How Does?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looked like the 8b re-bounded off the 9b just a tad and got re-hit by the cueball. Don't think it was a spin related deal imo.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look at the video frame by frame ( > key for one frame forward, < key for one frame back ) after hitting pause, it does not look like the cue ball hits the 8 ball twice.

It could be that the shot was too fast for the frame to frame to have caught the double hit, but it sure did not look like it (double hit).

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you look at the video frame by frame ( > key for one frame forward, < key for one frame back ) after hitting pause, it does not look like the cue ball hits the 8 ball twice.

It could be that the shot was too fast for the frame to frame to have caught the double hit, but it sure did not look like it (double hit).
That way of forward-backward leaves out some footage. Too fast to tell that way.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could also be that the cue ball landed on the 8 in such a way that the 8 jumped up, hit the 9, and kept traveling forward. But I don’t think it would be going forward that fast.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That way of forward-backward leaves out some footage. Too fast to tell that way.
Yeah, maybe if someone could recreate the shot with a higher FPS camera (GoPro Hero9 240FPS?) it would be clear.

The video is 30FPS.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This can be recreated in Virtual Pool. The result is very, very touchy about the exact speed, elevation and position of the balls.

Here's a video of something close to the shot. Note that the 8 and 9 leave at about the same speed. I didn't get the direction quite right, but I think that could be fixed with another half hour of fiddling.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This can be recreated in Virtual Pool. The result is very, very touchy about the exact speed, elevation and position of the balls.

Here's a video of something close to the shot. Note that the 8 and 9 leave at about the same speed. I didn't get the direction quite right, but I think that could be fixed with another half hour of fiddling.

That's what happened. Good job Bob.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Food for thought:

Running original on full screen at .25 speed, it appears to me that the cue ball hits the 8 further back, with less arc than the Virtual Pool example, and the cue ball almost, or does, contact cloth and the 8 simultaneously. Further, in the Virtual Pool example, the cue ball dies at point of impact with the 8 and does not track off to the right as shown in the original.

Is the accuracy of the Virtual Pool program such that we should expect to see the same post-strike track to the right if all variables (arc, point of impact, etc.) are the same as original?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could also be that the cue ball landed on the 8 in such a way that the 8 jumped up, hit the 9, and kept traveling forward. But I don’t think it would be going forward that fast.
This is my theory.

The forward motion of the 8 caused it to climb the 9, which then disappeared...leaving forward motion on the 8.

Can somebody post svb's phone# so we can ask him if he
Knows what happened
Has done it other times
Can recreate it?

And the link to the Dr Dave page...!!