Fat guy stroke issue.

Sleeperls

Getting a constant half a tip off center on my stroke. Been trying things the past few days that I can't repeat. I've been doing corner drills doing stops. Some nights better than others.

If I take a ball and hit from rail to rail trying to hit the tip I'm consistently a inch to 2 inch to the right when ball comes back.

Id really like to get a decent consistent center stroke before really getting into spin.

Things I've tried. Grip, grip angle, bridge hand distance, stance. Looser grip. Tighter grip. Closed bridge. Open bridge. Opening stance more. Choking up on cue trying to make good 90 degree angle at aim.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Getting a constant half a tip off center on my stroke. Been trying things the past few days that I can't repeat. I've been doing corner drills doing stops. Some nights better than others.

If I take a ball and hit from rail to rail trying to hit the tip I'm consistently a inch to 2 inch to the right when ball comes back.

Id really like to get a decent consistent center stroke before really getting into spin.

Things I've tried. Grip, grip angle, bridge hand distance, stance. Looser grip. Tighter grip. Closed bridge. Open bridge. Opening stance more. Choking up on cue trying to make good 90 degree angle at aim.
You need a personal evaluation from a competent instructor
and
no disrespect intended
from your thread title
LOSE WEIGHT
you will live longer and have more years playing pool
i am not an instructor
jmho
icbw

Grimper

no disrespect intended
from your thread title
LOSE WEIGHT
you will live longer and have more years playing pool
Probably one of the most disrespectful posts I've ever read. People who have never faced weight problems should SHUT THE HELL UP about it.

It's like telling depressed people to "just smile more".

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I think opening your stance is on the right track. Robin Dreyer showed me how to get my fat belly out of the way by opening my stance but the mechanics of how to do it is what I needed.. Line up everything with your back foot on the shot line normally with your front foot where you would normally plant it and then take a little step forward and out with your front foot. At this point you will look like you have lost the shot line but when you bend at the waist and get down on the shot it will come right back into alignment because you haven't moved your back foot. But that little step outward pulls your belly out of the way nicely. If you aren't flexible in the hammies work on that because you will feel a little pull there. Good luck.

dquarasr

Registered
Disclaimer: Not an instructor. I struggled with this (still do once in a while but I've mostly got it under control).

Two possibilities: 1) You are stroking fine but your cue ball tip position is actually right of center. 2) You are stroking to the right.

1) Line up your shot to hit center ball. Very carefully lay your cue down on the table directly under your cue ball tip address position. Stand up and check that the tip is indeed exactly in the center. Some people line up where it looks perfect but with parallax vision, the tip is actually slightly right or left of center. If you're lined up correctly, check your stroke (2).

2) (I shoot right-handed.) I had a problem where I'd get unintended right spin no matter what I did. I checked my stroke by using the straight line between the cushions and the rails. Even at very slow speeds, my stroke was an "S" curve: I'd come forward and my tip would go right, then as I followed through, it would actually end up left of the perfectly straight line. WTF?!? Drove me crazy.

I discovered that my wrist was bent toward my body slightly, sorta like SVB (no, I was not doing this intentionally mimicking his style). My wrist felt natural at this angle, with just a slight inward bend. I had to work hard to make "thumb straight down" feel natural. At the beginning, feeling the weight of the cue on my pinkie finger helped.

I know you said you've checked grip angle. Not sure if either of these ideas can help you, but give it a shot. Also, try video recording yourself from various angles, front, side, and back. Phones are pretty convenient to do this. Caution: you may not like what you see. I sure as heck didn't. LOL.

Front and back views can help identify a "curvy" stroke or head/arm/shoulder/elbow alignment issues. Side view can help with elbow drop.

Best of luck.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably one of the most disrespectful posts I've ever read. People who have never faced weight problems should SHUT THE HELL UP about it.

It's like telling depressed people to "just smile more".
I lost 60 pounds when in my early 40’s
Went from 212 to 152
I am 69 now and maintain ever since in the 160’s
Obesity is a major health issue in the USA
Losing weight can add years to your life
And more enjoyable time by avoiding all the health issues that obesity is associated with
I understand it is difficult
But maybe that one time someone hears it
It motivates them to start losing weight

Zerksies

I think i can help on this one. I just started playing again after a few years break and I'm a lot bigger since the last time I've played. I had to relearn how to do things. I've had to twist my body a bit so that my stroke arm is not hitting me.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Discipline your eyes so they see the tip hit the cue ball exactly where you want to hit it. Look for a puff of chalk.

Sleeperls

I'm not fat by any means. 180 5 foot 7. I can be 165 and still have a gut its just my build. If I need to find a instructor to send videos too it might be the best idea.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not fat by any means. 180 5 foot 7. I can be 165 and still have a gut its just my build. If I need to find a instructor to send videos too it might be the best idea.
ideally you should find an instructor who can walk around you and view whats going on from the angles he wants
a trained eye should be able to"see" whats going on and make recommendations to correct it
good luck with your journey

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ideally you should find an instructor who can walk around you and view whats going on from the angles he wants
a trained eye should be able to"see" whats going on and make recommendations to correct it ...
I think this is especially true when working on body position. It is often trial and error.

Reactions: bbb

dquarasr

Registered
a trained eye should be able to"see" whats going on and make recommendations to correct it
good luck with your journey
Ayup. Self-diagnosis can take you only so far and is likely slower and can be more frustrating.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should make some videos and post them here. There are knowledgeable people here and sometimes there is an obvious reason.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looked at the closest instructor looks like 5 hours one way. I'm going to take some vids and load them on YouTube with multiple angles I'll post the links when I can
Roughly where do you live? Someone might know an independent instructor in your area.

If you make videos, but sure to have some from directly in front and directly behind -- along the line of the cue stick. Also, one directly from the side about even with your shoulder is useful.