New player, cue advice needed

klikr

How about this one? Looks like a pretty good deal to me, and fine quality also:
Price is $335 packaged/shipped & Insured, if you pick up $300

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Started with my first league with a friend and I’m now hooked but I was borrowing his Dufferin 19oz and I need something of my own now. I like the weight, tried a Lucasi 19oz Rival series LHRV and I liked the rubberized grip but it has a more slender low deflection tip which I’m unsure about. Wondering if there are other starter cue recommendations and if the rubber grip will hold up over time compared to no grip or linen wrap etc. budget limit around 1K but would like to leave some room to get a break cue as well.

Thanks,
D
You had the answer in the 19 Oz Dufferin. A great starter cue. Inexpensive and good Canadian maple. I have used them as a travel cue. A consistent hit and feeling without risking my Joss to the baggage handlers.

Renegade4006

I recently got back into playing. I wanted a new cue and a local shop steered me towards Cuetec. I chose a Cuetec Avid Abyss. I also purchased a J Flowers Saber 2 with black lizard wrap so I could try a carbon fiber shaft. I go back and forth between the two but the J Flowers is showing itself to be my favorite.

I also started using a glove. No name brand purchased off of Ebay for under $10 for a 10-pack.

I'm having a lot of fun and learning a lot for not much of a cash outlay.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
So long as he can afford it, why shouldn't OP buy a good cue as his first cue? My first three cues were all cheap, but only because I could not afford better ones. Part of my thinking is that, if he fell out of love with pool, OP could always get his money back out of a Cog PJ, but the same would not true for "starter" cues which I figure all depreciate 25 to 50 percent.

If a person decides to arm himself, should he buy an Astra .25 because he is a newb or step up into a real world Sig .40, assuming finances are not a problem?

JPB2

So long as he can afford it, why shouldn't OP buy a good cue as his first cue? My first three cues were all cheap, but only because I could not afford better ones. Part of my thinking is that, if he fell out of love with pool, OP could always get his money back out of a Cog PJ, but the same would not true for "starter" cues which I figure all depreciate 25 to 50 percent.

If a person decides to arm himself, should he buy an Astra .25 because he is a newb or step up into a real world Sig .40, assuming finances are not a problem?
Good post, but I tend to disagree. Your post brings up good things to think about. Let’s talk guns first since I think that is a really good example of the considerations here. Should anyone buy a .25? Basically no. Caliber not enough. Even .32 way better. .22 way cheaper ammo and probably more effective in any scenario. Should somebody new to guns spend more for a better quality pistol in a different caliber? Yes. Should somebody new to guns buy a Wilson Combat .45? No, probably not. So what are the considerations? Safety in operation and function are more important in guns than pool cues. But the build quality affects that in a pistol and likewise a pool cue should be well made. Having something of good quality the person can practice with is important. Having a caliber that is available is important.

What would it take the new guy to own to make it through a 2-3 day training class? Quality reliable pistol with at least 3 mags, good holster, plenty of ammo, eye and ear protection, range bag. So now a Glock/CZ/M&P in 9mm looks like a good option. Have you seen the guy with an expensive custom 1911 and a non functional $15 holster at a class or on the range? We all probably have. So I am thinking along those lines when it comes to cues. Function and affordability for the whole package.

Then there is quality vs personal preference. Is Glock a good pistol? Yes. Is it everybody’s favorite? No. Will the custom .45 be “better”. Some are great. Other high end .45s aren’t reliable. So the Glock is actually better than some of the 1911s that jam all the time. (I know yours won’t but there are plenty of examples of expensive stuff that doesn’t run). The cuetec Avid is good quality. Pros play with them. Yeah, they are sponsored but the cue plays well enough it won’t hurt the pro and surely won’t hold back the new guy. Other cues certainly fall in this category. So a good production cue that the new cue buyer can afford easily and afford the accessories makes more sense than buying something higher end that he may or may not like.

VTtuna

You can get a more than decent McDermott for under 200 bucks that will totally do anything you need to do at the beginnner/intermediate level . I had one like that as my first cue and it was a great stepping stone into the cue world.

FunChamp

I recommend going in your kitchen, cut off your broom handle to 58", and put an Elkmaster on one end and play with that. According to a lot of folks most pros can play with one so it's good enough for you.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend going in your kitchen, cut off your broom handle to 58", and put an Elkmaster on one end and play with that. According to a lot of folks most pros can play with one so it's good enough for you.
I'm playing anyone even if they use a broom handle.
All the stories of guys running multiple racks with a broom handle are fake.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm playing anyone even if they use a broom handle.
All the stories of guys running multiple racks with a broom handle are fake.
Well I have seen a great player beat a decent player using a mop handle.

No, he didnt run racks, which is your point, but he did win the cheese.

This happened in Springfield, Missouri and the players first name was Darrin.

My advice is to buy a sneaky pete. I bought a great cocobolo and straight grain maple cue from Rick Howard.

I think I paid $400. Trust me it was a bargin.

See pictures

Ken

Attachments

• IMG-1730.JPG
    IMG-1730.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-1728.jpg
    IMG-1728.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG-1727.jpg
    IMG-1727.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 70

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say buy a cue that you really like the looks of that doesn't break the bank at all. I have seen through the years some newer players that spent a lot on a cue but can't make three balls in a row and never got to that point of playing.
Having a cue you really like (looks and the feel of the hit) to play with may keep you out there playing and practicing and competing.
Down the road you will have a better idea of what you really like in a cue and it is unlikely that if you are in it for the long haul, that you will only have one cue or have owned some different ones at different times. You may find over time that you will focus on different characteristics of a cue that you really like or suit your way of playing. I have owned a LOT of cues through the years and really regret selling two of them which were both Sneaky Pete cues. Oh well!
There are a lot of well made production cues that are reasonably priced out there. Find a place that you can go to and see them and get an idea of what they feel like. Used cues in good condition are not a bad idea as you can hit a few balls with them before buying.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
If he has the means to throw $1k at his first cue, as a beginner, well that's cool. I am of the opinion that is a lot of money to put into something that you aren't even sure of yet. I would think getting something nice for a few hundred bucks till he plays enough to know more of what he wants might make more sense. But hey, if he has the $$$ to do it, enjoy!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally I dislike weight bolts as they screw up the balance of the cue, played with a 19 oz cue for several years, tried a new cue that is 19oz too, the balance was screwed up, I removed the 1 oz weight bolt and it felt better.

You can get a low deflection shaft from say Predator and get a Schmelke butt. This would save you $$$ for a nice case or even a cheap break cue if you wish
Weight bolts are commonly used since a cue maker cannot always get a customer’s targeted butt weight without one.
The task is to use the lightest weight bolt & to make it headless with a cored butt to allow positioning the weight bolt.

Bob Owen was able to build my cues without any bolts but I asked him for a couple of headless bolts (7 grms each)
that I could position within the cue butt for weight balancing, if desired, instead of just a bolt in the bottom of the cue.

There is a weight ratio between the cue shaft and the cue butt. Great cue makers always respect the ratio and don’t
rely on sticking a 3/4 or 1oz., or possibly even heavier, bolt in the bottom of a cue butt. The balance would be awful.

All of my custom cues were built with cue butts weighing well under 15 ounces. The last four cues were made by Bob &
Jerry Rauenzahn. Both are extraordinary cue makers. Neither cue maker relied on a weight bolt for my specified weight.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buy a cheap cue if you don’t own one. Figure out why you don’t like it or why you do. Try every every cue you can and figure out what you like. Buy a used cue that feels right in your hands, no guarantees that custom built is going to be what you wanted.

Ghost of OBC

One consideration about sneaky Pete's if you play in bars is that the bangers sometimes mistake them for house cues as you come back from the bog to find some guy playing with your cue and/or a league player is using it with a bridge attachment. Less of a concern with the more modern not so sneaky Pete's.

My league cue is a plain schmelke butt and an upgrading shaft (OB Fusion). It looks different enough not to be a house cue but not so fancy that it draws lots of attention.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any Cuetec AVID would be a great starting point. Multiple low deflection shaft sizes available, fully weight adjustable, extension compatible, plays great, and if your game grows, you can easily fit it with a Cuetec Cynergy Shaft. The AVID Surge break cue is amazing value for the money as well! Good luck in your search.