Anyone see the format for this year's SBE pro event?

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to the website, it'll be the best of NINE sets, with each set being a race-to-5. Single elimination and alternate break as well.

That seems like a typo and it should say "Races to 5 // First to Win 5 Games". However, a single race to 5 seems too short so maybe that's not correct either. I believe they raced to 9 or 11 in the past.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Where do you see 9 sets? Website says 1st to win 5 sets with each set a race to 5.
Format has changed. Last year I believe it was a race to 9.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where do you see 9 sets? Website says 1st to win 5 sets with each set a race to 5.
Format has changed. Last year I believe it was a race to 9.

Best of 9 is race to 5 :)

That is still a very odd format, race to 5 sets? That seems like a way convoluted thing and potentially a very long match. That's similar to a race to 25 in games played. Just make it a race to 11 or 13 and done. They probably are doing multiple sets to counter the fact it's single elimination. I'd make it best of 3 sets, race to 7.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Best of 9 is race to 5 :)

That is still a very odd format, race to 5 sets? That seems like a way convoluted thing and potentially a very long match. That's similar to a race to 25 in games played. Just make it a race to 11 or 13 and done.
It kind of is an indirect race-to-25.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It kind of is an indirect race-to-25.
A race to 25 takes at most 49 games and maybe an average of 40 games

A race to 5 of races to 5--if that is what we're talking about here-- is far longer. It takes at most 81 games and maybe an average of 65 games. I think it would take a similar time as a straight race to 35 or 40.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A race to 25 takes at most 49 games and maybe an average of 40 games

A race to 5 of races to 5--if that is what we're talking about here-- is far longer. It takes at most 81 games and maybe an average of 65 games. I think it would take a similar time as a straight race to 35 or 40.

Hm, you know what, I did the math in my posts assuming the winner won all 5 sets, oops. Makes the 5 set race to 5 be even odder with that many more games being played.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like it was NOT a typo. And "me" reading between the lines, looks like no one was signing up.

1678604676362.png

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah my friend who travels to play in the a lot of the pro events is sitting this one out since they went to single elimination.
Honestly I’m not sure what’s wrong with good old double elimination .. all though it’s never been true double elimination as they play a single long race in the finals. Which honestly I hate. This doesn’t reward the player for going undefeated through the event at all.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No mention of a carom event.

Anybody know if that is not appearing this year?
The carom event didn't happen last year either and unless Predator does an event, it won't be coming back. That event was mainly to help professor cue ball sell his magazine. Now that is has retired from doing the magazine, the carom event is not happening.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The carom event didn't happen last year either and unless Predator does an event, it won't be coming back. That event was mainly to help professor cue ball sell his magazine. Now that is has retired from doing the magazine, the carom event is not happening.
Understood, thanks.