Shane says, "9 ball is too easy"

shooter_Hans

He isn’t saying anything compelling and he is right.

8 ball was a lot of fun for me when I use to play everyday. The pattern and layout is always different compared to both guys chasing a ball in numerical order.

The reason why 9 ball got popular was for television. It is a faster game and moves along well since pool use to be on television. It is easier for the audience to watch. 8 ball games can take longer.

Remember the television viewer use to watch 14.1 so they needed a game to keep our attention and played at a faster pace.

2 guys chasing 9 balls is faster than both of them each going after seven balls and the 8.

Last edited:

tomatoshooter

I think it really depends on the level of the player. It seems like in some stats I saw here recently, 8 ball had a higher runout percentage from the first offensive shot but a much lower percentage of successful breaks.

When mere mortals play, I think 8 ball is a better game because of player 1 dogs his last shot, player 2 still has to sink all of his balls. On the professional level, if people are playing sets this tends to even out more.

I think you can get "lucky"with your shot in nine ball, but in eight ball you can get lucky with your position.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball has a higher run out percentage then 9 ball for sure. It looks to easy for the pros. Especially with the open table after the break rule Like they were playing in the world championships but he is right. Pros should be playing call shot 10 ball at the least.

DaWizard

Well, I know y'all are sceptical, but this strengthens my belief that pool could use something new. Especially at the pro level. And also for viewers we could use a new game that has more dramatic moments, less predictable play, more spectacular "high light" shots.

Elimin-8-ball is a shot at this. It's regular 8 ball slowly changing to 1 pocket with a strong incentive for skill shots.

In January i'm going to organise a local tournament and see what the responses are.

I don't think Elimin-8-ball will become the dominant new game per se. But I think it's good to explore innovation. I think it would be great if a group of (computer) game designers and open minded (semi) pros would team up and brainstorm all kinds of concepts that fit certain criteria (fun, simple, exciting, innovative, fun to watch). If I had ~$10k to throw away I would organise this.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 ball has a higher run out percentage then 9 ball for sure. It looks to easy for the pros. Especially with the open table after the break rule Like they were playing in the world championships but he is right. Pros should be playing call shot 10 ball at the least.
Well said, 8 ball, call shot 10 ball. Or just old school rotation with all 15. Thay very are more tricky games. Like shane was saying about 8 ball, rotation is also very much like chess, you have to out fox your opponent.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I know y'all are sceptical, but this strengthens my belief that pool could use something new. Especially at the pro level. And also for viewers we could use a new game that has more dramatic moments, less predictable play, more spectacular "high light" shots.

Elimin-8-ball is a shot at this. It's regular 8 ball slowly changing to 1 pocket with a strong incentive for skill shots.

In January i'm going to organise a local tournament and see what the responses are.

I don't think Elimin-8-ball will become the dominant new game per se. But I think it's good to explore innovation. I think it would be great if a group of (computer) game designers and open minded (semi) pros would team up and brainstorm all kinds of concepts that fit certain criteria (fun, simple, exciting, innovative, fun to watch). If I had ~$10k to throw away I would organise this.
Keep dreaming.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what else is new? Everyone knows 9 ball is too easy, but apparently it is easy to hold the attention span of the TV audience(whoever that still is).

BTW, he sounds like Earl does these days when he discusses 9 ball.

DaWizard

Keep dreaming.
Will do. I'm just curious why you're so opposed to this.

In business you have to innovate to stay relevant. In the gaming industry every day new games are being launched with much success.

Should pool remain the same until the end of times?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven’t watched the video yet but I will.

Wonder what Shane’s thoughts are on Saratoga? Seems like an obvious hybrid, meet in the middle kinda thing between 9 and 8 ball THAT IS EASY TO FOLLOW for both players and spectators alike.
A great(and SIMPLE) way to play Saratoga is short-rack with nine balls. Four solids, four stripes, 8b in the middle. Have to run your balls in order. Fun, quik and no giant list of strange rules.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Since Matchroom changed the break rule circa August 2022, Shane has come up empty at the 9ball majors. 9ball has done a great job of sorting out who the truly elite are in our sport. That's likely to continue.

As we saw at the World 8-ball, 8ball on the big tables is boring to watch and it's, basically, a breaking contest for the most elite players, as the run outs are so easy by world class standards. Shane probably has the best 8ball break in the world, and he rode it to victory. It was reminiscent of the days when Shane dominated with his 9ball break, but today's version of 9ball (tight pockets, tough breaking rules) require a far more balanced skill set than that needed ten years ago.

Shane wants to return to a world in which his break will give him a gigantic edge over his opponents. Can't say I blame him, but it's big table 8ball that's too easy. 8ball, however, is an interesting game on a bar box.

Last edited: