SJM at the 2024 Derby City Classic

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Perhaps we have stumbled on the answer to the DCC delimmas: it is not a pool tournament -- it is Mardi Gras on felt. Any expectation beyond its occurring should be left at home. As every Yat knows, the second rule of Carnival is "and just go with the flow".

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
After this, I am off all the esoteric references. FYI, again

At any rate, this is good information for anyone planning to find their way to the doings at Buffalo's -- the other Mardi Gras on felt, imho.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, but why would Diamond risk pissing off pros and customers over $20k in buyback fees? The money they make from DCC is nothing compared to their annual revenue from pool table sales. It’s a weird business strategy.
You're asking the wrong person. I will only add this, and it is definitely my own informed opinion. DCC is by far the most profitable pool tournament held in the United States every year. Only the Mosconi Cup even comes close. And I wouldn't exactly call it chump change (or "nothing) either. Plus it is a great promotional vehicle for Diamond's brand!

stevelomako

Needed now…more than ever.
Silver Member
Jay, but why would Diamond risk pissing off pros and customers over $20k in buyback fees? The money they make from DCC is nothing compared to their annual revenue from pool table sales. It’s a weird business strategy.

You're asking the wrong person. I will only add this, and it is definitely my own informed opinion. DCC is by far the most profitable pool tournament held in the United States every year. Only the Mosconi Cup even comes close. And I wouldn't exactly call it chump change (or "nothing) either. Plus it is a great promotional vehicle for Diamond's brand!

The buy-backs are $100

Multiply that by the total amount of players over 3 tournaments 475, 400 and 500 less a few that don’t buy back. Let’s be generous and say more than 10%.

1375 total players less those that don’t buy back (more than 10%, so let’s use 175 players)

Now we have 1200 buy backs times $100

$120,000 💵😁💵

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
The buy-backs are $100

Multiply that by the total amount of players over 3 tournaments 475, 400 and 500 less a few that don’t buy back. Let’s be generous and say more than 10%.

1375 total players less those that don’t buy back (more than 10%, so let’s use 175 players)

$120,000 💵😁💵
And as I said somewhere, we can't even get a taco truck in the parking lot.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The buy-backs are $100

$120,000 💵😁💵
Your figure is high. The percentages of buy-backs I have seen for the 3 events in the past 11 DCCs have ranged from about 60% to about 80%, with two-thirds being a reasonable overall figure for all 3 events over those 11 DCCs. This year was actually one of the highest, at least for Banks and One-Pocket (the data for 9-Ball was not available to me). But if we use the two-thirds figure and your 1,375 entrants, we get 917 buy-backs, for about $92,000. Based on the data I had, it was likely higher than that this year, but certainly less than your $120,000.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Next year if I rent two rooms I bring two dozen slow cookers, what types of meals would you want while watching pool?
I have been training with executive chefs for food safe certification.

Its all grab and go service, all digital payment and ordering.

I can do veggies over rice plus a vegan protein. I have veggie groupings based on Italian, Asian and European food groups.

Animal products take too long in the slow cooker.

stevelomako

Silver Member
Your figure is high. The percentages of buy-backs I have seen for the 3 events in the past 11 DCCs have ranged from about 60% to about 80%, with two-thirds being a reasonable overall figure for all 3 events over those 11 DCCs. This year was actually one of the highest, at least for Banks and One-Pocket (the data for 9-Ball was not available to me). But if we use the two-thirds figure and your 1,375 entrants, we get 917 buy-backs, for about $92,000. Based on the data I had, it was likely higher than that this year, but certainly less than your $120,000.
So that’s still significantly higher than the guy that thought they made $20,000

If they had up to date charts we could get the actual numbers…but they don’t.

I might use 80% and would bet against 60% ever being a total number of buy backs for one event.

stevelomako

Silver Member
Next year if I rent two rooms I bring two dozen slow cookers, what types of meals would you want while watching pool?
I have been training with executive chefs for food safe certification.

Its all grab and go service, all digital payment and ordering.

I can do veggies over rice plus a vegan protein. I have veggie groupings based on Italian, Asian and European food groups.

Animal products take too long in the slow cooker.
The Filipino contingent used to get kicked out because of cooking rice and keeping live chickens in the hotel rooms.

Thats why they haven’t been there the last few years.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
The Filipino contingent used to get kicked out because of cooking rice and keeping live chickens in the hotel rooms.

Thats why they haven’t been there the last few years.

Kentucky and Indiana is great weather DCC helps the area economically. COVID locked everyone out.

I will rent a table and sell food from the table. I hope you like Potato Adobo and Veggie Kare Kare

If you want Sagada Red Rice expect to pay premium prices.

Its fun to go to see who shows up. I would rather go as a business than a fan. Yes I am stating this because I want to promote Filipino players.

I am a Filipino Chef for Filipino players. Some Filipinos like Peanut Butter Kare Kare and others like Roasted Rice Kare Kare.

Which one should I serve? All meals come with dietician guidelines and meal plans and calorie meal estimate quizzes.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So that’s still significantly higher than the guy that thought they made $20,000

If they had up to date charts we could get the actual numbers…but they don’t.

I might use 80% and would bet against 60% ever being a total number of buy backs for one event.
He may have meant $20,000 for each of the 3 events, based on an example I posted in another thread. The example used a buy-back cost of $60 rather than the current $100. I have corrected that.

The roughly 80% high and 60% low I mentioned are for individual disciplines a couple of years each, never for the 3 disciplines combined in a given year.

stevelomako

Silver Member
He may have meant $20,000 for each of the 3 events, based on an example I posted in another thread. The example used a buy-back cost of $60 rather than the current $100. I have corrected that.

The roughly 80% high and 60% low I mentioned are for individual disciplines a couple of years each, never for the 3 disciplines combined in a given year.
I just go by what people say. I don’t try to think what they meant.

With all what we’re saying is said…they still never address the problems they have. 🤷🏻‍♂️

What does that say?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just go by what people say. I don’t try to think what they meant.

With all what we’re saying is said…they still never address the problems they have. 🤷🏻‍♂️

What does that say?
I imagine they will do something significant for next year. I have to think that they thought the changes they made for this year would prevent a repeat of last year's debacle. They were wrong. Let's see what's ahead.

stevelomako

Silver Member
I imagine they will do something significant for next year. I have to think that they thought the changes they made for this year would prevent a repeat of last year's debacle. They were wrong. Let's see what's ahead.
Other than the one pocket rule change after 2 hours of playing…what else did they do?