Mosconi cup

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
also no point in questioning oscar as a pick since he wasn't picked, he qualified.
Well we are talking future teams, so that's why.

Like Jay said...only a couple do the events to qualify. I'd say with the state of US pool, they are making the right choice.

tomatoshooter

Jay, do you think "team pool" like mosconi cup or dare i say bonus ball is the way forward to get pool on tv. I think it's more exciting and watchable then the individual tournaments.
I've honestly never watched more than a tiny bit of Tournament before. I do watch a lot of individual matches but nobody I know watches them so it's not like I need to watch it live for the cultural importance or to avoid spoilers. I did watch every game of the Mosconi Cup this year and enjoyed it a lot, although it was also a lot of watching. 20 hours is a lot of pool to watch. I fell behind and just finished up this morning, if you are wondering why my comments all seem a day late.

I do think team pool like this has a certain entertainment factor that typical tournaments don't have. It makes all the matches count instead of sweating first round matches between two players certain to be eliminated later. If this was the typical bracket format like the US Open and others, I might have watched a couple of early round matches and then focused on the last couple of rounds. I think marketable form would need to be a one day 2-3 hour event for a broader viewing audience. It would be hard to pull off having multiple simultaneous games which would be necessary. I think an online viewing component would be important, although I'm not sure if a casual fan would take the initiative. If you view Formula 1 races online, you can select different cameras, live timing data, etc. NFL games online have also featured selectable camera angles.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is a fringe sport in the US.

Pro pool enthusiasts represent a very small part of the pool playing public anyways.
It might be a fringe sport in the US, but trust me, pool is in no way a big sport in Europe generally speaking. So I still think that if you look at poolplayers per capita, the US has more players, the avereage age might be going up, but that's the case in many European countries too.
I think the avereage age in last years national 9ball championship here in Norway was 44, recruitment is pretty bad, I know it's about the same in Sweden. Finland is doing a bit better. That's the European countries I know best.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about Bergman and Dechaine in for Earl and Dominguez next year? Just put our most talented players in the tournament.
Those boys won't play.
Bergman doesn't travel.
Dechaine sells windows or whatever, done with pro pool.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Bergman doesn't travel. ...
Well, he did in the past. He has been on Team USA 4 times, 2 of them in England and 2 in Las Vegas. I wonder whether Bergman's reluctance to travel these days grew out of Covid. If so, he might be more willing to travel in the future.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might be European, but I don't care at all what team wins, I want to see great pool and in my opinion this was like watching paint dry. For the most part it felt boring, Skyler and Jayson showed some personality, the other players felt like robots, (let's just pass by Earl in silence..) No elegant play, for the most part just choppy poke the ball stuff. I can't see this beeing very exiting for others than the die hard pool folks.
Is this really the future of pool?
I'm with you at the start - I'm European and cheer on my team but really don't care who wins if the action is good.

I enjoyed the pool and for me this was the most exciting Mosconi Cup in recent memory.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone has stats on the Captains win/loss records?
Here are the captains and their Cup records for the last 20 years. It looks like they may not have had captains before that. All were non-playing captains except those marked with a (P).

Team USA -- 6 wins, 13 losses, 1 tie
Jones (2020, 2022) -- 0-2​
Jones (P) (2021) -- 0-1​
Ruijsink (2017-2019) -- 2-1​
Wilson (2014-2016) -- 0-3​
Archer (P) (2004-2006, 2013) -- 2-1-1​
Wiley (2012) -- 0-1​
Williams (2011) -- 0-1​
Varner (2003, 2008-2010) -- 2-2​
Davenport (2007) -- 0-1​

Team Europe -- 13 wins, 6 losses, 1 tie
Lely (2008-2009, 2020-2022) -- 4-1​
Chamat (2015-2019) -- 3-2​
Ruijsink (2006-2007, 2010-2014) -- 6-0-1​
Immonen (P) (2005) -- 0-1​
Ortmann (P) (2004) -- 0-1​
Ortmann (2003) -- 0-1​
[Source for the early years, Wikipedia]

Last edited:

Badpenguin

Did that 6 skid or did Shane just dog it
I believe SVB lost that particular match because he still uses master chalk. I saw no other pros using it. He got a skid at the worst time possible. The chalk SVB uses left so much junk on the cue ball Shaw asked for it to be cleaned before the next shot. In such a short race, basically playing on a 9’ snooker table, you can’t afford errors caused by your own equipment.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe SVB lost that particular match because he still uses master chalk. I saw no other pros using it. He got a skid at the worst time possible. The chalk SVB uses left so much junk on the cue ball Shaw asked for it to be cleaned before the next shot. In such a short race, basically playing on a 9’ snooker table, you can’t afford errors caused by your own equipment.
What day was that? I’d like to find and watch the shot - thanks

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, he did in the past. He has been on Team USA 4 times, 2 of them in England and 2 in Las Vegas. I wonder whether Bergman's reluctance to travel these days grew out of Covid. If so, he might be more willing to travel in the future.
Dude was still wearing a mask when he broke and ran 19 racks a couple weeks back. He's one odd bird.

VVP

Registered
Here are the captains and their Cup records for the last 20 years. It looks like they may not have had captains before that. All were non-playing captains except those marked with a (P).

Team USA -- 6 wins, 13 losses, 1 tie
Jones (2020, 2022) -- 0-2​
Jones (P) (2021) -- 0-1​
Ruijsink (2017-2019) -- 2-1​
Wilson (2014-2016) -- 0-3​
Archer (P) (2004-2006, 2013) -- 2-1-1​
Wiley (2012) -- 0-1​
Williams (2011) -- 0-1​
Varner (2003, 2008-2010) -- 2-2​
Davenport (2007) -- 0-1​

Team Europe -- 13 wins, 6 losses, 1 tie
Lely (2008-2009, 2020-2022) -- 4-1​
Chamat (2015-2019) -- 3-2​
Ruijsink (2006-2007, 2010-2014) -- 6-0-1​
Immonen (P) (2005) -- 0-1​
Ortmann (p) (2004) -- 0-1​
Ortmann (2003) -- 0-1​
[Source for the early years, Wikipedia]
Thanks! Ruijsink is da man! He has some really interesting posts on Facebook about this Masconi cup. A captain of a team has to have much more than technical knowledge. He has to be a manager also with all the qualities needed for the job ... motivator, counselor, listener etc. Seems Ruijsink is that type of person.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
What day was that? I’d like to find and watch the shot - thanks
Last day - SVB vs Shaw. Thin cut on a 6. Arguably cost him the set.

It was “the skid angle” where it seemed like a heightened risk of skidding. Not sure what could have been done about it except the chalk or asking to clean the CB ahead of time.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes
Last day - SVB vs Shaw. Thin cut on a 6. Arguably cost him the set.

It was “the skid angle” where it seemed like a heightened risk of skidding. Not sure what could have been done about it except the chalk or asking to clean the CB ahead of time.
Yes, it was clearly a skid, which Allison confirmed. No way Shane ever misses a shot like that, that badly.