The Hustler > The Color of Money > ???

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a Mission Impossible spin on it getting Tom involved from the beginning of it a tournament trail so to speak where he comes up against a tough German or Russia opponent in the finals for the world championship .
With the winner getting the cash and the hot girl .

As for Tom Cruise's character he's one of the nicest people I've met in over 40 years of working in the entertainment industry .
Or maybe Cruise could play a pool playing private detective who gets hired by a California room owner named 'OSCAR'(major hint) to go track down a notorious FORMER player/stiff-artist named 'JOHNNY(hint #2) in order to recover $$ owed. Call it 'Maverick, Hired Gun'. Would be EPIC.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
California.
I am in CA (SoCal) as well and can comment the decline of pool here has very little to do with interest in the game vs the economics of running a pool hall in a very high priced commercial real estate environment. We have the Mezz LA 9 Ball Series which is a monthly series capped at 32 players. Enties sell out in minutes a month before the event(s). There are quite a number of rooms in the greater LA area including OC: The Cue Ball, Good Times Billiards, Aloha Billiards, VIP Billiards, Danny K's and several others. There are also many DIY streamers on FB streaming action matches. Leagues are doing good as well. I don't play in a league but I have a buddy who is the local APA LO and he runs a very successful franchise and I have another buddy who is the LO of a local BCA League and his league is doing well.
Also, being here helps me understand where pool is going and it has been a regional sport for quite some time now. Making it a niche.

I will also add that a movie may work if directed by an Asian director and the story took place in Asia since pool is more relatable to that demographics than it would be here in the States.
Again, not sure where you are looking, but pool seems to be doing quite well from my perspective. I'd say there are more opportunities to play now than there was, say 5 years ago.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That show already sucks. So replacing it with some pool show would not be an upgrade.

Pool is a niche just like shuffle board.

As a matter of fact I know a guy that quit pool to play shuffle board and back. Lol
I agree pool is niche, but way more popular than shuffleboard.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the color of money but I'm also much younger than most of you guys here who love The Hustler
I'm 79 and I also prefer The Color Of Money, although Gleason's performance in The Hustler was the nuts, as was the Ames location. But The Hustler would've needed a few Earthquakes and Forrest Whitakers for me to really warm up to it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 79 and I also prefer The Color Of Money, although Gleason's performance in The Hustler was the nuts, as was the Ames location. But The Hustler would've needed a few Earthquakes and Forrest Whitakers for me to really warm up to it.
The Hustler used pool as a vehicle but was not about pool. One of the darkest movies made at that time. The undercurrent was meant to be dark as shit. And it was but this part was so well blended in with the pool it takes a couple views to get just how tragic the whole thing is.

m00sebumps

A lot of talk about bringing Cruise back as Vincent in this thread but I really think it would be a mistake. I want to see a limited series that is faithful to the novel by Walter Tevis. Fats is a huge part of the novel in helping Eddie find his game again. Netflix did Queens Gambit, also by Walter Tevis...the same for The colof of money would be really good

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
A lot of talk about bringing Cruise back as Vincent in this thread but I really think it would be a mistake. I want to see a limited series that is faithful to the novel by Walter Tevis. Fats is a huge part of the novel in helping Eddie find his game again. Netflix did Queens Gambit, also by Walter Tevis...the same for The colof of money would be really good
Cruise remains one of the biggest box-office draws in the world. No way it would be a mistake to include him.