Matchroom Pool will have 30 ranking events in 2023

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody know why these Eurotour events are missing from the schedule at https://matchroompool.com/schedule/?

1676747828228.png

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This press release just arrived. More ranking events....

NINEBALL WORLD TOUR EXPANDS WITH LAUNCH IN OCEANIA

• Nineball Oceania Tour launches in partnership with Australia's Pockets Sports
  • Minimum of four ranking events for 2023
  • Aim for Oceania Open to take place in 2024 joining other Matchroom major multi-table events
Matchroom Pool is delighted to announce the beginning of the Nineball Oceania Tour in partnership with Pockets Sports promising at least four Nineball World Ranking events for players in the Oceania region in 2023 and the first-ever Oceania Open in 2024.

The launch of the tour underlines Matchroom's commitment to offering a fair and transparent system for all players wherever they are in the world to earn vital Nineball World Ranking points which opens the doors to the most-valued tournaments in the sport.

Pocket Sports is Oceania's largest professional English 8 Ball Pool Promoter looking to venture into 9 Ball. The company hosts over 18 weekends of competitive and professional grade 8 ball and have over 160 contracted players, featuring players from all over Oceania.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MR is certainly following through. A worldwide expansion. I’ve never seen anything like it in the pool world.

Reactions: ACL

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
MR is certainly following through. A worldwide expansion. I’ve never seen anything like it in the pool world.
This is groundbreaking. An Asian tour and now an Oceania Tour. Wow! Matchroom has put together the first truly global tour in pool history and by making Matchroom ranking points available all over the globe, they are enabling players from all over the world to qualify for the most prestigious Matchroom events.

It's a good time to be a young talented pool player. The future looks bright. Thank you Matchroom.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Finals of one of the ranking events is being played right now. Unfortunately, it is yet another event where the last matches have run into the wee hours of the next morning. It is the McDermott Classic, being played at Amazin Billiards just north of Boston. It's Woodward vs. Thorpe in the final match for the title.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty cool, but how many of those are events that would have been held no matter what and were just added to the ranking list and how many were new events that would not have been done previously?

I also think they should have some sort of Europe vs US vs Asia provision for players for point accumulation due to prohibitive travel costs for anyone out of the top 20. Anyone playing outside of their area gets reduced points (to keep the advantage smaller). So if a Euro player plays in the US, they get 50% of available points they would get if they played in Europe, since the sport has funding issues for players to travel if they don't have many sponsors. Otherwise the top players have an even bigger advantage in accumulating points than finishing higher and it ends up being like a tax on the poor.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Finals of one of the ranking events is being played right now. Unfortunately, it is yet another event where the last matches have run into the wee hours of the next morning. It is the McDermott Classic, being played at Amazin Billiards just north of Boston. It's Woodward vs. Thorpe in the final match for the title.

Without a large number of tables to play at, and a day or two limit, no way around the time it takes to get through a field. This has kept me from entering a good number of local events. A couple of things I refuse to get sucked into doing now, places with different table setups (6 slow tables, 4 fast tables, 3 tables with tight pockets you get to swap between playing at during the day) and places with lack of tables for the expected entries. As much as I enjoy playing, I am not going to waste my day sitting for 4+ hours between my first and second match.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't think for a minute Matchroom is some benevolent organization, looking to save pool. They are looking to sanction pool and be the dominant broadcaster....to make money.

I expect there will be negative outcomes. Some foreseen, some not. We will see how this plays out over the next few years.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless he rents out a convention space, It's nothing but a nineball event just like the one he held in his room when it first opened. There is not going to be anything special about it.

As for this announcement, I do not know if this will make more players come out of the woodwork to want to pursue pool as a career, but at least it's a start.
People from other countries primarily, as we have already seen. Our pool of top talent is well under 20 guys.

telinoz

Registered
Don't think for a minute Matchroom is some benevolent organization, looking to save pool. They are looking to sanction pool and be the dominant broadcaster....to make money.

I expect there will be negative outcomes. Some foreseen, some not. We will see how this plays out over the next few years.
If you want to see into the future for pool and how this plays out.
Look no further than history.
Snooker.
Matchroom worked with the WPBSA.
The split between governance and commercial has worked out just fine.

One set of rules, standard table specs and balls.

If that model and path is followed, future looks fine to me for Pool.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to see into the future for pool and how this plays out.
Look no further than history.
Snooker.
Matchroom worked with the WPBSA.
The split between governance and commercial has worked out just fine.

One set of rules, standard table specs and balls.

If that model and path is followed, future looks fine to me for Pool.
Well they pretty much stole American pool....which was in the dumpster.

I'm afraid the bar for players has been raised so high that we don't have more than 2 Americans left who could ever win a Matchroom event. So I don't know if that's going to make more American pros or less over time.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Just announced....

The 2023 Nineball World Ranking schedule is provisionally set and will feature a minimum of 30 ranking events globally including 12 events from Matchroom in ground-breaking news that sees the largest calendar of Nineball events with the aim to keep growing. Ranking events will take place in all four corners of the world thanks to new and existing partnerships as Matchroom Pool continues to offer a transparent, ambitious, and unified plan for Nineball players.

See Full Schedule Here

2023 will begin with back-to-back events in the USA with the Turning Stone Classic XXXIV (January 5-8) in Verona, NY followed up by the Diamond Derby City Classic Nineball Division (25-28 January) in Indiana ahead of the first blue ribbon event on the schedule from Matchroom. The World Pool Championship 2023 is set to take place in Kielce, Poland from February 1-5 as the best 128 players on the Nineball World Rankings go toe-to-toe for a slice of the $325,000 prize fund and the chance to become champion of the world.
We are lucky to have a team as visionary as Matchroom. They are so very good for pool.

telinoz

Registered
Well they pretty much stole American pool....which was in the dumpster.

I'm afraid the bar for players has been raised so high that we don't have more than 2 Americans left who could ever win a Matchroom event. So I don't know if that's going to make more American pros or less over time.
I honestly have zero sympathy for American pool players now.
Globally, most amount of league players, venues, pool is everywhere.
Decades to work on development programs.
BCA not done much.

The fact other countries have flown past the USA now, and where they are based and therefore where most tournaments are is a product of American complancy and laziness.

If more effort is made, good.
If not, USA will stay as a has been force in pool.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Love everything about it except that is based on the simple game of "9-ball".
Boring af to watch at the pro level. Hell, I'd even rather watch 8-ball-- more obstacles to overcome.
But, "yay" to the promotion of pro pool at least!

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly have zero sympathy for American pool players now.
Globally, most amount of league players, venues, pool is everywhere.
Decades to work on development programs.
BCA not done much.

The fact other countries have flown past the USA now, and where they are based and therefore where most tournaments are is a product of American complancy and laziness.

If more effort is made, good.
If not, USA will stay as a has been force in pool.
All fine and good but fine AND good is gonna get expensive.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love everything about it except that is based on the simple game of "9-ball".
Boring af to watch at the pro level. Hell, I'd even rather watch 8-ball-- more obstacles to overcome.
But, "yay" to the promotion of pro pool at least!

i have reconciled with the fact that straight pool and one pocket never will be included in any of the two emerging pool tours. the positives is that they have gone to lengths to make 9/10-ball more challenging so that it includes more moving

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty cool, but how many of those are events that would have been held no matter what and were just added to the ranking list and how many were new events that would not have been done previously?

I also think they should have some sort of Europe vs US vs Asia provision for players for point accumulation due to prohibitive travel costs for anyone out of the top 20. Anyone playing outside of their area gets reduced points (to keep the advantage smaller). So if a Euro player plays in the US, they get 50% of available points they would get if they played in Europe, since the sport has funding issues for players to travel if they don't have many sponsors. Otherwise the top players have an even bigger advantage in accumulating points than finishing higher and it ends up being like a tax on the poor.

interesting take. getting ranking points is what's getting you to the invitationals, having sponsor exposure, etc. if those invitationals were only mosconi cup and world cup of pool, it wouldn't matter point-wise if euro or asian players won these US based minor ranking events, because players in those invitationals are choosed from american players standings. but there may be a problem here, as you write, with top players potentially robbing "local" MR ranking events. maybe they should be closed for non-nationals?