following talent to pick from just to name a few:

Alex Pagulayan
John Morra
Jesus Atencio

Does no one agree or have an opinion regarding the significance of the disproportionate advantage of talent pool that Team Euro has?

Is this not something to talk about?

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I vote the Shuffet kid. Pull him out of retirement. Also we should make Poland a state. Europe isn't using them.

Time for a shakeup. I still enjoy watching every year, but half-expecting a loss, just hope for some good action and entertainment. Even including all Americas, could Morra, Pagulayan, and even someone like Rojas from Chile make enough difference for our side? I can't see it being much different.
Bring in the kids! Savannah Easton, she can probably handle the pressure. Then the EU will snag Riku Rompannen.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I would be curious, in Mosconi Cup history, how many matches have been won after trailing 4–0? I can’t recall any in recent years although I’m sure it has happened.
I have watched all of the Cup matches back through 2012. In those 11 years, no one has won from a 4-game deficit. And only 6 matches have been won from a 3-game deficit:

2022 -- Shaw defeated Strickland 5-3 after trailing 0-3​
2021 -- Alcaide/Kaçi d. Reinhold/Jones 5-4 from 1-4​
2019 -- Kaçi/Kazakis d. Woodward/Styer 5-4 from 1-4​
2019 -- Shaw/Feijen d. Bergman/Thorpe 5-4 from 0-3​
2013 -- Souquet d. Hatch 6-5 from 1-4​
2012 -- Archer/Shuff d. Melling/Van den Berg 5-4 from 0-3​

I watched many of the matches in 2010, including this one::
2010 -- Appleton d. Hatch 5-4 from 0-3.​

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have watched all of the Cup matches back through 2012. In those 11 years, no one has won from a 4-game deficit. And only 6 matches have been won from a 3-game deficit:

2022 -- Shaw defeated Strickland 5-3 after trailing 0-3​
2021 -- Alcaide d. Kaçi 5-4 from 1-4​
2019 -- Kaçi/Kazakis d. Woodward/Styer 5-4 from 1-4​
2019 -- Shaw/Feijen d. Bergman/Thorpe 5-4 from 0-3​
2013 -- Souquet d. Hatch 6-5 from 1-4​
2012 -- Archer/Shuff d. Melling/Van den Berg 5-4 from 0-3​

I watched many of the matches in 2010, including this one::
2010 -- Appleton d. Hatch 5-4 from 0-3.​
2021 Alcaide and Kaci were both on the same team?