Derby City Prize Fund

DragosLucian

Hello,
I am tryin to organize a tournament DCC style and I don't know how to split the prize found.
Can you please explain how they split the money in DCC?
Thanks!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,
I am tryin to organize a tournament DCC style and I don't know how to split the prize found.
Can you please explain how they split the money in DCC?
Thanks!
You've only made 5 posts in 9years?? Still in the 'new member' status. why so few posts? just curious.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool. I think the OP is looking for the percentages. I looked at the 9ball and Gorst got roughly 16% if i read it right. PF was around 100k and he got 16g's.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't know what to reply... I guess I was more active on FB and had a 3 year pause in playing pool.
You need to contact Jay Helfert directly. He promoted/ran big events for years and would know how you need to whack the money up. He's here on AZ, just click his name and open a Conversation.

DragosLucian

I need some kind of system that works with percentage so I can make it public before the tournament starts.
My problem is that I can't determine if a player is 3-rd place or 4-th place and so on.

Lets assume round 10 is the last one:
* [round 10] is between 2 players, that is certain, so I can determine first and second prize, no problem here.
* [round 9] could be 3 or 4 players
* [round 8] could be 5 or 8 players (in case there are 4 and all make a rebuy, no one is out and I can ignore the round)
* [round 7] could be 6 or 16 players

I can't really specify that the last X players "alive" should get the money... Maybe I should split the money by rounds...

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need some kind of system that works with percentage so I can make it public before the tournament starts.
My problem is that I can't determine if a player is 3-rd place or 4-th place and so on.

Lets assume round 10 is the last one:
* [round 10] is between 2 players, that is certain, so I can determine first and second prize, no problem here.
* [round 9] could be 3 or 4 players
* [round 8] could be 5 or 8 players (in case there are 4 and all make a rebuy, no one is out and I can ignore the round)
* [round 7] could be 6 or 16 players

I can't really specify that the last X players "alive" should get the money... Maybe I should split the money by rounds...
Did you look at those links i posted? The one on pool4u has a pretty good breakdown. I don't get what you're saying here.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A DCC-like tournament is hard because of the unknowns you pointed out.

Splitting the money by rounds is no good because you might only have one person eliminated in that round.

Assign prizes by percentages tapered down for the number of players you want to pay. Say it is 15 out of maybe 60 players. The taper might look like this with the total adding to 100:

6 T
5 T
5 T
4 T

List the finishers in order by the prizes. Don't worry about the order for tied players. Group the ties together. For example, you might have a tied group next to 6-5-5-4 marked T. Add up those prizes and get 20. Divide by 4 to get 5% each.

The taper doesn't have to add to 100 to start with. You can just divide all the numbers by the total and multiply by 100 to get the right percentages. If you know how to use a spreadsheet like excel, this is easy.

An automatic way to design the taper is to give 100/N to the player in position N down as far as you want and then correct to percentages to get 100% as above. Doing that with the above gives something like this for 15 players:

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Splitting the money by rounds is no good because you might only have one person eliminated in that round.

Assign prizes by percentages tapered down for the number of players you want to pay. Say it is 15 out of maybe 60 players. The taper might look like with the total adding to 100:

6 T
5 T
5 T
4 T

List the finishers in order by the prizes. Don't worry about the order for tied players. Group the ties together. For example, you might have a tied group next to 6-5-5-4 marked T. Add up those prizes and get 20. Divide by 4 to get 5% each.
Bob this may sound dumb so go easy on me;) How would the %'s change with changing field sizes? Say a 32-64 man field vs. a big one(100+)? Thanx

DragosLucian

Assign prizes by percentages tapered down for the number of players you want to pay. Say it is 15 out of maybe 60 players. The taper might look like with the total adding to 100:

6 T
5 T
5 T
4 T

Thank you, this is the answer I was looking for. Not all heroes wear capes!

There is only one issue to solve:
- let's assume round 7 we have 12 players left, 5 are eliminated and I am left with 7 players.
- there are 3 * 2% which needs to be redistributed as there are only 7 players left and there is no 10-th, 9-th, and 8-th, how do I do that?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you, this is the answer I was looking for. Not all heroes wear capes!

There is only one issue to solve:
- let's assume round 7 we have 12 players left, 5 are eliminated and I am left with 7 players.
- there are 3 * 2% which needs to be redistributed as there are only 7 players left and there is no 10-th, 9-th, and 8-th, how do I do that?
If five players are eliminated into positions 8-12, you pay each of them the average for those positions. Think of just assigning them to the positions randomly, paying them (unfairly) for those positions, and them make them put the money back in a pot and dividing it equally.

In the particular case of 8-12 you have 4+4+4+3+2 in that five-player pot for a total of 17%.. Divide by 5 to get 3.4% each.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did, thanks a lot.
I will use them to establish the percentages, now I need to figure the algorithm out.
not that complicated, well, maybe it is. ;) keep it simple. Don't worry about rounds, just pay whoever's left when the smoke clears.

Last edited: