Custom Cue

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
:D
Dawgie said:
What do you think is a custom cue? Is it a cue that you saw for sale on this or another site made by a cue maker? Is it a cue that has special inlays and fancy ring work? Is it a cue with sharp points and beautiful inalys? What is a custom cue to you?
A cue that did not come from a factory.
If a cueamaker makes more than a 100 cues a year....

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Shawn Armstrong said:
So, should I make the cheque out for my next cue to Techno-Isel, or skins? make it out to me since, if you're listening you may learn something If you couldn't do it, the machine is the one that made it possible. Therefore, it's no longer "your" creation. so by your own analogy if you only use a milling machine, panto, table saw, lathe, chisels, knives, ect.... than " Therefore, it's no longer "your" creation" and i guess belongs to the machines and tools right?? :rolleyes: you make me LOL

Like I said years ago, may the best programmer win. There USED to be craftsmen like Paul Dayton that used a DREMEL to create their cues. yea and cavemen used to use stones to make their stone axes, so what? :confused: :rolleyes:....That's an artist. no even as you said more craftsman than artist. an artist places his thoughts on his canvas. which in this case is a cue, and uses any means at his disposal they feels necessary for that to come to fruition with many, because of their "thoughts" and for all respective purpose, choose different methods to make it happen. (contrary to some beliefe, bad "craftsman" and "artists", exist. the later being more opinion than fact). When you plug your cue into the indexing jig mounted in your CNC milling machine and press START, at that point my son could take over the rest of the cue making procedure. He loves glueing little pieces into precut little holes.........

LOL.....

skins ----- thinks knowledge shouldn't be wasted on those who can't comprehend

georgeh

Registered
by definition "Custom" means "made to order"

If a cuemaker has "custom" in his name, it means he will accept custom orders, it doesn't necessarily mean every cue he makes is custom. In contrast, if a cuemaker doesn't have "custom" in his name, doesn't mean he will not do a custom cue.

georgeh

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
:D
A cue that did not come from a factory.
If a cueamaker makes more than a 100 cues a year....

i don't think setting the "tally" at any number including "100" is fair. some makers work harder than others to create their wares which translate into more cues per year. some focus more on making cues for players than collectors which can translate the same as well. some could not only be set up to produce more and/or could be more knowledgeable and/or better at doing so. you have to include ALL factors of each maker individually. imo the three things i mentioned in my first post determine a custom maker.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
georgeh said:

If a cuemaker has "custom" in his name, it means he will accept custom orders, it doesn't necessarily mean every cue he makes is custom. In contrast, if a cuemaker doesn't have "custom" in his name, doesn't mean he will not do a custom cue.

georgeh

right to the point.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
skins, your self serving posts make me laugh

skins said:
an artist places his thoughts on his canvas. which in this case is a cue, and uses any means at his disposal they feels necessary for that to come to fruition with many, because of their "thoughts" and for all respective purpose, choose different methods to make it happen.

So, I decide that I want to paint a Monet. I go out and get a Paint-by-Number Monet canvas from the art store (the same thing as getting someone to program your inlay machine). I fill in the squares as outlined on the page. Now I'm an artist? LMFAO, skins. Keep posting self serving crap that explains your artistry. If you design it from scratch, program the machine yourself, and execute the cue, that's fantastic. If you hire someone along the way to help facilitate the process (CNC programmer), or hire someone to be on your staff (CNC programmer) to facilitate this, you're no longer an artist. You're a manufacturer.

Monet didn't get his neighbour to come over to paint the trees on his canvas. Also, seeing as the program is run by a computer, don't pat yourself on the back too hard. Your pentium contributes more to the process than you. He's the worker. You just happen to know it's language.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
georgeh said:

georgeh
Then Joss is custom. Pechauer is custom. McDermott is custom. Viking is custom. Etc, etc, etc. They all do custom orders if you're willing to foot the bill.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Shawn Armstrong said:
Then Joss is custom. Pechauer is custom. McDermott is custom. Viking is custom. Etc, etc, etc. They all do custom orders if you're willing to foot the bill.

you are right....they will do custom work - I've seen some of joss' one offs, and they are pretty nice. Do you not consider their customs to be customs? If I were to ask dan to make me an all zebrawood cue with ebony points (unlike ANY of their production cues), will it be less custom to you than if, say, Gilbert did it??? Put any custom makers name in there, since I'm not familiar with all of them.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
trustyrusty said:
you are right....they will do custom work - I've seen some of joss' one offs, and they are pretty nice. Do you not consider their customs to be customs? If I were to ask dan to make me an all zebrawood cue with ebony points (unlike ANY of their production cues), will it be less custom to you than if, say, Gilbert did it??? Put any custom makers name in there, since I'm not familiar with all of them.
Nope. If you read my posts, I'm anti-custom, because everyone calls themselves a custom cuemaker. It should just be "cuemaker". People consider Schons to be "production", yet I think Evan Clarke is up there with guys like Hercek, Szamboti, etc. in terms of the product he produces. His cues just make it into more hands.

There's only so much that can be done with wood, plastic, metal and leather. This isn't rocket science. It's cues. Unless you believe in fairy dust or "magic wood", the "custom" cuemakers like Josey, McWorter, SW et all, all make cues that were meant to play, for the most part. They hold no measureable advantage over a Meucci, Medici, McDermott, Viking, Schmelke, etc..

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It should just be "cuemaker".
Tap tap tap.
Who cares if one maker calls his cues " custom" if they look and hit like kaka?
Are they more valuable b/c the word " Custom" is in his logo, site or card?
One maker with 5 helpers in the back and has someone do the cnc programs for him and still calls his cues "custom" ....

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
skins said:
and you yours that explains your ignorance to the craft......
LMAO.

If you can leave the room while you perform your "art", it's no longer art from your hands.

With CNC programs and machines, I can leave the room after I press START, and come back to a cue that is fully cut out and ready for inlaying. The former artists actually had to touch the cue back in their day. Like I said, skins, your most valuable employee at Josey Cues is the Techno-Isel. Imagine what you couldn't do without it.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Shawn Armstrong said:
Nope. If you read my posts, I'm anti-custom, because everyone calls themselves a custom cuemaker. It should just be "cuemaker". People consider Schons to be "production", yet I think Evan Clarke is up there with guys like Hercek, Szamboti, etc. in terms of the product he produces. His cues just make it into more hands.

There's only so much that can be done with wood, plastic, metal and leather. This isn't rocket science. It's cues. Unless you believe in fairy dust or "magic wood", the "custom" cuemakers like Josey, McWorter, SW et all, all make cues that were meant to play, for the most part. They hold no measureable advantage over a Meucci, Medici, McDermott, Viking, Schmelke, etc..

Cool, we are in agreement then. I couldn't care less if "custom" is before or after the cuemaker label either. It's just funny how some think that a "production" (like it's a bad word) cuemaker can't make a great playing cue. I've played Joss', Jacobys, McDs, Schons, Pechauers, etc. that play up there with any "customs".....

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
I switch between a Schon and a Jacoby. I switched to playing with heavy cues lately, and found that only two makers make a great balanced heavy cue. Those are the two I play with.

tigerallenyim

Hate has no home here
Silver Member
skins said:
LOL.....

skins ----- thinks knowledge shouldn't be wasted on those who can't comprehend
Dude, don't u think that's kinda harsh? I think knowledge should always be shared, if not encouraged to be shared.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
trustyrusty said:
Cool, we are in agreement then. I couldn't care less if "custom" is before or after the cuemaker label either. It's just funny how some think that a "production" (like it's a bad word) cuemaker can't make a great playing cue. I've played Joss', Jacobys, McDs, Schons, Pechauers, etc. that play up there with any "customs".....
...or that for $400, it's better to buy a plain jane "custom" than a fancier Joss or McDermott.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
It should just be "cuemaker".
Tap tap tap.
Who cares if one maker calls his cues " custom" if they look and hit like kaka?
Are they more valuable b/c the word " Custom" is in his logo, site or card?
One maker with 5 helpers in the back and has someone do the cnc programs for him and still calls his cues "custom" ....

the poster asked "What do you think is a custom cue?" my answer is built to the specs of a customer....period. it doesn't matter what "tools" he uses to create it nor the number of people involved in the process. if it's built from nothing to all the specs of a customers request, it's a "custom" cue. as well everyone will have their likes, tastes, and desires for what they want in a cue. if they want plain or fancy, if they like floating points or traditional. the aspects are numerous. everyone also has an "opinion" as to what looks good and what looks as you say "kaka". to each their own i say. one mans kaka is another's WOW!

georgeh

Registered
Shawn Armstrong said:

I think that's what I said????

georgeh <didn't list the names, I guess.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
tigerallenyim said:
Dude, don't u think that's kinda harsh? I think knowledge should always be shared, if not encouraged to be shared.
It's how he makes himself feel big. What I'd love to know is what Keith Josey thinks of his employee's comments. Keith is one of the nicest guys on the planet, but as long as skins works for him, he'll never see any of my business again.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
tigerallenyim said:

your right it should be shared which is what i've been trying to do but remember "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink". after going to the well so many times and nothing sinks in, it becomes a waste for those who don't want to listen.