Am I the only one...

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
...that got tired of hearing the WC 10-ball commentators mentioning the fact that if FSR won this event then he would be the first in history to have done it? I mean, it seems like they would mention it every third of fourth rack (of FSR's matches) to the point where I thought they were biased towards wanting him to win the tournament. IMHO, FSR shot about as bad as I've seem him play in recent years, especially in his last two matches. He only beat Fedor because Gorst got some of the worst rolls I've seen in a long time. Fedor played better.

I'm wondering if all of the "win all three world championship disciplines in one year" pressure may have gotten into his head a bit???

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SVB win all three one year (although one championship was on bar tables)??? And yes, I'm aware that those wins were NOT designated as World Championship tournaments.

What the hell does World Championship mean anyways? It's just two words strung together. The same players (for the most part) were in the U.S.Open and will be at the 10-ball tourney in Wisconsin next month.

To me, a tournament is a tournament. Putting the title of World Championship in the description changes nothing about the formats or competitors. One is just as difficult to win as the other.

Again, just the opinions of an aging, grumpy old man!

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...that got tired of hearing the WC 10-ball commentators mentioning the fact that if FSR won this event then he would be the first in history to have done it? I mean, it seems like they would mention it every third of fourth rack (of FSR's matches) to the point where I thought they were biased towards wanting him to win the tournament. IMHO, FSR shot about as bad as I've seem him play in recent years, especially in his last two matches. He only beat Fedor because Gorst got some of the worst rolls I've seen in a long time. Fedor played better.

I'm wondering if all of the "win all three world championship disciplines in one year" pressure may have gotten into his head a bit???
Did you catch the part where Lehman was asked to clean the ball and the camera zoomsin tight and shows him moving the ball a couple ticks from where it stopped? Gorst then took the table length shot and undercut the ball by about the same amount Lehman moved it off line.
Now I know there's no credible cause and effect but it happened.

I just realized it mighta been Chang not Gorst. I forget now.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its just something interesting to talk about.

That said, only since 2022 has there even been an opportunity to win 3 in one calendar year, or hold 3 simultaneously (across 2 calendar years). Its like in straight pool, 125 was the high run for decades because that's all that matches were played to.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip...

What the hell does World Championship mean anyways? It's just two words strung together. The same players (for the most part) were in the U.S.Open and will be at the 10-ball tourney in Wisconsin next month.

To me, a tournament is a tournament. Putting the title of World Championship in the description changes nothing about the formats or competitors. One is just as difficult to win as the other.
...snip...
It's supposed to mean the best players from each federation and each country are in the tournament. Sure, there could be a non-sanctioned event with similar players, but it's not common. While a WPA world championship always has the elite players very well represented, from all over the world.

Before that, we had a "back pocket 9 ball world championship", played mostly with Philadelphia players, where the game was strongest.

skiergd011013

Did you catch the part where Lehman was asked to clean the ball and the camera zoomsin tight and shows him moving the ball a couple ticks from where it stopped? Gorst then took the table length shot and undercut the ball by about the same amount Lehman moved it off line.
Now I know there's no credible cause and effect but it happened.

I just realized it mighta been Chang not Gorst. I forget now.
how, when that little marker tool is used?

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There was a bug going around all week here in Vegas and both Alcaide and FSR caught it. I think that was why he seemed a little off this week not because of the pressure.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Commentators should be told ahead of time, no nuthugging. Never heard Jeremy Jones or Billy Incardona do it, but be prepared to mute if you watch anything from NYC or Turning Stone.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i don't think the commentators had any effect. it was a nice win by kaci, but the fact that FSR made it to the final of all three WC:s and won two of them is still totally crazy. plus the US open, world cup, etc. a really wild run.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For me this complaint is a "meh".

You have to realize the die hard pool fans will be watching regardless and those closer to the fringes are the real target audience to build their brand. Those people might not know the storyline, and they probably haven't been watching every step of the way as diligently as you. I don't blame them for building up a compelling narrative especially with someone as rootable as FSR.

Also, I don't entirely agree with you on the FSR/Gorst match. I'd say Fedor got the worst of the rolls and therefore would win if the breaks balanced out, but regardless the separation between them is small.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

One thing to keep in mind about commentating, not everyone may be watching the match from the start to repeating some things may be helpful to those that tuned in later. It's like when they explain what a push out is or some other fairly basic rule since the audience may not all be familiar with the game.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Meh whatever... ...but I did recently hear that John Morra used to play right handed... who knew...?