Pool Room Customers That Return Tray of Pool Balls in Sequence - Why?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m an animal….my first pool game was rotation…so even at one pocket, the 1-ball goes in front.

I make it a point to not use the 1 as the apex ball in 8-ball. We want even wear on the balls so they are more evenly matched for collision physics. Since the 1 gets the heck beat out of it in breaking 9 ball and 10 ball, we can at least keep that wear spread by using any other number as the front ball in 8 ball. There is no rule about the 1 being in front for many games, so may as well be nice to it whenever we can. 1 ball lives matter.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I make it a point to not use the 1 as the apex ball in 8-ball. We want even wear on the balls so they are more evenly matched for collision physics. Since the 1 gets the heck beat out of it in breaking 9 ball and 10 ball, we can at least keep that wear spread by using any other number as the front ball in 8 ball. There is no rule about the 1 being in front for many games, so may as well be nice to it whenever we can. 1 ball lives matter.
Good point

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably leave the balls at the table.
Screenshot_20230501_151917_Facebook.jpg

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I met a guy that could arrange a billiard ball set into an approximation of pi, in under 5 seconds.

Any one looking for action on the approximation with least error using a single billiard ball set to represent the digits of pi?

ChatGPT has a less than ideal response.

ChatGPT fails: express pi using numbers 1-15

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Slight hi jack but…
I had to register for selective service at 18. Had to take a test. One of the questions was how many balls are in a rack of pool. I guess that does not count the tray. I should have challenged the question.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it’s something that people sometimes do while waiting for the person they’re with to come back from the bathroom before leaving.

tomatoshooter

I met a guy that could arrange a billiard ball set into an approximation of pi, in under 5 seconds.

Any one looking for action on the approximation with least error using a single billiard ball set to represent the digits of pi?

ChatGPT has a less than ideal response.

ChatGPT fails: express pi using numbers 1-15
3. 14 15 6 5 (4)
The 4 should be ...358... so you have to round off at the 7th digit. Still quite accurate.

tomatoshooter

Slight hi jack but…
I had to register for selective service at 18. Had to take a test. One of the questions was how many balls are in a rack of pool. I guess that does not count the tray. I should have challenged the question.
That's a trick question if I ever saw one. If you are counting racks in straight pool, it's 14. If you run a rack of 8 ball you sink 8, unless you got one of the other group on the break. Plus 7, 9, and 10 ball.... I guess the rack is commonly understood to only be the object balls,
I like to use a stripe and angle it to make it harder for my opponent to focus on center ball.

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
That's a trick question if I ever saw one. If you are counting racks in straight pool, it's 14. If you run a rack of 8 ball you sink 8, unless you got one of the other group on the break. Plus 7, 9, and 10 ball.... I guess the rack is commonly understood to only be the object balls,
wow...great point(s). There were goofier questions but I want to stay on track.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
What sucks is when I point out those other possible answers, people look at me like I've got two heads.
Here ya go. The thing with 2 heads. Remember this flick?

Attachments

• B2E0FA29-E5E0-4F75-9A80-5C789859F27C.jpeg
    B2E0FA29-E5E0-4F75-9A80-5C789859F27C.jpeg
    6.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Slight hi jack but…

A friend decided to join up. He took the preliminary tests and they said they would train him in electronics, what he wanted. Three weeks later he is back home. I asked him what happened. That was in the time period where they would give you a contract. He had taken some more tests and failed math miserably! The told him he could be a cook or a baker. He waved his contract around and was home a few days later.

I knew how unsuited he was to taking orders, an issue I was well familiar with! I also knew that he was currently getting his instrumental pilots license to fly. I looked at him, "Changed your mind about three years of taking orders, didja?" He tried to blow smoke but finally had to admit that he wasn't up to somebody ordering him around morning to night.

Hu

tomatoshooter

he wasn't up to somebody ordering him around morning to night.
Neither am I. I like shooting guns and blowing stuff up. I'd prefer not to get shot at, but I didn't like that spreadsheet I worked on today either. But yeah, getting ordered around all the time...that would either break my will or I'd blow a fuse.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One last question on this: why do some people return the balls with chalk cubes nestled down between them? Do they think they'll have to pay more if they don't? Do some rooms hand-out the balls like this? Inquiring minds gotta know. ;)
I put the chalk cubes under my balls nestled between my balls and my Jockeys and walk slowly out of the establishment.