Searing Cue

mr magoo

it's a double edged sword, keep in mind how unsuspecting people will be harmed by these folks as long as they remain in the shadows

so, it's 3 that deserve to be in check vs who knows how many that are innocent
You have stated a very good point. I am trying to help out fellow az,ers but at the same time I may be indirectly, possibly letting them get the shaft. I never thought about that.
Thank you ribdoner. I have some heavy thinking to do.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Theres been so many cans of worms opened like this but nothing ever stayed on the hook. Nowadays it seems everything is kept on the forefront and maybe people in general are just like MF it. If this was on FB it would probably crash the server… but I dont have FB so I doono 😆 but AZ is still a pretty tight NIT community, and more often than not posters in threads like this arent one hitters and done when the smoke is gone. This thread was days old when Dennis posted and tho its intriguing af it might pay to see if any parties involved in anything step up and contact anyone thats posted in this thread. Im not saying hold anyone's breath but as much attention as this one has gotten, more than likely its made its way off here also...so maybe some kind of communication is at least being thought about. I aint got a dog in the hunt and though names are hella curious it would almost be just as nice to see the OP's of the various posts in this thread reply that they had been compensated or goods returned. Im not saying 12 months nor people if they indeed engaged in some shady cue laundering should get off like an air barrel but maybe a few more days of open airway between the parties involved would help. I think it was a bit on a Joe Rogan podcast where someone said its more embarrassing to face your mistakes in a room full of blind mutes than in a room full of screaming onlookers, because you never know who is looking over your shoulder or talking behind your back.

~ Family will side with family...friends will side with friends...but in the end everyone sides with reality
$H - just made up one of those "you know how the old saying goes"...kinda sayings 😁

On a side note…anyone see that ISU vs Drake game 🏀🔥
I hope you meant tight knit, not nit.

Andy70

Registered
This appears to be a very serious mess, affecting a lot of cues and a man's reputation and livelihood. If nothing happens, there is a lot of potential harm. It is not every day that someone steps up and accepts responsibility. So it is a start -- a good first step. From here, it is definitely worth continuing. Without trying nothing happens. The only alternatives I know of are litigation or giving up -- both of which are equally unattractive. Who wants to go in either direction?
I’m glad to see Dennis respond and I hope he is sincere. Dennis did reach out to me and told me my cue would be done next week. Im definitely looking forward to that. I hope for myself and Dennis this happens! That is in no way a threat! I hope for his business/ reputation it happens for me and everyone that has reached out to me. I have heard from others that Dennis is a very hard worker and just can’t say no to anyone! Dennis builds one of the best playing cues I’ve ever played with and I just want my cue back! I’ve never had a problem with him personally, just frustrated with his business actions.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m glad to see Dennis respond and I hope he is sincere. Dennis did reach out to me and told me my cue would be done next week. Im definitely looking forward to that. I hope for myself and Dennis this happens! That is in no way a threat! I hope for his business/ reputation it happens for me and everyone that has reached out to me. I have heard from others that Dennis is a very hard worker and just can’t say no to anyone! Dennis builds one of the best playing cues I’ve ever played with and I just want my cue back! I’ve never had a problem with him personally, just frustrated with his business actions.
Please report back
i hope you have good news to tell us….🙏🙏🤞🤞

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it was my business but after reading the OP Andy70, s story I changed my mind to go ahead and post my story to make it everybody's buisseness. Maybe i can save someone the same shit I went through.
Dennis has a following, and I did not want to here all there drama bashing coments.
I put off writing it for 8+ years as several friends said not to post it because I would be bashed, called a liar and whatever.
Now I don't care.

As far as my story being accurate: it is. I have nothing to gain. I am not trying to recoupe anything other than the satisfaction of letting people know how to retrieve there cue they can't get back. And maybe someone will have second thoughts before shipping a cue to the searing shop.

I have said, I am not out to start more trouble for anyone. So I am still withholding the names of the two guys that got the cue from Dennis.
I haven't revealed the name of the cuemaker (1 of 5 top name cue markers in the world) that has a defect you could see from 3 feet away.
When I called him he tried to justify the defect and said, does it effect the way it plays, I said no, he says, what's the problem??
I ended the phone call.
Not one comment about that on the forum but that is the reason for sending the cue to Dennis.

I would love to reveal all three names, but my intentions are to not hurt anyone.
Well written post buddy. It absolutely seems like you are not just a shit stirrer but instead someone that just wants to help.

In terms of not naming names, I want you to think about this: if that builder that sold you a cue with a huge defect doesn't think it's a big deal, then he shouldn't mind others seeing it. Apparently in his opinion, it's fine.

And that guy that charged you a ridiculous amount to help you get your cues back wasn't ashamed to ask you for 2k, he should be bashful about others knowing what he did.

I've been lucky in all my deals so far, and having more info to help me make future decisions will help me continue to be lucky.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have said, I am not out to start more trouble for anyone. So I am still withholding the names of the two guys that got the cue from Dennis.
I haven't revealed the name of the cuemaker (1 of 5 top name cue markers in the world) that has a defect you could see from 3 feet away.
When I called him he tried to justify the defect and said, does it effect the way it plays, I said no, he says, what's the problem??
I ended the phone call.
I appreciate you sharing your story, and understand your reluctance to name the bounty hunter(s) (extortionists?) or the other cuemaker.

But think of the greater good here and how many other folks you could help by sharing this info. And remember, it isn’t libel if it’s true.

shooter_Hans

The dog the cue hunter definitely should be named.

Look at it as if we ever need to get a cue back we know exactly who this guy is.

For better or worst we will know who he is and perhaps may even get the 2k back.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have an issue getting their cue back from Dennis? I sent a cue to him that he received on 5/14/2020 asking for a refinish and another shaft. Was told at that time it would be about a month to take care of. I’ve reached out several times over the years being respectful knowing it takes time to do quality work. I’ve been hesitant to post anything online thinking other cue builders/dealers would “black ball” me. I have text massages to show conversation.
I'm surprised that, if all this is true, anyone would defend the cue maker. I don't care how good people think his cues might be. This is either gross incompetence or fraud. My only experience with a custom cue maker is a Plain Jane I got from Keith Josey. He did exactly what he said, at a fair price, and in the time frame he promised. Any less than that and I simply don't understand why people accept it.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cops won't do shit because its a civil matter. either go beat on his door or pay a friend to do so. get your cue back and walk away from this douchebag.
Isn't there something they can do if you mailed it to him? Interstate mail fraud or something like that? Might be worth your time to call and ask your postmaster.

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now it's late 2022. I meat a guy, that knows a guy, that says he can get the cues from Dennis. The guy was going to charge me, I thought 1000 to1500 dollars for retrieving the hostage cues from Dennis. I'm good with the deal. The dude gets the 2 cues and one shaft shipped to him from Dennis in 8 or 9 days. sends me pictures and I verify they are my cues, minus the perfect Penn linebn wrap. Dennis must have needed it for a restore as i don't believe it had to come off for the repairs?? The dude tells me he will ship them to me after he receives 2000 dollars for his effert. I am shellshocked. I have to pay him. Not having enough funds, I borrowed the cash, mailed a cashiers check to him. 2 days later i receive what I call my hostage cues. One with the missing wrap.----‐17 years without the cue i loved. Thanks Dennis. this whole fiasko makes absolutely no commen sense.

it's your business and yours only....(but you did indeed post it here.....)

has you use the post office to mail payment? that might be federal 18 USC 873 extortion

postal inspection service or fbi might be interested in that low hanging fruit of a case (if the evidence/corroboration is still available....)

------

goes without saying --- (assuming your account of events is all completley on the level, credible, and accurate) --- should't hestitate to say who pulled this....

wow. crazy stuff.
sad state of affairs and even sadder dennis allowed someone to get $2,000 for simply doing what should have been done within the first couple years admitting he had bitten off more than he could chew, totally dispicable

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i dont understand this bit off more than he can chew. if you do this you spit it out. and that means call up your customers and tell them it will be years until you get to them and do they want their cue back or one made if thats what they ordered.

you know when you cant finish a project and nobody is so nice to keep accepting work he cant possible do in the time he told.
living a lie at others expense.