Benefits of joining an APA league?

BD23

I just want to play and improve, not interested in "meeting" new friends. Can anyone explain their reasons for joining.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I joined an APA masters team this last season. I’m heading to Vegas tomorrow for the national event. Not sue if it’ll be profitable or not, but it’s been fun.

I think personal development is on the individual. Leagues or tournaments alone will not get you there. We may go two and out, or we may win the whole thing, we’ll find out this week!

I only play pool for fun anymore. I try my best and see how it turns out.
I'll help you with that part Easy-E, it will NOT be profitable. You'll probably have fun though.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Thanks Nathan, I believe you understand where I am coming from based on the scores I have shown. To me, I warrant being a 5, but never a 6. I really believe the operator of this particular League has had an influence with the director, and that is why I am a six. I have only been playing pool for 8 months now! Some people say it will work out and level off to where it should be, but what happens in the interim when points are just as important now as they are later on?
You are a 5 or 6 and have been playing pool for only 8 months?

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
I just want to play and improve, not interested in "meeting" new friends. Can anyone explain their reasons for joining.

NONE, fastest way to improve is playing players better than you and taking lessons from a competent instructor who has your best interests at heart

An asset is hating to lose while being a gentleman when you do

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Thanks Nathan, I believe you understand where I am coming from based on the scores I have shown. To me, I warrant being a 5, but never a 6. I really believe the operator of this particular League has had an influence with the director, and that is why I am a six. I have only been playing pool for 8 months now! Some people say it will work out and level off to where it should be, but what happens in the interim when points are just as important now as they are later on?
If you truly believe the LO is "in cahoots" with someone that can do something, you probably ought to play somewhere else.

If you only have 5 matches in the system, it's going to vary, for a while. The computer needs data. Once you get a decent amount of matches in, it will stabilize more. There is no way to level things out without the data. In my experience, after 8-10 matches you usually are close to your current level, until you improve. Maybe less for some folks.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“How would it benefit the operator to make someone's handicap unfair/ wrong?”
This is the best way to get more teams in the league. Just raise the hcps of a couple of players a couple of points and it will be difficult for them to play with the 23 hcp rule. If they want to play, just recruit a new team. More teams, more money for the LO. Remember this; you can lose 10 to 15 matches in a row and not drop a SL, but win 2 in a row and some LOs will raise your SL in the blink of an eye. That is not fair.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“How would it benefit the operator to make someone's handicap unfair/ wrong?”
This is the best way to get more teams in the league. Just raise the hcps of a couple of players a couple of points and it will be difficult for them to play with the 23 hcp rule. If they want to play, just recruit a new team. More teams, more money for the LO. Remember this; you can lose 10 to 15 matches in a row and not drop a SL, but win 2 in a row and some LOs will raise your SL in the blink of an eye. That is not fair.
Do you have specifics on how the APA handicapping system works? Please elaborate

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NONE, fastest way to improve is playing players better than you and taking lessons from a competent instructor who has your best interests at heart

An asset is hating to lose while being a gentleman when you do
Yes to all this especially the closer.

As I walk away, I usually mutter and say next time. To myself!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't think anyone joins the APA if they are a serious player just for the playing in the APA using their rules. If you want to play pool, find a BCA or USAPL league. If the APA is the only thing in your area, then you can get a cheapish night of playing and table time at the places that offer it by you.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have specifics on how the APA handicapping system works? Please elaborate
By now, everyone knows that APA’s handicap system is “secret sauce”. I lost every match against all hcp levels for over 6 months and didn’t have my SL drop. Others had their SL adjusted after a couple of losses. No rhyme or reason. Due to my age and medical problems, I should have had my SL adjusted last year. No dice. It all depends on the LO!

Zerksies

By now, everyone knows that APA’s handicap system is “secret sauce”. I lost every match against all hcp levels for over 6 months and didn’t have my SL drop. Others had their SL adjusted after a couple of losses. No rhyme or reason. Due to my age and medical problems, I should have had my SL adjusted last year. No dice. It all depends on the LO!
The APA system does not allow dropping of rates for fear of sandbagging. If lucky you might drop a point.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member

Benefits of joining an APA league?​

Playing the savvy pretty girl on the other team that is a SL3, but plays like a 5.
THEN,.... she takes off her sweater to reveal her ample heaving chest in a halter, or a spaghetti strap top, and you ignore the "scenery," and beat her anyway.
Some female PRO's even do this......... *ahem* JB :cool:

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The APA system does not allow dropping of rates for fear of sandbagging. If lucky you might drop a point.
Please explain how to sandbag when someone has vision issues, lower back pain, shoulder pain, bad knees and shoulder issues? According to your thinking Jack Nicklaus should still challenge Jon Rahm and Scottie Scheffler from the tips. Due to his age and infirmities he just couldn’t do that.

Zerksies

Please explain how to sandbag when someone has vision issues, lower back pain, shoulder pain, bad knees and shoulder issues? According to your thinking Jack Nicklaus should still challenge Jon Rahm and Scottie Scheffler from the tips. Due to his age and infirmities he just couldn’t do that.
Lots of scumbags in the pool world. You think a mojority of the players are honest? The APA is full of sandbagging scumbags that just want a free trip to Vegas.

When i was in the league decades ago that was thier big selling point :ROFLMAO:. I've been to Vegas many times on my own and the cost is very cheap.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My LO was asked to intervene with APA on behalf of a player with worsening Parkinson's. His SL could not go down since he had gone to Vegas as a high tier player.

His skill level has been adjusted

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA isn't for everyone but it does have a place. Not sure that I agree that it is the downfall of real pool. It brings in new blood to our sport and the new players spend money on cues, cases, business in rooms, etc. etc. In which those products the "league" player buys helps sponsor some pro players via the billiard industry. There is a place for everyone. I also think pro pool is in the best position since I've been around. Now as far as players getting better by paying their dues I get that.

Besides the trophy I have from the APA is 6 inches not 5 :)
How much does miniature golf support big golf?
A course that has both....how many become dedicated to play the 300 yard holes?

Minigolf takes off. Some Dilbert runs a league and pushes league. Eventually the golf course sold for condos....90% of people want the quick fix of putting through a windmill....a moving one.

Sure it kept the business open...but it's a shadow of it's former self. People getting out easier...feeling like worldbeaters. Playing for funnies and recruiting their wives and kids to play.

Juat let pool die in the US....it's unstoppable. Pool became huge in times of economic downturns...Bunch of bachelors.who wanted a place to call their own. Competition that men thrive on. Manhood under attack in US. Very few players rooms.

League people always talk about paying a roo6ms bills...keeping rooms lights on. 4 bu ks a person...10 per table times 6 or 8 matches. Not.worth.selling pool's soul and bastardizing it into what league is. Slowly the 9 foot tables disappear and so do the.better players. Seen it a million times. League ops and room owners riding the cash too. Pool is the best sport ever....pool....not playing on Fisher Price tables, being their hours to play under 10 games. There is so much that League players will never appreciate or understand, most never even witnessing it in its proper form feeling like they are players.

Last edited:

rharm

Registered
I joined an APA 8 Ball Pool League but have really been turned off by how they have handicapped me. It was my first time on the APA, and also playing League 9 ball, so I guess I went in without a handicap as my opponent did that evening. I smoked him pretty good, but he is only a hc2 right now and I am a 6, so it should be no surprise the 1st week's win. My beef right now is that I am a 6 hc when I think I should be a 5 hc being beaten by lower opponents. There has been talk that the league officer has connections to the president and has some say in how people are handicapped. Personally, being a six right now, doesn't seem to fit my production so far?
1st column is my hc going into match,
2nd column is win/loss and opponent's hc,
3rd column is point results of match

MY HC ___ W/L ___ RESULTS
0 _____ W0 _____ 19-1
6 _____ L5 _____ 16-4
5 _____ W5 _____ 13-7
6 _____ L4 _____ 16-5
6 _____ L5 _____ 14-6
6 _____ W5 _____ 13-7
The handicap in APA is based mostly on innings per game for 8 ball and balls per inning for 9 ball. You can not look at just a win/loss record and determine what handicap you should be. How many balls are you averaging per inning?