More chalk talk

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Though I’m sure I’ll have 50 people tell me how dumb what I’m about to say is, I’m gonna say it anyway…

Bear with me a moment here.

I’m a pretty solid player. I don’t play as well as I used to by any stretch and probably never will. But at one point in my life I played for a living. No, I didn’t play pro events. I was an action guy. I spent thousands of hours playing some pretty high stress pool matches for many years.

I’m from the southeast and where I’m from it’s humid all the time. Barely ever get a day off from humidity.

I say all that to say this… I don’t remember balls skidding like hardly ever. Yeah here or there on certain angles. But I mean I spent 12 hours a day or more in the pool room both in action myself and betting on others and I’m telling you it happened so rarely it wasn’t much of a thought.

We exclusively used Master chalk and the balls weren’t exactly clean all the time either. We didn’t clean the cue ball on a towel or our pants legs between games or when we got ball in hand or anything like that. And oh btw the pool room I spent most of my time cutting my teeth in had visits from just about every name you can think of. Not a single one of them would ever go out of their way to clean the cueball excessively like everyone seems to do now.

What I’m saying is, maybe just maybe these new chalks actually CAUSE SKIDS. Or perhaps it’s the balls that have changed drastically in some imperceptible way. Or perhaps a little “grease” from our hands is actually a good thing.

Just food for thought.
I have a couple of boxes of old master chalk that have the lead in them. I won't use anything else. Gonna be screwed once these run out. Lol. Had guys swipe a piece off my table when not looking bcuz I don't miscue very often and they don't see the squirt when I shoot. This chalk is a darker blue and goes on the tip smooth like butter. No clump up or gaps. And the hall I play out of has some of the nastiest balls anywhere!! Lol. Old heads will recall this stuff. Sure glad I tucked some away for posterity!!!

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Though I’m sure I’ll have 50 people tell me how dumb what I’m about to say is, I’m gonna say it anyway…

I’m a pretty solid player. I don’t play as well as I used to by any stretch and probably never will. But at one point in my life I played for a living. No, I didn’t play pro events. I was an action guy. I spent thousands of hours playing some pretty high stress pool matches for many years.

I’m from the southeast and where I’m from it’s humid all the time. Barely ever get a day off from humidity.

I say all that to say this… I don’t remember balls skidding like hardly ever. Yeah here or there on certain angles. But I mean I spent 12 hours a day or more in the pool room both in action myself and betting on others and I’m telling you it happened so rarely it wasn’t much of a thought.

We exclusively used Master chalk and the balls weren’t exactly clean all the time either. We didn’t clean the cue ball on a towel or our pants legs between games or when we got ball in hand or anything like that. And oh btw the pool room I spent most of my time cutting my teeth in had visits from just about every name you can think of. Not a single one of them would ever go out of their way to clean the cueball excessively like everyone seems to do now.

What I’m saying is, maybe just maybe these new chalks actually CAUSE SKIDS. Or perhaps it’s the balls that have changed drastically in some imperceptible way. Or perhaps a little “grease” from our hands is actually a good thing.

Just food for thought.
We didn't know what we didn't know.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I play near a water heater and a

Weil-Mclain 118304501 EG-30 75 Input MBtu 82% AFUE Natural Gas Steam Boiler (Knockdown - Assembly Required, No Tankless Coil Opening)​

The residue byproduct saturates the air and makes the game more fun.

I get lots of jumps and chips.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah I mean I saw them but maybe once a month not twice a night like I see them now. I can't explain why they're more common now than they were in the 90s and 2000s but they absolutely are much more common. SKIDS I mean.
Ya i agree and wonder its the fact cloth now days so fast there is very little nap to grab cue ball. In my opinion tables are way to fast, its created a game of no stroke pool!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Ya i agree and wonder its the fact cloth now days so fast there is very little nap to grab cue ball. In my opinion tables are way to fast, its created a game of no stroke pool!
Sounds like you've never played on Simonis 760.
And watch out for ''residue byproducts''.
I'm sure it's got has nothing to do with Humidity, or worn cloth fibers on table ;).

justnum

Silver Member
I need clearance to go into the lab to solve faster problems.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man I love y’all but every time someone says Tulsa/Oklahoma is humid I lmfao. I remember piggy banks crying saying thaf playing David Strawn 20 years ago and I laughed then about it.

I am of course from south Louisiana so I’m def cynical about that lol….tho oddly enough my table offshore the Brunswick prestige I restored and slapped Artemis intercontinental 66 and Simonis 860hr….that sob plays fast and awesome despite the really crazy humidity. The 4” pockets are a muddafugga so I’m the only one that plays on it…I told them it was an accident that I made it so tight but it is possible I was 100% lying to them 🤣. Oh well more for me in better condition for longer hahahahha
Worked a week with a guy in LA who sold to the sugar industry.
Don't think it ever got below about 180% humidity.
Broke out in a sweat, just moving my lips to say something.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I‘ve never thought about “skids” outside of “skid marks” on underwear. I’m beginning to think that a lot of pool topics are from “ overthinking“.

When I see one piece of chalk selling for $29.00 retail I realise that the biggest hustler’s are manufacturers and retailers.

Last edited:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
yeah I mean I saw them but maybe once a month not twice a night like I see them now. I can't explain why they're more common now than they were in the 90s and 2000s but they absolutely are much more common. SKIDS I mean.
I am certainly no genius on this, but here is a little food for thought:
Old days vs. today - Speed of shot is down. with 860Hr vs something like old royal 300 (very "fluffy" felt), shot speed is down. I see much more slow rolling than yrs ago.
And a 2nd thought,......
If you chalk every shot and it does not show up on the CB; where do you think it is going??

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
played for decades on slow humid cloth. we called it throw or push back then. on shots that tended to have its effect we always used outside english to eliminate it and also help the cut shot.

it was rare that it affected the shot from happening though. and there was chalk over everything and balls were rarely cleaned. tables brushed off once a day .

justnum

Silver Member
Theoretically is there a delayed English shot.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple of boxes of old master chalk that have the lead in them. I won't use anything else. Gonna be screwed once these run out. Lol. Had guys swipe a piece off my table when not looking bcuz I don't miscue very often and they don't see the squirt when I shoot. This chalk is a darker blue and goes on the tip smooth like butter. No clump up or gaps. And the hall I play out of has some of the nastiest balls anywhere!! Lol. Old heads will recall this stuff. Sure glad I tucked some away for posterity!!!
Another old pool wives tale. Masters/Triangle blue and green never had lead or mercury in it. Everyone thought the new 'flag' Masters was different. No. This is what the head guy at Tweeten told me directly. I've got some old pre-flag Master that is identical to new stuff. Can not tell it apart. Blue Diamond is better if you like Master. Made by Tweeten for Longoni. Not as dusty. Good shit.

xX-Wizard-Xx

Just food for thought.
i have played and still do play alot of pool ... and never even think about skids ..

Iwishiwasrich

It seems to me we didn't have too many complaints of skids until recently with the advent of all of these new chalks. This guy on my team uses the new predator chalk and it leaves measles all over the cue ball ,way worse than my Masters.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me we didn't have too many complaints of skids until recently with the advent of all of these new chalks. This guy on my team uses the new predator chalk and it leaves measles all over the cue ball ,way worse than my Masters.
for the price it costs, it should be perfect. He probably is loading up his tip, with way too much. Would you buy any of these new chalks? Every couple months. there seems to be a new one come out.

Another old pool wives tale. Masters/Triangle blue and green never had lead or mercury in it. Everyone thought the new 'flag' Masters was different. No. This is what the head guy at Tweeten told me directly. I've got some old pre-flag Master that is identical to new stuff. Can not tell it apart. Blue Diamond is better if you like Master. Made by Tweeten for Longoni. Not as dusty. Good shit.
With you on this one for sure.

I haven’t had the pleasure of using Blue Diamond very much though, will have to order some to try. I’m definitely a “masters guy”

Iwishiwasrich

for the price it costs, it should be perfect. He probably is loading up his tip, with way too much. Would you buy any of these new chalks? Every couple months. there seems to be a new one come out.
No I would not,but as long as people buy it they will sell it. I don't have a miscue problem so I can't justify spending 25 bucks on a piece of chalk.