Does the chalks affect the amount of spin?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, the center tends to get chalked anyway as collateral damage but I never chalk it explicitly. My chalk is shaped to the shape of the tip so there is pretty complete contact. My attention is all on the places a miscue might occur. It is very, very difficult to miscue on a centerball shot unless you do something quite strange.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
A much more common example these days is the "tip lift" safety which is, of course, an intentional miscue.
Not to mention not being used for the purpose or in the manner that was intended.

Could we get the swipe stroke banned? If they don’t miscue that doesn’t mean they weren’t trying to…

pj
chgo

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not to mention not being used for the purpose or in the manner that was intended.

Could we get the swipe stroke banned? If they don’t miscue that doesn’t mean they weren’t trying to…

pj
chgo

I think most rules define a legal stroke to be a forword motion of the cue. So a swipe from the bottom or side or whatever, without the tip moving forward (toward the cb), is typically not considered a legal stroke anyway.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think most rules define a legal stroke to be a forword motion of the cue. So a swipe from the bottom or side or whatever, without the tip moving forward (toward the cb), is typically not considered a legal stroke anyway.
Yeah, I was (jokingly) talking about the legal version.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
But at snooker an intentional miscue is permitted and used often by some players.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah... but the theory on that is that the first move upon contact is an immediate push forward with the cue then swiping across. The ongoing argument is that it's impossible because the ball leaves the tip immediately, so the swiping motion is after contact, anyway, thus meaningless.

I think what makes it potentially illegal is that it may be a push stroke with the tip staying on the cb longer than normal, due to the sidewards motion right after impact. If you're confused about it, try it with a beach ball or any kind of large ball. It's doable.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is the effect of doing this and why is it done?
At snooker you often have to barely hit a ball you are close to. Cushion contact is not required. Miscuing by lining up partly outside the cue ball sends it sideways softly.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ah... but the theory on that is that the first move upon contact is an immediate push forward with the cue then swiping across. The ongoing argument is that it's impossible because the ball leaves the tip immediately, so the swiping motion is after contact, anyway, thus meaningless.

I think what makes it potentially illegal is that it may be a push stroke with the tip staying on the cb longer than normal, due to the sidewards motion right after impact. If you're confused about it, try it with a beach ball or any kind of large ball. It's doable.

I was strictly referring to the type of shot where the player places the tip of the cue under the cb and simply raises the shaft up to brush the ball forward. That is not a forward stroke motion.

As far as twisting or swiping the cue across the cb during a forward motion stroke, I think it's a weird way to accomplish something that can be done with a normal stroke, unless of course the cb is trapped between the tip and the cushion or other balls. That would be an obvious foul - a push shot, where the contact time is manipulated due to the cb being trapped and forced by the tip.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was strictly referring to the type of shot where the player places the tip of the cue under the cb and simply raises the shaft up to brush the ball forward. That is not a forward stroke motion.

As far as twisting or swiping the cue across the cb during a forward motion stroke, I think it's a weird way to accomplish something that can be done with a normal stroke, unless of course the cb is trapped between the tip and the cushion or other balls. That would be an obvious foul - a push shot, where the contact time is manipulated due to the cb being trapped and forced by the tip.
I agree. I think it's a foul too. But before someone believes it's a foul, they'd have to believe that the tip stays on the ball longer, Not everyone is convinced, so it's not considered a foul (officially) to date. Players who do it today are usually of the older generation and do it by habit. The original reasoning behind it was to lessen cb squirt when applying sidespin. It did work. I played with those guys and I did it myself. They were all doing it, particularly the top 9 ball players in the 80s who were shooting big shots with lots of sidespin on slow cloths. Now we have LD shafts to address that.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The original reasoning behind it was to lessen cb squirt when applying sidespin. It did work.
It “worked” by changing the angle of attack to compensate for (not lessen) CB squirt, like using the same angle of attack with a straight stroke (but with less control).

Pretty sure it didn’t make contact longer.

Both of these are easy to test with no special equipment.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Considering price, effectiveness, and all available chalks, is Taom a 'good buy'?
I like the Taom very much- ofc it s expensive-no question. But just the fact, that the cloth is sooooo clean even under a very long draw shot practice session..... it s the price worth :p holds very well- and i like the taom chalk.

But: i also use the oldschooled chalk as well- and i don t really miscue because of it :) / with my choice of chalk i just keep clean fingers and the cloth as well :)