Best table...

Georgiacue

I'm gonna replace my cheaper 8ft table with another table now that I'm getting back into the sport after a 30 year haitius. Im pretty much set on a 9ft table. It will have to be 3 piece due to my basement has a set of stairs and a corner.

If you had a choice of new table what specific table model, pocket size, specific cloth and any other specifics what would you get or advice you'd have

I'm in Atlanta Georgia is that helps.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which diamond? I'm trying to understand if diamond has a pockets only table and not just a return ball table. Not sure what the right terminlogy is for that.
Yes, you can get a Diamond commercial model with drop pockets, and that would be my first choice of table. Ball returns are much harder on the balls as well as making it much harder to keep the balls clean.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you are going to invest in premium, quality balls I would go for the drop pockets model. As stated above, ball return models can be rough on billiard balls. I'm speaking from experience.

Georgiacue

If you are going to invest in premium, quality balls I would go for the drop pockets model. As stated above, ball return models can be rough on billiard balls. I'm speaking from experience.
Is that a cheaper model than the ball return model. Should play the same no matter the return or pocket method?? I personally prefer the drop pocket. Quieter too

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They make the Pro and the ProAm. Totally different build styles. Pro uses a beam frame like a GC where the ProAm is made like a bar-box on steroids. Both are built like tanks. Pro is drop only and Am comes in return but can be ordered with drop pock.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you share why? I'm just curious. I'm gonna go to the Philly super expo and talk to them direct. I just want to be educated lol
Its a more traditional style. The ProAm is great if you have to move it often. If a had a Am i'd definitely opt for the drop pocket option. Not a fan of ball return big tables.

Georgiacue

Its a more traditional style. The ProAm is great if you have to move it often. If a had a Am i'd definitely opt for the drop pocket option. Not a fan of ball return big tables.
Ok thank ya. So they play the same??

also Cloth preference, pocket size? It looks like if you have decent stairs I'll need a 3 pc slate.

Badpenguin

Diamond strongly discouraged me from ordering a Pro-Am with drop pockets. And by strongly discouraged, I mean refused to sell me one.

So, I converted mine ;)

Every once in a while, if I'm practicing something like straight pool or one pocket, I'll remove the sponges and let the balls use the return.

1711034293746.jpeg

1711034314329.jpeg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond strongly discouraged me from ordering a Pro-Am with drop pockets. And by strongly discouraged, I mean refused to sell me one.

So, I converted mine ;)

Every once in a while, if I'm practicing something like straight pool or one pocket, I'll remove the sponges and let the balls use the return.

View attachment 749973
View attachment 749974
Yeah, that'll work. I asked them once about DP ProAm and they didn't quote a price(i wasn't actively looking to buy) but they did say its doable. i've seen plenty on streams that are PA drop-pocket.

Benelli

Yes, you absolutely have to spend 10K on a new diamond.

Or you stalk FB marketplace and snatch up a low-cost 9ft in either a Gold Crown for under 3K or a nice AE Schmidt/Connelly for under $500.

I spent $250 on my 9ft'er and $600 on my 9ft Diamond Light!

DeeDeeCues

If you haven't played on a diamond, they play way differently than real pool tables. Don't spend 10k on one without playing on a diamond for a few hours.

They are also ugly. The only thing diamond got right is the flush pockets.

If you are willing to spend diamond money, I expect you will be happier with a gold crown that had been restored. They will be what you were used to playing on in the nineties.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a recent owner of both diamond an gold crown, both are excellent choices.

The diamond is a better table, hough you pay a lot more for better.

I'd reach out to Mark Gregory (Google/ Facebook: perfect pocketz) and ask if he's interested in serving your area or has a recommendation re whom you should contact.

Go fo the gold crown and don't cheap out on the installation