Sailor Holy Grail?

rodcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any info. on this cue much appreciated. Thinking it is a Burton Spain Ebony nose cue with four veneers. 59" cue with two shafts that have slight taper roll. Cue plays terrific. Weight is between 18.5 and 19 depending on the shaft. No obvious dings. Any discussion welcome about the parties involved, Spain/ Stellman, and approximate value in today's market would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_4236.JPG
    IMG_4236.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_4239.JPG
    IMG_4239.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_4242.JPG
    IMG_4242.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_4246.JPG
    IMG_4246.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_4247.JPG
    IMG_4247.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 276

R2PQZ

Any info. on this cue much appreciated. Thinking it is a Burton Spain Ebony nose cue with four veneers. 59" cue with two shafts that have slight taper roll. Cue plays terrific. Weight is between 18.5 and 19 depending on the shaft. No obvious dings. Any discussion welcome about the parties involved, Spain/ Stellman, and approximate value in today's market would be helpful.
This cue is gorgeous. A ton of time and effort went into this creation. I have no idea of value, but I do thank you for showing this classic.

rodcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few more pictures. Thin handle, and excellent balance.

Attachments

• IMG_20230308_110609~2.jpg
    IMG_20230308_110609~2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20230308_110321~3.jpg
    IMG_20230308_110321~3.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20230308_110010~2.jpg
    IMG_20230308_110010~2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20230308_110355~2.jpg
    IMG_20230308_110355~2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 118

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what's wrong with the butt-sleeve? looks like chocolate milk. finish just haze over time? very cool cue.

R2PQZ

Googled Frank Stellman. Died 2017 at 90. Lots of info. 3rd edition Blue Book puts the cue at $850 minimum. That is almost 20 years ago. Highest price probably achieved in Racine Wisconson. I started playing in 1971 and have only seen one Sailor in person.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Took a lesson from Frank at his shop in Racine and I have to say it was time and money well spent. He did not say a word for two hours, he just watched me shoot and run balls by myself. Suddenly he coughed and in his grumbling old school voice he said,” you ought to shoot with a 59 inch cue, lessons over!” What a guy!!

Later at the buffet in Racine his son came and picked him up and I headed home ..

I can say his comment about ‘ no nonchalanting at the table spoke volumes to his seriousness about playing pool to win.

In his early days of cue making the cues were 56 and 57 inches it was later in his career that he switched to 58 and 59 inch cues. Most of his cues are quite plain as he saw no need for decorations on a cue. He also was not pleased at all that his flared butt was copied by other cue makers. I guess he considered it his design whether it was or not.

Given all that this is the most inlaid Sailor I have ever seen and may be the most decorative cue of his career.

His cues were and are a lot like him, no nonsense tools from a no nonsense old school straight pool player . He ran over 200 balls numerous times from the stories I heard while living there..

RIP Frank!! With my utmost respect…

rodcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great story, Thanks. Love the way this cue plays. If a Spain ebony forearm it should add some value. Handle is thin which I really like. Both shafts play great.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful sailor. One of my 3 sailors is a Spain blank, maple forearm. The veneer colors are almost identical to yours.

“The Shrew.” I like how he sometimes put a name on the shafts of who he built them for.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Allegedly, one of the last cues Frank built, a rare 60 inch, he sold to a acquaintance of mine who picked it up in person At his home. I don’t know him well but everybody ive ever met would vouch for him and I have a pretty good B.S. meter. He wanted a Sailor because He had another of his cues that exploded on him. He claimed he couldn’t couldn’t lose with That cue until it was in pieces. I’m sure the story is embellished to some point, but anyway. While in his shop picking up the cue, “Sailor“ told him “hell, I can build a cue with a broomstick for a core and sell it and I’ve done it several times among other things.” I’m sure someone else can corroborate this story. I’ve heard of other second hand similar stories. Otherwise maybe He was just fishing or messing with people.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A cue like this is really destined for the collector circuit. The actual market for serious money on this cue has lessened, but not totally disappeared. There may be a handful of collectors who would fight each other in an auction setting for this cue- but not a room full for sure.

As a unique Sailor Stellman cue- either risk a general auction or ask for offers with a $1500 to $2,000 asking price and see what happens- this assumes selling it with a question as to whether it is a Spain forearm. IF you have verifiable proof that this is a Stellman/Spain cue - perhaps bump up asking price to $2500 and see what happens. Just my opinion.