Custom Cue

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
skins said:
your right it should be shared which is what i've been trying to do but remember "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink". after going to the well so many times and nothing sinks in, it becomes a waste for those who don't want to listen.
What your problem is, skins, is you don't realize that someone can have a different opinion than you and still be intelligent. You assume because I don't share your opinion that I'm an idiot. I'm not. CNC has made life easier. It's also a bought skill. Computers are perfectly precise. Human hands aren't. So to draw the comparison between Paul Dayton and CNC makes sense. Not everyone can execute the cues that Paul makes with hand tools, and that is a gift. CNC is available to anyone with money. Case in point - look at those PC cue pics I sent you. I could start making your cues with the right machine and software. You can't buy talent, but you can buy technology. The problem is that you equate the two. Technology is not talent.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Shawn Armstrong said:
It's how he makes himself feel big. What I'd love to know is what Keith Josey thinks of his employee's comments. Keith is one of the nicest guys on the planet, but as long as skins works for him, he'll never see any of my business again.

"It's how he makes himself feel big".......oooooo.....got me!! ya know Shawn when you make statements like that they really reflect on yourself. FYI, i'm not Keith's "employee". i'm his, friend, brother from another mother, and partner in creating cues. Second your right, he and Sherrie are some of the nicest folks on the planet as well know about your little "tie raid" towards me and they back me 100% because they knows i speak the truth. if you don't believe me call him and get his response. your actions are only out of anger because i wouldn't back a point you were trying to make in another thread........all skate........

skins ------ isn't big because of what he says or thinks.....it's all the pizza that makes his 6'4" 260 lb. frame :D

Poke N Hope

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dawgie said:
What do you think is a custom cue? Is it a cue that you saw for sale on this or another site made by a cue maker? Is it a cue that has special inlays and fancy ring work? Is it a cue with sharp points and beautiful inalys? What is a custom cue to you?

I define a custom cue as this: Any cue that is made to my specifications and preferences. No matter how it is made CNC, Half-Splice or Full-splice. Can be made by one person or a group.

For the record I only buy and play with custom cues. Not because I won't buy a production cue, because I have to. My main specifications and preferences are 60"+ cue with Ivory Ferrules and Old Growth Maple shafts. I do not know of any production cue companys that have what I am looking for as standards.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
is a "tie raid" kinda like a "panty raid"?

skins said:
about your little "tie raid" towards me
skins ------ isn't big because of what he says or thinks.....it's all the pizza that makes his 6'4" 260 lb. frame :D

It's "tirade". Comes from the French word "tirade" (pronounced "tee-rod").

Stick to CNC programming. The community college doesn't care about grammar and spelling and stuff like that.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Shawn Armstrong said:
Technology is not talent.

never said it was but to "use" it the way some makers do is............

skins -------- waiting for the check......

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
skins said:
the poster asked "What do you think is a custom cue?" my answer is built to the specs of a customer....period. it doesn't matter what "tools" he uses to create it nor the number of people involved in the process. if it's built from nothing to all the specs of a customers request, it's a "custom" cue. as well everyone will have their likes, tastes, and desires for what they want in a cue. if they want plain or fancy, if they like floating points or traditional. the aspects are numerous. everyone also has an "opinion" as to what looks good and what looks as you say "kaka". to each their own i say. one mans kaka is another's WOW!
Ok.
So a guy wants a 21 OZ , 12.5 MM tip cue
I call a factory in China.
They drill up the handle and put a 3 oz bolt down there.
Hand sand the shaft down to 12.5 MM tip.
Presto! Custom cue.

Skins, I actually don't care for the "custom" tag anymore on cues.
Actually there are really kaka looking cues . :D

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
Ok.
So a guy wants a 21 OZ , 12.5 MM tip cue
I call a factory in China.
They drill up the handle and put a 3 oz bolt down there.
Hand sand the shaft down to 12.5 MM tip.
Presto! Custom cue.

Skins, I actually don't care for the "custom" tag anymore on cues.
Actually there are really kaka looking cues . :D
You forgot the magical application of cuemaker "custom dust".

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Shawn Armstrong said:
It's "tirade". Comes from the French word "tirade" (pronounced "tee-rod").

Stick to CNC programming. The community college doesn't care about grammar and spelling and stuff like that.

it's a play on words "sherlock". an attack on someone in a higher perceived position ie...one wearing the "tie" from one in the "mail room" :) . but now that you're grasping and revert to what every poster does when they know their falling in a whole....an attack on a perceived grammar mistake...ooooo.... let's see what you bring to the table............. it comes from you and others who can't spell.....

.......the "custom" cuemakers like Josey, McWorter, SW et all......

it's cue makers (two words)..........genius.....theres no such word(s) as "cuemaker(s)"

skins ------ tit for tat :p

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
Where do I get those?:D
Joey~Cue Hobbyist~
You have to learn the secret handshake of the ACA. Then, they'll send it to you with the price locking agreement and the subliminal tape entitled "Your CNC machine really IS better than the one at Schon Cues".

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
skins said:
it's a play on words "sherlock". an attack on someone in a higher perceived position ie...one wearing the "tie" from one in the "mail room" :) . but now that you're grasping and revert to what every poster does when they know their falling in a whole....an attack on a perceived grammar mistake...ooooo.... let's see what you bring to the table............. it comes from you and others who can't spell.....

.......the "custom" cuemakers like Josey, McWorter, SW et all......

it's cue makers (two words)..........genius.....theres no such word(s) as "cuemaker(s)"

skins ------ tit for tat :p
http://www.cuemakers.org/
>???

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I'm confused here...

I've been following this thread with interest.

In my case, I carry two cues that I enjoy playing with. One, a Jacoby J-2 that I bought back in the late 90's. The other is a Josey I bought from the "for sale" section of this site. A new cue, bought from Josey. One of his panto cues with sharp points. I just love the old sharp point style.
This cue was NOT made to my specs. At my age, 64, I don't want to wait years for a cue...hell, I might not be here when it's finished.

So, is this Josey a "custom"? Actually, I don't care. It's a treat to my eyes whenever I remove it from my (Jack Justis, as long as we're name dropping) case. It has a hit that I'm loving as well.

Another cue I have was purchased back in the early 70's. I bought it mainly to help a friend...he wanting a special price he could get by ordering two. Shortly after buying this cue, I got married, had a daughter to raise, a business to run, so it just got placed in a closet. MUCH later, I decided to take up pool again as a recreation.

This cue? Probably the holy grail of production cues for the collector.
A Palmer Model M from the second catalog. I don't play with it often for fear of being mugged. It's in mint original condition, even the original tips.

BUT...since I ordered this cue, it has my name under the clear ring. It has 14mm tips on both shafts, since at the time I thought they would work well with my large hands. Now, as far as I know, Gene Balner did not alter butt designs from the cues in his catalog.

BUT...since it's my name under the ring, and the tips made oversize at my request, is this a "custom" cue? I dunno, but I know I'll never sell it.

I guess I am confused about the distinctions being posted here. What I'm not confused about is knowing that I enjoy my cues...:)

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Shawn Armstrong said:
I'm to blame for that. skins will shortly show the proof of my stupidity.

just because someone chooses to make up a word and spells it that way doesn't make it grammatically correct. is "cuemaker(s)" in the dictionary?

here's a link for proof of your stupidity........

Dictionary.com

just type in "cuemaker" and see what comes up..........

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
pwd72s said:
I've been following this thread with interest.

In my case, I carry two cues that I enjoy playing with. One, a Jacoby J-2 that I bought back in the late 90's. The other is a Josey I bought from the "for sale" section of this site. A new cue, bought from Josey. One of his panto cues with sharp points. I just love the old sharp point style.
This cue was NOT made to my specs. At my age, 64, I don't want to wait years for a cue...hell, I might not be here when it's finished.

So, is this Josey a "custom"? Actually, I don't care. It's a treat to my eyes whenever I remove it from my (Jack Justis, as long as we're name dropping) case. It has a hit that I'm loving as well.

Another cue I have was purchased back in the early 70's. I bought it mainly to help a friend...he wanting a special price he could get by ordering two. Shortly after buying this cue, I got married, had a daughter to raise, a business to run, so it just got placed in a closet. MUCH later, I decided to take up pool again as a recreation.

This cue? Probably the holy grail of production cues for the collector.
A Palmer Model M from the second catalog. I don't play with it often for fear of being mugged. It's in mint original condition, even the original tips.

BUT...since I ordered this cue, it has my name under the clear ring. It has 14mm tips on both shafts, since at the time I thought they would work well with my large hands. Now, as far as I know, Gene Balner did not alter butt designs from the cues in his catalog.

BUT...since it's my name under the ring, and the tips made oversize at my request, is this a "custom" cue? I dunno, but I know I'll never sell it.

I guess I am confused about the distinctions being posted here. What I'm not confused about is knowing that I enjoy my cues...:)
I'm going to give you the 100% correct answer.

You have 3 cues. One is a Josey Cue. Another is a Jacoby Cue. The other is a Palmer Cue.

Let's just banish the word "custom" from the cue maker's vocabulary.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
skins said:
just because someone chooses to make up a word and spells it that way doesn't make it grammatically correct. is "cuemaker(s)" in the dictionary?

here's a link for proof of your stupidity........

Dictionary.com

just type in "cuemaker" and see what comes up..........
Don't blame me - blame the "clique" you belong to:

ACA - American Cuemakers Association www.cuemakers.org

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Shawn Armstrong said:
Don't blame me - blame the "clique" you belong to:

ACA - American Cuemakers Association

don't blame you??? you wrote it. just because you see someone else do it you assume it's correct?? ....besides i'm not "blaming" anyone but your the one with the "jump on anything you can" attitude. i was just giving "tit for tat" thats all. as far as the "clique", maybe you just displaying some animosity for an organization that you can't play ball with. ;)

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
..............stunned silence from skins.

Must be eating pizza (or choking on a Nike).

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
skins said:
don't blame you??? you wrote it. just because you see someone else do it you assume it's correct?? ....besides i'm not "blaming" anyone but your the one with the "jump on anything you can" attitude. i was just giving "tit for tat" thats all. as far as the "clique", maybe you just displaying some animosity for an organization that you can't play ball with. ;)
I'm Canadian. There's no CCA. The ACA won't take international members, and I really don't need validation from my peers that I make a good cue. I don't have "look at me, mommy" syndrome.

Now, are you almost done trying to make yourself look good? I'm getting bored.